Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2004 Prius is almost 12 months old. It has started rejecting CDs once in a while, even CDs I have played in the car.

Does it just need a cleaning, or can something else be going bad in the CD player?

If it just needs a cleaning, should I get one of the CDs meant for that, or is there another way to clean the player?

Thanks,

Maurice Frank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can of compressed air, and buy one of those lens cleaner CDs they work wonders. If you continue to have problems, pound on the dashboard, then see your dealer, and see if your warranty covers it. 8)

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you're playing CDs that you made yourself with your own CD labels, your player might be sensitive to that extra thickness (mine is).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies

Thanks, folks. I have a can of compressed air and will try that first. I'll also get a CD cleaner.

The CDs my Prius' CD player is rejecting are commercial store bought discs, and I've played them in the car before.

Also, I've noticed that after the car has been running a while the rejected CDs will now play, so maybe it is related to cold or warm up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Maurice Frank

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
toxygen said:
Can of compressed air, and buy one of those lens cleaner CDs they work wonders. If you continue to have problems, pound on the dashboard, then see your dealer, and see if your warranty covers it. 8)
Don't forget to get out and kick the left front tire, too. That's the universal maint. tip.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sanny said:
toxygen said:
Don't forget to get out and kick the left front tire, too. That's the universal maint. tip.
It also helps to beat on the ground with a club and scream at the top of your lungs.

Don't believe me? Try it. (But please give me a heads-up as to when and where - I want to get it on video.)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
Sanny said:
toxygen said:
It also helps to beat on the ground with a club and scream at the top of your lungs.

Don't believe me? Try it. (But please give me a heads-up as to when and where - I want to get it on video.)
Sorry folks. Hate to be a spoil sport. All the suggested techniques are urban legends. However, the following has been tested, and will work:

1. Open both front doors
2. Lay on back on front seat
3. Place right foot in glove box.
4. Push "Disc"

It has something to do with the ICE in the SOC by the MFD. 8) 8)

·
Registered
363 Posts
coloradospringsprius said:
No, no, that's a diagnositic technique, not a repair step.

Pulling of hair and rending of garments can also be useful at this stage.

Then quietly and calmly blow the dust out of he cd player and check the cd's for scratches or dirt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not sure if this may be your problem, but I had my 6 CD changer reject a few CDs so far. All of them had very sharp edges, and I heard the changer being unable to load the CD properly. Thinking that the catchy edge might be the problem, I trimmed the edges of the CD with a small knife, until they were smooth, and voila, they played well. These were all CDs that played ok in other units, so my guess is the JVC one is just very finnicky.
M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts