Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, I gave my Prius its first bath before leaving on vacation. I did use lots of water on rinsing it off, with water undoubtedly draining down under the front wipers (wherever it drains from there?) and also rinsed inside the upper & lower front grilles to get rid of bugs. I assumed there was nothing but radiator inside of the front air grilles. I did not open the hood and spray the engine. Anyway, went to leave for vacation about 1/2 hour later, and when the ICE started, it missed on one cylinder (rhythmic) for about 5-10 seconds before it smoothed out. It only has ~600 miles on it and never had done that before. I'm assuming the miss was related to the car wash, as I have now put on an additional 300 miles (I'm at a hotel in Fort Myers now), and hasn't done it since. When I get back to St. Pete, I'll check again under the hood to watch where the water channels, and also what exactly is on the inside of the grilles. Has anyone else experienced this? It sounds like I inadvertently got a plug wire wet, but not sure how from just a normal wash.

On a related note, after meeting another enthusiastic Prius owner at dinner last night, I was getting gas today and a full size Mercedes Benz pulled alongside at the pump across from me. I was writing down my stats when he appeared next to me asking, "Is this one of those Hybrid cars?". I spent the next ten minutes like a Toyota salesman explaining the PSD, MG1/MG2/ICE, CVT, Atkinson/Miller cycle, and the package six options. He was absolutely amazed while pointing at his 400+ horsepower Mercedes in disgust at his $60 fill ups and high cost of ownership. In the end, he was completely sold on the Prius and planned to head to the Toyota dealership. :)

One thing I had never envisioned in just three weeks of Prius ownership is the Prius actually getting more attention than my Corvette! Psychologically, I guess the attention feels good in the positive reinforcement of making an intelligent choice.

What a great car.

·
Registered
393 Posts
CWeider said:
Hi gang, I gave my Prius its first bath before leaving on vacation. I did use lots of water on rinsing it off, with water undoubtedly draining down under the front wipers (wherever it drains from there?) and also rinsed inside the upper & lower front grilles to get rid of bugs. I assumed there was nothing but radiator inside of the front air grilles. I did not open the hood and spray the engine. Anyway, went to leave for vacation about 1/2 hour later, and when the ICE started, it missed on one cylinder (rhythmic) for about 5-10 seconds before it smoothed out. It only has ~600 miles on it and never had done that before. I'm assuming the miss was related to the car wash, as I have now put on an additional 300 miles (I'm at a hotel in Fort Myers now), and hasn't done it since. When I get back to St. Pete, I'll check again under the hood to watch where the water channels, and also what exactly is on the inside of the grilles. Has anyone else experienced this? It sounds like I inadvertently got a plug wire wet, but not sure how from just a normal wash.

On a related note, after meeting another enthusiastic Prius owner at dinner last night, I was getting gas today and a full size Mercedes Benz pulled alongside at the pump across from me. I was writing down my stats when he appeared next to me asking, "Is this one of those Hybrid cars?". I spent the next ten minutes like a Toyota salesman explaining the PSD, MG1/MG2/ICE, CVT, Atkinson/Miller cycle, and the package six options. He was absolutely amazed while pointing at his 400+ horsepower Mercedes in disgust at his $60 fill ups and high cost of ownership. In the end, he was completely sold on the Prius and planned to head to the Toyota dealership. :)

One thing I had never envisioned in just three weeks of Prius ownership is the Prius actually getting more attention than my Corvette! Psychologically, I guess the attention feels good in the positive reinforcement of making an intelligent choice.

What a great car.
I have my guys at the car wash pop open the hood after it gets washed, and then they dry it out. Just to be safe, but your tale reinforces that for me.
And, I am used to getting questioned/stopped by folks about cars. I had a tricked out new Beetle, and then a tricked out SCION xB. But already, in just three days, I am getting more questions about this car then any other I have had. And when people hear about the gas mileage...they want one right then and there.

Case in point. I was done with my wash today, and had talked to a guy in a HONDA SUV. He told me that he was going to KING TOYOTA (where I got mine), and trade his HONDA in Right Today.

So, as it happened, I was getting a sunshade from them this afternoon, and guess who was there, signing the papers? Yup. That guy.

Blew me away, it did. And I get some sort of bonus payment or something for him being refered by me.

Huh! That never has happened to me before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great looking car, TJ. I really like the contrast of the Super White w/ your tinted windows. Looking at your other post on the Scion site, looks like you had quite a few cars!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
393 Posts
CWeider said:
Great looking car, TJ. I really like the contrast of the Super White w/ your tinted windows. Looking at your other post on the Scion site, looks like you had quite a few cars!

Best of luck!
Thanks! Yeah, one or two...

To be fair, a lot of those cars, I would buy, then fix up, then sell. And, despite how it may look, I plan on holding onto the PRIUS a long time.

I am very happy with the car. Best of luck to you as well!
8)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There are no high tension wires to the plugs. Each plug has its own coil on top of it, fired by trigger signals from the ECM. There was a TSB for a seal mod under the hood.

LSC-40E applies to 2004 Prius VIN ranges 40001001 - 40014320

·
Registered
8 Posts
One day when I opened the hood I found droppings from rats and snail shells which I asume they brough in to eat. To clean up the mess I washed the ICE with a hose, using pressure to clean the stuff off.

Unfortunately a few weeks later the engine started missing and the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and he discovered that the water had gotten into the coils about the spark plugs. They had to remove them an clean off corrrosion - to the tune of $188.

Moral of the story, try to keep water out of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
One day when I opened the hood I found droppings from rats and snail shells which I asume they brough in to eat. To clean up the mess I washed the ICE with a hose, using pressure to clean the stuff off.
Wow, rats that eat escargo! You got some high class rats in your neighborhood. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts