Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the half-breed in to our local car-wash. This is the third time I've been to that particular wash, so I was ready to believe the attendant when he said I didn't have to tell him what to do again.

Well, I got my car back and the first thing I noticed when I got in was the big red triangle. Then I saw the MFD had a battery warning light, and the SOC was on 1 red bar.

I pulled out of the car wash, expecting the battery to charge on the way home, and got about 50 feet before I realized that regen wasn't happening. I pulled into the shell station next door and powered down/up the vehicle.

The red triangle went away, and as I drove home, at first it looked like regen was working again. But watching the mfd (waiting for that 2nd red bar to show up) I noticed that regen was not auto-engaging when I let off the gas. It didn't come on until i actually hit the brakes, then worked normally if I let up.

Instead of heading home, I turned towards Toyota of Melbourne, but on the way there I wondered about 'B' mode... I shifted the car into B, then back to D... after that ... everything works like it should. Let off the gas and 1 sec later I see the green arrows. So i turned around and came home.

So, my SOC is back up to normal, but I'm wondering if I should have it looked at right away, or merely mention it at my 40k... about a week away?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I use the car wash almost every day. Have to; I live on the beach. (salt you know)...anyway. The guys at the wash assure me they have done a lot of HYBRIDS, and they have a guy go through the wash with the car (one thing I don't get, at least around here, is why I can't go through the wash...)

Anyway, I noticed the warning today, but they tell me it's alright to let it go through. And then I talked to my dealer, and he also told me it was fine to do. So if this is true, what is the deal then?

I'm sorry, but I am a new person 'round here, and have not found everything out yet.

Is a car wash really bad for the battery?

·
Registered
669 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the car wash per se, but you don't want the car left in neutral for a long time with the accessories powered up because the car won't recharge the battery in neutral.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Astrowoman said:
There is nothing wrong with the car wash per se, but you don't want the car left in neutral for a long time with the accessories powered up because the car won't recharge the battery in neutral.
Ah. I did not know that. Next time, I will turn off the display, the A/C and things like that.

Now, here is another question about the car wash...if I turn off the display, will it come back on when I start the car again? Or do I have to do that manually.

I never thought that owning a car would require so much thought. In a way, it's very retro, having to think about the car. Folks that have driven a Ford Model T would know what I am talking about...

·
Registered
150 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
Next time, I will turn off the display, the A/C and things like that.
I'd probably not worry so much about turning off the display as much as the A/C, fan, or other things with moving parts like the CD/tape player.

Louie

·
Registered
393 Posts
LouieNet said:
TJandGENESIS said:
Next time, I will turn off the display, the A/C and things like that.
I'd probably not worry so much about turning off the display as much as the A/C, fan, or other things with moving parts like the CD/tape player.

Louie
Okay, thanks. I always turn off the audio anyway...so I will turn off the A/C as well.

So, here is a side question. How does the car keep going, even though I have the key in my pocket? I would have thought that the smart sytem would shut it down, if I was out of the car...

·
Registered
150 Posts
TJandGENESIS said:
How does the car keep going, even though I have the key in my pocket? I would have thought that the smart sytem would shut it down, if I was out of the car...
Your car will just beep 3 times in case you didn't realize that you left your car on as you're walking away. So if you get car-jacked, the thief just wouldn't be able to restart the car.

But it's not necessarily a bad thing that the car continues if it stops detecting your key fob. Imagine what would happen if you're moving down the highway and the battery in your fob dies. :)

Louie

[deleted incorrect info -L]

·
Registered
30 Posts
i take my prius to the car wash every sunday. before i give it over to them, i make sure the radio is off and the a/c is off so that nothing drains the battery, exept the normal drain as they let it go thru in netural. never have any problems with battery charging once i put it in drive and out the door i go turn radio and a/c back on and everything is fine by the time i get home

·
Registered
393 Posts
quietman said:
i take my prius to the car wash every sunday. before i give it over to them, i make sure the radio is off and the a/c is off so that nothing drains the battery, exept the normal drain as they let it go thru in netural. never have any problems with battery charging once i put it in drive and out the door i go turn radio and a/c back on and everything is fine by the time i get home
Boy, all this talk about the battery draining makes me think it does not have much of a life.

It can't die that quick...can it?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The high voltage battery can drain very quickly (10 minutes or so) if the day is extremely hot and the A/C is on max (even max in auto). If the A/C is off, there never seems to be any drop going through the car wash.

·
Registered
393 Posts
redwein said:
The high voltage battery can drain very quickly (10 minutes or so) if the day is extremely hot and the A/C is on max (even max in auto). If the A/C is off, there never seems to be any drop going through the car wash.
Wow, that is great to know. Thanks.

