Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a cargo net for the rear of my Prius. They did provide me with one, but I have no idea how to install it. It is supposed to prevent groceries etc. from moving around and it obviously installs by means of the loops attached. The problem? I can find nothing to attach the loops to.

Does anyone have one of these? How did you manage to get it on? My Toyota dealership is just as puzzled. :?: :?: :roll:

·
Registered
381 Posts
On the 2004? I installed mine awhile ago (made sure I specified "2004 Prius" when they ordered it). It came with a pair of templates to drill a small hole in the plastic trim just inside the hatch on each side (they had to be taped in place; any tape will do). With the holes drilled, I just pushed in the two supplied rings, which expanded an attached pin similar to how a drywall anchor works. Beyond that, I just clipped the net to those two on the top, and the existing (metal) rings at the bottom. :)

P.S. Bungie cords are also useful in a 2004; I think someone mentioned something about them in a topic here or other website. Whoever it was, thanks for the tip. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey, check this site out for lots of installation help: http://www.vfaq.net/Mods-body.html. I've installed a compass mirror using part of the mirror instructions from this site. Very well done, with pics! Drive fun, drive clean, Drive Prius!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Alan Becker said:
I wanted a cargo net for the rear of my Prius. They did provide me with one, but I have no idea how to install it. It is supposed to prevent groceries etc. from moving around and it obviously installs by means of the loops attached. The problem? I can find nothing to attach the loops to.

Does anyone have one of these? How did you manage to get it on? My Toyota dealership is just as puzzled. :?: :?: :roll:
Alan,
My '04 came with a cargo net installed. The net I have has a plastic clip at each of the four corners, which snap into four corresponding D rings in the rear compartment. It also has a small black plastic tab with Toyota printed on it in red. When installed, the net rides perpendicular to the floor, parallel to the little window below the sloping hatchback window. Two of the D rings are at floor level (above the spare tire compartment) and the other two are up a little higher. Assuming mine was installed correctly (and it appears so to me) I would say the factory provided cargo net is intended to prevent things from sliding out when the hatchback is opened, not to secure items when driving.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered and installed the cargo net. It's very easy. You just need to tape the template to the sides and drill a hole in both sides. Pop in the hooks and you are ready to go. It takes about 10 minutes. It serves two purposes. It keeps packages from moving when driving and also keeps things from falling out the hatch. I rarely use mine now because I also ordered the cargo tote which I use all the time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was just snooping around in the cargo area and saw two more D rings located where the cargo floor meets the back seats. I'd never noticed them before. Pretty silly of me. I'm sure these are for attaching the cargo net when you want to stretch it over the entire cargo area.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
...or alternatively, for bungie cords if you're trying to tie down other loose objects like shelves. Yeah, I missed those too the first time I had a use for them... :wink: Great idea for the cargo net; thanks! :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually, the 4 rings on the floor are to tie down a flat tire. I don't think a full size tire will fit into the well for the spare tire, so Toyota included a strap set to tie the flat down to the floor.

They also work well with bungee's for anything else. I also got the cargo net dealer-installed. When installed across the back hatch opening, it's a double layer web that can be opened to hold a few grocery bags.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I want to know how several of you were lucky enough to get a cargo net "thrown in" with your 2004 Prius. I got nothing thrown in.... Karen Ann

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
karenann said:
I want to know how several of you were lucky enough to get a cargo net "thrown in" with your 2004 Prius. I got nothing thrown in.... Karen Ann
the cargo net comes as standard equipment in Canada. (although Toyota Canada forgot to include it on some early shipments, talk to your dealer about getting you what you deserve.)

·
Registered
119 Posts
For our 2003 Prius, I use the cargo net to keep the dogs in the back seat. I just took the headrests off the front seat and then placed them back on with the edge of the cargo net being held in place by the rods that go into our seats from the headrests. I know that this is not what it is intended for, but it works pretty well.

Have Fun, Jill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone know how much the cargo net is from the dealer?

Patrick

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Patman36 said:
Anyone know how much the cargo net is from the dealer?

Patrick
US part number: PT347-47040
US port-added accessory PPO # GN
MSRP: $49

depending on what dealer's parts department you go through, or if you have a coupon (often comes in the mail, or can be found on the dealer's web site), you can probably get it for cheaper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's also another cargo net, one that's horizontal and makes use of the four rings in the cargo area. In the Netherlands the part number is
PZ416-J0340-ZA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts