Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What setting should the Prius be on to go through a car wash? Should I press "power" and keep it in nuetral? Not do anything?? I know this quetion has been asked before but I can't seem to find an answer in the archives. Thanks! :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,237 Posts
Neutral for Car Wash.

Hybrid sytem "ON" Bring Joy stick from "B" position to Neutral hold it a few seconds and it should neutralise. After finish Car Wash From that point on just flick it down to "D" then exit car wash. EASY !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
And don't fall off the back door ledge when reaching for the antenna, or you'll sprain your ankle, bruise the bone, have to wear an uncomfortable brace, and end up in physical therapy for weeks. :(

Then again, your experience may vary...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
This "unscewing antenna"... Does it apply when you go to semi-automatic washes? I mean the kind it goes through cycles but there are people foaming and washing instead of automatic brushes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Today, the car wash was the driveway. 45 F was just warm enough in the sun to suds the Prius and the Camry. "Green" and Red and both clean. They make a cute couple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Ah, "Touch of Class"

This was an $895 option offered by me when I bought the 2005. They put a special coating on both the inside and outside of the car that makes it completely stain resistant and guarantees that I'll not have to do anything more than hose off the outside for five years and it will still say bright and shiny. Which means if I spill something in the car and it somehow stains, the dealer guarantees to get it out (except for the floor mats, for obvious reasons).

This is a good thing...I don't trust most car-wash guys to know how to drive the car without the key! If they couldn't figure out my 2002 Prius, well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
micemommy said:
This "unscewing antenna"... Does it apply when you go to semi-automatic washes? I mean the kind it goes through cycles but there are people foaming and washing instead of automatic brushes?
If you aren't getting the auto brushes you should be fine with the "touchless" wash. The people should be able to wash it without breaking anything. The antenna is not terribly fragile. I never used to take mine off my Beetle no matter what type of wash and never had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
They shouldn't, but many of the car washes tell their employees not to touch the power button, but have you leave the car on. SOC might go down to 2 bars, but engine will hardly run and won't hurt the car.

Then again, they are supposed to put the car in N, so for that short time, the ICE can't charge the battery. Hmm. Maybe that's why they couldn't get the car out of the washer. I bet the car put itself in park and powered off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
fridapaz said:
What setting should the Prius be on to go through a car wash? Should I press "power" and keep it in nuetral? Not do anything?? I know this quetion has been asked before but I can't seem to find an answer in the archives. Thanks! :?:
To go through a car wash simply put the transmission in neutral, engine on, no brakes.

A note about car washes and the Prius. The radio antenna can remain attached. So long as the blow dryer does not physically touch the car there should be no problems. However, if the blow dryer lightly skims over the car surface (1/2 and inch or so from the surface) then you risk having the rear wiper ripped from the car (this happened to mine). I switched to a car wash that accepts responsibility for any damage caused to factory installed, standard equipment. The blow dryers are in fixed positions at least a foot from the surface of the car, and I have not had any problems at all. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Coupla washes

We don't wash cars in New England much in winter...not much point.

..but the couple I have done:

-car is booted on;
-N when the guy says neutral;
-try to keep FM signal on NPR (it's a Prius!);
-emerge in D when light goes green;

No problem with antenna so far. I think side mirror on passenger
side askew one time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Re: Coupla washes

There are usually no guys washing your cars here in Scandinavia. You drive into the carwash and ... it's an automatic wash :) Just wondering if engine should be off then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Behmon said:
fridapaz said:
What setting should the Prius be on to go through a car wash? Should I press "power" and keep it in nuetral? Not do anything?? I know this quetion has been asked before but I can't seem to find an answer in the archives. Thanks! :?:
To go through a car wash simply put the transmission in neutral, engine on, no brakes.
As I was posting, you run a small risk of draining the HV battery. There is no risk if car is in Ig-On instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Okay...this may be the thread I have been looking for...

Now, in PLAIN ENGLISH, no abbreviations, what do you do. I ask for this in plain English, so I can take that language over to BABEL FISH, and translate it into the language my car wash guys speak. No, I am not kidding.

I will print it out, and take it to them. It will help them run the car through the wash (for reasons that don't make sense to me, here in SOUTH FLORIDA, you can't ride through the wash...)

I like this car wash. They treat me well. They even pop my hood to dry the engine after wards...

But sometimes, the regular guy is not there, and it would be great to just show the other guys how to run the car, step by step...

Thanks Dan. You DA Man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
:) Carwash & Antenna. Suggestion: change the OEM antenna to a "short" antenna thereby negating the necessity of removing the antenna for a carwash. Your can find 3" to 4" antennae on eBay and around the internet... cost about $18.00± delivered. I found my 2" stub antenna on eBay about 6 months ago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
888 Posts
Re: Coupla washes

dontcheff said:
There are usually no guys washing your cars here in Scandinavia. You drive into the carwash and ... it's an automatic wash :) Just wondering if engine should be off then.
If you power down the car, it goes into Park. So drive in, put in neutral, ride through, when the wash says to exit, put in drive and leave.

It is really that easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Re: Coupla washes

jeromep said:
dontcheff said:
There are usually no guys washing your cars here in Scandinavia. You drive into the carwash and ... it's an automatic wash :) Just wondering if engine should be off then.
If you power down the car, it goes into Park. So drive in, put in neutral, ride through, when the wash says to exit, put in drive and leave.

It is really that easy.
I wish I could drive the car through....That would make this easier for me.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top