Why does it drain so fast?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Unlike normal cars, the A/C compressor on the Prius is run electrically, not off of the engine. This takes a lot of electricity. Just see how your electric bill goes up in the summer if you run your home A/C. The good news is that, unlike some of the other hybrids that run the A/C off of the engine, you still get A/C when the car and engine are stopped. Some of the others either keep the engine running whenever the A/C is on (hurts mileage) or turn off the A/C off when you come to a stop (uncomfortable). I think the way the Prius works is the best. You just have to remember to turn it off if the car is ever going to be in neutral on a hot day (which probably only happens a the car wash).

·
Registered
393 Posts
redwein said:
Unlike normal cars, the A/C compressor on the Prius is run electrically, not off of the engine. This takes a lot of electricity. Just see how your electric bill goes up in the summer if you run your home A/C. The good news is that, unlike some of the other hybrids that run the A/C off of the engine, you still get A/C when the car and engine are stopped. Some of the others either keep the engine running whenever the A/C is on (hurts mileage) or turn off the A/C off when you come to a stop (uncomfortable). I think the way the Prius works is the best. You just have to remember to turn it off if the car is ever going to be in neutral on a hot day (which probably only happens a the car wash).
Thanks...Yeah, my brothers Ford Escape Hybrid leaves the gas motor on when the A/C is running...

I just hope I don't get stuck in a long hard back up on the highways. I think that might be a Bad Thing™ for the battery in the Prius.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I just hope I don't get stuck in a long hard back up on the highways. I think that might be a Bad Thing™ for the battery in the Prius.
You don't have to worry about this. There is only a problem if the car is in neutral since the engine will never be able to charge the battery. If you are on the freeway, you are in drive and the engine will come on (only when it needs to) to charge the battery. This way you get to remain comfortable and only hurt your mileage the smallest amount possible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No problem in traffic tieups, just keep it in drive, the ICE will start and stop as necessary to keep the battery charged. If you bring up the energy screen, you can see this, the battery will drop to 2 bars, ICE starts, brings it back to 3 bars, ICE stops, repeat as necessary.

By the way, the bars on the battery display show the charge level between 40% and 80% (8 bars being 80%). The moral is "Don't worry, be happy" :D

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
redwein said:

Just to note, only the 2004-? Prius has the electrically-driven AC. (After a while of sitting in non-moving traffic with the AC on, the engine may need to come on to recharge the battery...)

Classic Prius has the AC driven by a belt off of the gasoline engine. (Sitting in non-moving traffic, as long as you don't use the MAX AC button, the AC compressor will cycle on and off as needed to dehumidify and recool the air. But, when it cycles on and off, so does your gasoline engine... You don't loose cooling...)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
melgish said:
I took the half-breed in to our local car-wash. This is the third time I've been to that particular wash, so I was ready to believe the attendant when he said I didn't have to tell him what to do again.

Well, I got my car back and the first thing I noticed when I got in was the big red triangle. Then I saw the MFD had a battery warning light, and the SOC was on 1 red bar.

I pulled out of the car wash, expecting the battery to charge on the way home, and got about 50 feet before I realized that regen wasn't happening. I pulled into the shell station next door and powered down/up the vehicle.

The red triangle went away, and as I drove home, at first it looked like regen was working again. But watching the mfd (waiting for that 2nd red bar to show up) I noticed that regen was not auto-engaging when I let off the gas. It didn't come on until i actually hit the brakes, then worked normally if I let up.

Instead of heading home, I turned towards Toyota of Melbourne, but on the way there I wondered about 'B' mode... I shifted the car into B, then back to D... after that ... everything works like it should. Let off the gas and 1 sec later I see the green arrows. So i turned around and came home.

So, my SOC is back up to normal, but I'm wondering if I should have it looked at right away, or merely mention it at my 40k... about a week away?

Any thoughts?
Going back to the original topic,

I'd have the dealer pull the codes. They may not be there by the time of your next oil change.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm... I've already driven the car to work this am (75 miles) ... Everything seems to be operating normally again. Could be the codes are already gone?

One point.. I was a bit unclear about what was happening as I pulled out of the car wash. I said that regen wasn't working.. well nothing was going to the battery at all... Not even engine charging, which I would have expected to pick up as soon as I got the car out of neutral. That fixed itself as soon as I rebooted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why has nobody posted how to get the Prius in neutral, with the ICE off.

Power the car completely down.

Foot OFF the brake and press the power button twice. (Brings all electronics on with HSD off.

Move the transmssion shift joystick to neutral and hold for several seconds.

The car is now in neutral, not in park with the HSD off.

To get back into drive. Power down the car. (press power button one more time). Then start again normally with foot on brake.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts