Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got our Prius yesterday and the salesman told us we can charge the battery in the Smart Key by pluging it into the keyslot in the dash. I don't see how this is possible with the battery DEEP inside the key with no metal contacts to the outside, but I'm no Toyota salesman.

Am I missing something, or was I the only buyer told this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Once again, you have been had by a poorly trained dealer making up features as he goes. What else did he tell you that is strange or crazy?

The battery for the fob is a CR2032, easily available at any discounter or mass merchandiser. They are a pretty large button battery.

So, that means they don't recharge in the slot. The manual also indicates that batteries in the fobs are replaceable and if you have SKS you will probably replace them about once every 2 years, or when you feel that range or response time from the SKS system is limited.

Anyway, a recharging system in the key slot wouldn't be all that useful if you had SKS as the key would be in your pocket, not in the slot.

Do you have SKS on your Prius?

Do yourself a huge favor and read the manual. Best investment in time I made when I got the car. And keep reading the forums and asking questions.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
jeromep said:
Once again, you have been had by a poorly trained dealer making up features as he goes. What else did he tell you that is strange or crazy?...Do yourself a huge favor and read the manual. Best investment in time I made when I got the car. And keep reading the forums and asking questions.
And some day drive over to the dealership and kick the sales weenie in the drawers. Percussive maint. works on sales weenies, too. Idjits. :roll:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Sanny said:
jeromep said:
Once again, you have been had by a poorly trained dealer making up features as he goes. What else did he tell you that is strange or crazy?...Do yourself a huge favor and read the manual. Best investment in time I made when I got the car. And keep reading the forums and asking questions.
And some day drive over to the dealership and kick the sales weenie in the drawers. Percussive maint. works on sales weenies, too. Idjits. :roll:
Ow, ow, ow! Mental note: Never tick off Sanny! :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
And never, never, NEVER kick the left front tire while the battery is in the slot charging!
:wink:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
jeromep said:
Do yourself a huge favor and read the manual. Best investment in time I made when I got the car. And keep reading the forums and asking questions.
At least read the Users-Guide on John's website. It is quick and easy to read and gives you most of the stuff you really need. Print it and have everyone who will drive your car read it. It is time well spent for a new owner! http://john1701a.com/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Speaking of uninformed sales staff (I originally type salesmen, but didn't want to incur the wrath of Sanny! :lol: ), when I picked up my car the salesman took my for a drive. He informed me that the NAV system always had north facing up. I knew that wasn't the case, but let it go.

The one that really tickled me was when he kept shifting to "B" whenever he slowed down TO INCREASE REGENERATION!

I sat there in the back seat just shaking my head. He was the dealer's Prius "expert".

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The salesman may have been confused about the fact that the fob will work in the slot, even if the battery is dead. The fob picks up enough power from the slot to exchange the ID, much like RFID works in stores to prevent theft, or the way our badges work around here to get into the building where I work. We just wave our badges near a pickup coil with a tri-color LED that lets us know we were authenticated and permitted in.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Dealership fun:

Next time you take your Prius in for a service... you know you're going to be there for awhile, so have some fun... sneak around to the sales side and look for a Prius. Ask to take it for a test drive... ask lots of questions.... listen closely to the answers...

And then when you get done... As to see the manager, and explain to both him, and the salesman exactly what they said was wrong and why...

Then, ask for them to pay you for edjimicating them :p

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Frightening, truely frightening the **** they make up. There are already so many misconceptions out there on the truely technical stuff you'd at least think/hope that simple stuff like a fob battery would make sense to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts