Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of my CDs has title displays (although they do display when I play them on my computer). Also, only one station has a display. What's the deal?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
When you play them on your computer, the computer reads the serial # of the CD, and retrieves the play list from a database on the internet.

The audio system in the Prius relies on CD-text to display the play list. Most commercial CDs don't have this encoding. You can re-burn your CD with CD-Text, and then the Prius will display the tracks.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
drtravel47 wrote:

"Dan,
Are there any specific settings on your computer to do this?
(Really, the question is: is it worth it just to see the titles?)!!!!

What about the names of radio stations. I live in the NY area and have only seen 2 stations where their names show up. (of course, not anything I have programmed on my radio). "

I have posted your reply here so that others can benefit from the answer.

You'd have to look at your CD burning SW on its options for CD-Text. I am not sure if simply labeling the WAV or CDA files that represent the tracks is enough.

As for the radio displaying text, it depends if the radio station transmits RDS. In NYC I do believe there are more than just 2 that transmit this info. They at least transmit their call sign, and some transmit more.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
RDS

The CD-TEXT question has already been answered...

As for the radio stations, that all depends on the radio stations in your area (if they're sending out an RDS signal) and also what they've chosen to broadcast on that signal.

I was saddened to see that on the 2004+ Prius, they've removed the FMType audio screen (now only FM1 and FM2). On Classic Prius, when you did an RDS search, all of the found stations with an RDS signal would be put onto the FMType series of screens - you'd have a different page for Jazz, Country, Talk, Informational, Rock, etc. categories. It would make traveling through different broadcast areas much easier to find a station that you like...

There are two data areas with the RDS signal stations: a display area above the station number/frequency, and a Message display area (only viewable when moving <5mph).

Most stations just put their call letters above the frequency (ex. WGBH 89.7), but some will put their station nickname (B101 101.5). Some will even put the current song/artist in this display area, which will scroll back and forth to display all the letters...

As for the Message area, that's really dependent on the station. Some will put the current song title/artist and maybe even album up. Some will list the upcoming song title/artist. Some just put advertisements there (Thanks for listening to us! is fairly common.)

It's not so much a function of the car as to what is displayed. It's up to the radio stations in your area to broadcast an RDS signal, and how they choose to implement it.

(At least that's how it works in the US. I hear that the European Prius implementation of RDS is considered rather crippled, as on other cars (non-Prius) it'll pick up real-time traffic data and merge it with the navigation data... Here in the US all the TRAF button does is make you confused about what radio station you were last on, makes your radio come on at wierd moments, and maybe occasionally will switch to a radio station that is currently giving an audio traffic report...)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I noticed that the genre the stations fall into isn't always correct anyway, which might have influenced radio makers to skip a category-based screen.

WRFX in Charlotte wasn't listed as a Rock station when I first scanned for them up there. Haven't used that function while there lately, so I don't know if that was fixed...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts