Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,Ibought a cd set kit for my 2002 prius.It no longer comes with a y cable and they no longer make them.Does anyone know where i can get one or does anyone know how to make one.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
per US TSB AX002-03.pdf : http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 002-03.pdf June 9, 2003, CD Fitting Kit Adapter Harness, 2003 Prius

Fitting kit: old=08695-47020 new=08695-47800
1 CD in-dash player: old=08601-00870 new=08601-47801
6 CD in-dash changer: old=08601-00891 new=08601-47800
(Toyota changed the CD players and the required fitting kit in 2003,
to remove the offending Y-cable adaptor harness (now built into the CD player/changer itself) that kept causing a
series of display problems we call "Newarkitis." so, get the matching
fitting
kit to go with the player you want. Try checking with some scrapyards/junkyards. I'll note that the new 6CD changer
is the same part number sold as an accessory for the 2004 Prius...)

I know that I've seen a part number listed somewhere for just the Y-cable, and not the rest of the fitting kit, but darn it if I can find it right now... It does exist, though.

on further reading, I see that the old fitting kit part number is not sold anymore. :( still looking for the Y-cable only PN...

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Finally found the old thread about this:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/80825

Basically, prior to 2003 the 1CD player or 6CD changer was just the CD unit, and you needed the fitting kit (which was the Y-cable and mounting brackets).
In 2003, the Y-cable was integrated into the 1CD player or 6CD changer, and the new fitting kit PN superceeded the old PN, and this new fitting kit is just the mounting brackets.

If you buy one of the old-style 1CD player or 6CD changers (probably 2nd hand on eBay or through a junkyard), then you have to buy the new fitting kit (mounting brackets) and the Y-cable separately.

Y-cable part number 08695-00370

See: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/80835

(Eddie Bell is good on pricing and shipping for Prius owners!)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just want to ask, for the y cable, is the one for 1 disc cd player same as the 6 discs cd player? I recently purchase a 6 disc cd player from a wreak 02 prius to replace the 1 disc cd player in my 01 prius.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My understanding is that for 2001 and 2002, the 1 CD and 6 CD players used the same Y cable.

Try it and see. Even if it's wrong, no damage should ensue, though until you get it right, you may have problems with the MFD and the tape player. By the way, it's pretty easy to get the Y cable installed backward. If you notice display problems, try swapping the two connections with like connectors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
^ thanks...just try it and it work and play! I can see now from the MFD is the "cd" picture is gone, and three more button add on (disc rpt, disc rand, disc scan). But just one more question, is it normal if I change the cd through the cd changer? or there might be a right wire for the 6 disc changer out there so that I can change cd through MFD (for example the pic I show below, but it's for md changer) instead of the changer?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
ea8631 said:
^ thanks...just try it and it work and play! I can see now from the MFD is the "cd" picture is gone, and three more button add on (disc rpt, disc rand, disc scan). But just one more question, is it normal if I change the cd through the cd changer? or there might be a right wire for the 6 disc changer out there so that I can change cd through MFD (for example the pic I show below, but it's for md changer) instead of the changer?

You cannot pick the CD you want of the 6CD changer on the Classic Prius' MFD. You'd have to change it on the changer. Unless you got the adapter board from Harry that fixes the display bug... see the "6 Disc Screen Buttons" at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bumpelo/front.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
ATTENTION: PLEASE DON"T MAKE THE MISTAKE THAT I MADE. Y-cable part number 08695-00370 DOES NOT FIT the 2001-2003 Prius. Someone posted that number long ago in error. That part is for a Celica! I confirmed this with:
Jesse Wright
Internet Parts Sales
Metro Toyota
Cleveland, OH

It appears that Toyota is truly not making this cable available, maybe because it is possible to install it backwards, which caused them to have to issue a TSB. I have emailed Toyota and will post their response, if I receive one. Here is my email to Toyota:

In order to add a CD player to my 2002 Prius, I need a Y-cable that my dealer says is no longer available. I'm hoping that is not actually correct! If it is, I'm hoping to get the technical information needed to build the cable myself. The cable was included with the Fitting Kit, with part number 08695-47020. It is the cable shown in the drawing in TSB EL013–00.
Thank you for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts