Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Coastal tech makes one. Photos of the hitch aren't terribly obtrusive.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is that the 1 1/4" or 2" hitch? I can't get over that folks say it won't wobble with two bikes on it. What bike rack did you choose? It looks like a nice set up.

Tom

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tom,

I have the 2" coastal tech hitch. The bike rack is the Allen DELUXE 3 BIKE CARRIER FOR 2" HITCHES MODEL 530RR.

http://www.allenracks.com/products/hitch/530rr.html

I got a great deal at Overstock.com at about $80.00 about 1 year ago. I purchased it knowing I would be getting the Prius. I've used it well with my Mazda 626 using an 1 1/4 to 2" hitch adapter.

HOWEVER, I would suggest another bike rack as you cannot open up the hatchback with the bike rack having it's forks extended without lowering the entire rack which it WILL do. I do hear that the Yakama Kingpin 4 rack will also swing away but you can still open the hatch with the rack still upright with the forks extended.

Here's what I mean.

Picture with rack with forks closed allow clearance of hatchback door.

Picture showing open forks with bike attached you loose the clearance.

Picture with bikes attached and the rack swung away from Prius.

·
Registered
2 Posts
U-haul makes a 1 1/4 receiver hitch to fit the Prius. Their # 24743 @ $119.95. Simple bolt on installation or opt to have U-haul install for another $55.00

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I would guess they were made by the same manafacturer. Somebody was advertising these last year on "E" bay until "Coastal" I believe shut them down. And that $55.00 charge for installation seems rather high unless it comes with tailight wireing harness. They use the "threaded holes" already in the Prius frame which was used for securing the car to packing crate. Shouldn't take over 15 minutes to install hitch alone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just got the Coastal 2 inch hitch and a Thule Bike rack. It works very well, much easier than any other bike rack I've ever had. I'll try to post a picture in the next few days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
two quick hitch mount questions

I am looking into getting a bike rack for my Prius and I am trying to decide between the Saris Bones rack or a hitch mount rack. My questions are thus;

1. How easy is it to remove the bike rack from the hitch mount? Obviously, removing the mount itself is a major task, but I just want to be able to get the rack itself on and off relatively quickly so I don't have it on the car when I'm not transporting bikes. Unfortunately, I'm new to biking as well as Prius ownership, so I'm not sure how the rack itself attaches to the hitch mount

2. Has anyone noticed a major difference in gas mileage or any other operational problems/annoyances with the hitch mount?

Thanks!
sean.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Prius/Bike rack on car talk today

Guy called in to Car Talk today. He has an 05 Prius and said his hitch mounted bike rack caused his mpg to drop dramatically. The weight is less than 100 lbs, so that wasn't it, but they all decided that the wind resistance caused sufficient drag to make his mileage drop.

"Disturbing the delicate aerodynamics of the vehicle."

The caller said he traded in a Maxima. He doesn't like the sound system, sight lines out the back are bad, but otherwise likes it.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I expect mileage to drop with a bike and hitch. It's a lot of drag but probably less than with a roof rack, since the latter is in the high pressure zone.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I mounted a Thule Hitching Post Pro 4-bike rack (934XT) to a Coastal 2" receiver hitch. So far, so good!

Easy to install (one bolt plus the bolt lock). It doesn't rock much, in fact it rocks the car, rather than bends, if I put my weight on it. A bungee cord (or the strap included) should control bike sway.

I can open the rear hatch without pivoting the rack down by nudging the handlebars for the neariest bike just an inch. At first I thought it was hanging them out far from the car, but now I see why-- for that hatch clearance.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
mrv said:
http://www.coastaletech.com/hitch.htm
http://www.coastaletech.com/04hitch.htm

If you were in Europe, there is a Toyota hitch available (I haven't been following which country, but I think Netherlands or maybe one of the Scandinavian countries)
Michelle, can you (anyone) give me the relative merits of the 1 1/4" hitch vs the 2" ? I am thinking of it as a way to attach a platform/accessory that will carry a small lightweight disabled scooter...such as the ones you have been helpful in having me find.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts