Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Just got a black '04 Prius and absolutely love this car.

Before I go into the details of the subject of this post, F.Y.I. let me just tell you a bit about what we get in the Prii available down here in Puerto Rico, USA.

The Prius is sold in a one model confinguration with a base price of US$23,645. That means there are no "packages" and no options; no DVD navigation, no side or curtain airbags, no JBL premium audio system and (sniff, sniff) no Bluetooth.

The things we DO get (which may or may not be options in the continental US) for the $23k are: Intermittent rear window wiper, cruise control, Dual non-heated color-keyed power outside mirrors, smart entry and start system, single CD player and the auto-dimming electrochromatic rearview mirror with HomeLink universal transceiver.

What I'm dying for is a way to add either a CD or MiniDisc (MD) changer for '04. I understand that there is a way to integrate an iPod to the system but I just love the multifunction display and would not like to lose the elegance of having the artist name and song title displayed on it.

Googling around I did find somebody who successfully added an MD changer he had shipped from Japan...but for the '03 model. Does anybody know any info about something like this but for the '04?

I also have lying around an old Kenwood KSC-WA801 powered subwoofer but haven't installed it because I just don't know enough about the electrical system of the Prius to install it. If anybody knows any info about adding a sub, let us all know by posting the info here.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
part numbers:

Audio, 2004
08601-47800 6-Disc In-Dash Changer PPO P6
08695-00370 Wire Harness *1
08695-47800 Installation Kit *1
*1 Required to complete installation

that'll install a 6CD changer in the cubbyhole slot in the dash below the screen.

The only audio-in for iPods and such I've seen for the 2004 is the Dension Icelink v1.1:
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?o ... &Itemid=79

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Michelle,

Does this mean if I get a package #7, the single CD player can be upgraded to the 6 disc in-dash system? My dealer didn't know and the service dept. had long gone home. Does that system also have the cassette option, too?

Has anyone else had this done? I'd be interested in feedback.

Barbara

·
Registered
149 Posts
#7...

My Seaside pearl #7 came with the standard single CD and I had the in-dash 6-disc added to the pocket below that. So I have a single CD and a 6-disc changer...all in dash! This is the standard (non-JBL/amp) system, but it still sounds great. Wish it played MP3s, that'd be sweet. Love my Prius!! Enjoy...

·
Registered
149 Posts
PS #7...

No cassette, sorry, I didn't say that in above post! Bonehead am I. Doh!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
If you have the standard audio system (1CD in-dash), and you add the 6CD changer accessory into the dash cubbyhole, you have a total of 7CDs that you can have loaded. No cassette.

I've heard some people drooling over the IceLink for an audio-in jack (specifically for an iPod).

·
Registered
30 Posts
mrv said:
If you have the standard audio system (1CD in-dash), and you add the 6CD changer accessory into the dash cubbyhole, you have a total of 7CDs that you can have loaded. No cassette.

I've heard some people drooling over the IceLink for an audio-in jack (specifically for an iPod).
Confused. I know what an iPod is. What's an Icelink? Is it part of the 6CD changer accessory? Sorry if it's a dumb question. I barely get up-to-speed on most new technology and then I find out I know nuthin! :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
icelink

Barbara in LA said:
mrv said:

Confused. I know what an iPod is. What's an Icelink? Is it part of the 6CD changer accessory? Sorry if it's a dumb question. I barely get up-to-speed on most new technology and then I find out I know nuthin! :oops:

They only started shipping within the last month, and are already out of stock... I know a few Prius owners were drooling over them, but I don't know if anyone has tried one out in a Prius yet. (2004 Prius is in the supported models.)
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?o ... &Itemid=79
Looks like it's a cradle for an Apple iPod (http://www.apple.com/ipod/), with integrated power connectors for the car's 12v accessory outlet, and also a line-out capability that directly links into the car's existing audio system, pretending to be an added CD changer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MP3

Considering that nowadays MP3 playing capabilities can be implemented very cheaply, I am still wondering why, being the Prius such an incredibly advanced and technology-driven vehicle, Toyota did not went for an MP3 capable CD radio.

If my suspicions are correct, the vast majority of radios that come with Toyota cars are made by Panasonic. Well, Panasonic is no stranger to MP3 playing devices!

Does anybody know or have a clue or theory?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts