Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has any comments concerning carrying three bikes on a 2004 Prius.

Have been looking and can't decide between roof racks like Yakima or Thule and rear mounts like Thule or Saris Bones.

I understand there is the possibility of getting a hitch from Coastal Tech or some such, but we are planning on leaving for the Yukon on the 27th of June and we are not expected to take delivery of this car until the 20th.

We live in Victoria, BC and are planning on driving up-island and taking the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert and then up to Whitehorse via the Cassiar Highway, which I have heard is big gravel. Should be interesting!

Thanks,

Duncan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thule Speedway three-bike rack

I bought this rack because it was listed on the Thule web site as being compatible with the 04 Prius.
However, after a few months of use, there was minor damage to the paint of the spoiler, caused by rubbing between the spoiler and the frame of the rack.
Thule instructions on the web site were to set the angle of the rack at setting #8, seating the rack on the rear bumper, and hooking the stays under the bumper. This is what caused the rubbing and bad fit.
After experimenting we found eventually that the rack performs very well by using setting #7, seating the base on the bottom lip of the license plate-well, and hooking the stays under the bottom of the hatch.
This installation has the added advantage of allowing to open the hatch with the rack in place.

See the attached photo.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The hitch on the coastal sight is a basic install - if you can handle tools at all , I can't imagine it would take much longer than another form. Also, it is a quick removal and no worries about the finish on your Prius.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow! That Corolla featured on the link you provided is a 1000x better looking than the version sold here in the states, imho. Nuts! Toyota knows it has to go the extra mile (or kilometer) to make it's cars aesthetically pleasing to the German car buyer. Nice looking cars...even the website is more stylish. :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a custom hitch installed for $150.00 and bought a Hollywood Traveler 3 bike hitch rack for 139.99 (will prolly only carry one to 2 bikes)
I have used trunk racks before on my previous car and I feel much safer
with the hitch option, both to my Prius and to my bike

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just installed the Coastal E Tech's hitch today. Very easy install. It took me about 40 min to do. The hardest part was removing the black cover that aids in reducing wind resistance. The main reason I got the hitch is to carry my Segway instead of putting it in the back so many times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts