Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The CD player has stopped working in my '04 Prius (48K miles). I put a disk in and it tries to read it and can't so it spits the disk out after a few seconds. This used to be intermittent but now it is always.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I tried a lense cleaner disk but that didn't help.
I'm guessing it is the lense or the laser. Does anyone know where I can get instructions on how to diagnos and fix this problem myself? Where can I get directions on how to remove the radio? Is this stuff covered in the factory repair manual?

Thank a lot!
Joe

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yes, the factory repair manual would describe how to remove the head unit. You could also follow a PDF that shows how to install the XM option the long way, as you have to get access to the back of the radio to install XM.
The repair manual wouldn't go any further than that, as the radio would be replaced as a whole.

But I can offer my experience with CD-Rom readers.
My mom and my dad have experienced poor CD reads, even after using the CD cleaning disk. The problem with the cleaning disk is that it is only a tiny brush, that might not actually hit the lens since other parts might swash the brush. Also if there is sticky dirt or grease, the cleaning disk would make it worse.
Instead, I took a cotton swab dipped in isopropyle alcohol. If it is the 80% kind, be sure the only additive is water. Rub lightly with the moistened swab. I did it since I had nothing to lose and it helped tremendously. But there is a risk of scratching the lens and causing permenant damage, so if the radio is under warranty (factory or extended), then have it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
joedvil said:
Hi,
I tried a lense cleaner disk but that didn't help.
I'm guessing it is the lense or the laser. Does anyone know where I can get instructions on how to diagnos and fix this problem myself? Where can I get directions on how to remove the radio? Is this stuff covered in the factory repair manual?
This will tell you how to remove the radio.
http://www.chrisdragon.com/prius/

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts