Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Prius is "Salsa Red Pearl with Ivory/Brown interior" with package #9. The fabric (cloth) cover is coming off the center console at the front edge. I took it into a Toyota dealer (not the one I bought it from), and they said that the fabric cover is not a standard Toyota material, and the dealer I bought it from must have changed it for some reason. They claim that the standard material is leather, although there's no other leather anywhere in my car. However, looking at the Interior 360 degree view on the Toyota web site, my interior looks exactly like what I see there. So my question to others with package #9 is this: Is the material on your center console cloth or leather? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does the fabric seem/feel velvety like the material on the seats? It would make sense to me that it would also be the Alacantara (spelling?) material used on the seats. I don't have mine yet, but I've sat in a few #9 ivory/brown Prius, and that center console material does have me worried with regards to durability and keeping clean.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sbgreene said:
My Prius is "Salsa Red Pearl with Ivory/Brown interior" with package #9. The fabric (cloth) cover is coming off the center console at the front edge. I took it into a Toyota dealer (not the one I bought it from), and they said that the fabric cover is not a standard Toyota material, and the dealer I bought it from must have changed it for some reason. They claim that the standard material is leather, although there's no other leather anywhere in my car. However, looking at the Interior 360 degree view on the Toyota web site, my interior looks exactly like what I see there. So my question to others with package #9 is this: Is the material on your center console cloth or leather? Thanks.
I BELIEVE that the material is the same as the seats... and I've had no problem keeping it clean. Keep this post going and I'll check the interior cleaner I have... it's taken out soda and oil so far :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about: my salsa #9 is suffering from the same problem. It started happening around 10,200 miles and it's not too bothersome, but I keep having to stuff the edges back into console. That is the material from the car; the dealership is probably lying to you. The reason being is Toyota is notorious for making big big parts that you have to order. For example, in April my cargo cover hooks at the end of the cover by the hatch kept unscrewing and wouldn't stay in. Probably 2 dollars at most to fix, but they had to buy a new cover for over 300 dollars. They probably don't want to fix it because they would have to buy a new center console for something like 500 dollars. I know what material you are describing and that does come with the car. Insist that they replace it; if they don't, either call Toyota of America or go to another dealership. Best of luck :wink:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
nmpriusman said:
...Probably 2 dollars at most to fix, but they had to buy a new cover for over 300 dollars. They probably don't want to fix it because they would have to buy a new center console for something like 500 dollars...
It is my understanding that the dealer/service department doesn't pay for warranty parts; they simply charge those costs back to the manufacturer.

If this is true, then it's not a matter of not wanting to pay; it's probably more or less a lack of education about the car, a concern for getting in trouble for ordering too many warranty items, or worse yet, plain old simple laziness on the part of the service tech.

I would recommend that you go back and insist that they fix it, particularly if it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That dealer is feeding you a bunch of you know what. Leather is NOT standard on any prius. The material on the console will normally be that velvety stuff. I use Scotch guard on my cars before I start to drive them. The old scotch guard was foamy. The new stuff is not. It used to be miraculous-- even after many, many years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally, I live in my car on a daily basis having to get in and out approx. 30-50 x in a day and 3000 miles a month.

I was comcerned about three areas: the door handle , the center console and the headliner over the driver's door.

In all of my work cars previously, body oils have accumulated on fabric surfaces to such an extent so as to become quite dark.

My Fix:

Went to an upholsterer and purchased enough thin leather to cover the door handles and center console. While taking the console apart was relatively easy ( a sort of clamshell design) sectioning and tucking all of the leather bits '"neatly"'"was a bit difficult.

The doors were easier, and to eliminate glues, one can tuck leather between door panel and handle. Removing the finger cup inset, you can section it enought to allow reinstallation.

Use the sharpest razor knife or OLFA knife you can find.

With both of these pieces, cleaning is a breeze.

The headliner I applied SCOTCHGARD.

I managed to get the leather for $10.00 and an hour and half of my time.
SCOTCHGARD extra... :)

My 2 cents worth :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I got my seat covers from GT Covers (gtcovers.com), the front set included a cover for the center console.

By the way, I'm still trying to figure out how to install the cover for the rear seats. If anyone has advice or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
To install the rear cover grab the rear bench under the middle of both outboard seats and pull hard straight up. You well then see a hook in the middle of the back of the seat that you just push down on the seat and pull foward to remove the seat. Remove the one bolt that holds the center seat belt and your good to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hondavalk_ said:
To install the rear cover grab the rear bench under the middle of both outboard seats and pull hard straight up. You well then see a hook in the middle of the back of the seat that you just push down on the seat and pull foward to remove the seat. Remove the one bolt that holds the center seat belt and your good to go.
2004 with GT Covers
hmm I didn't see a center hook
I did have a stiff wire from the back of the seat itself get caught on a piece of metal ... shown in the pics

l didnt need to remove the bolt for the center seatbelt either ( may need to for other seatcovers )
just a scewdriver to tuck the seatcovers under the seatbelt guide

for install pics
http://www.fiberpipe.net/~aem/prius/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts