Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone embarassed by the sound of the car's horn? I am. Should I not be? Not only am I hesistant to beep when I outside the home of a friend picking them up for some reason, but I also don't like to beep when I am in traffic. What are my options? Has anyone put in something else from another car?

·
Registered
47 Posts

Maybe you should adopt my rule...don't beep unless it's urgent.

If you arrive at someone's home and s/he doesn't come right out...get out of your car and go ring the doorbell.

In traffic, unless there's an impending collision (in which case why would you care what your horn sounds like?), there's really no need to honk.

In case you couldn't guess, I detest unnecessary noise and have a particular dislike for car horns of any kind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree, the Prius has a pretty wimpy horn. I don't honk unnecessarily but in traffic there are times when you need to and I would prefer a better horn. I remember the dual horns in old Alfa Romeo sports cars, they had a nice tone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
most auto parts stores sell "beefier" sounding horns at affordable prices. If you don't have a a garage in which to work or are not inclined to install it yourself, there are plenty pep boys out there who will oblige.

I never had to use my horn until cell phones became more fashionable than paying attention to where you were going on the road. Now, I have use it every day or else get creamed by somebody who drifts into my lane. :evil:

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Ditto here, Mr Prius. I can't say I have ever heard the horn in my Prius or either of the past two cars I have owned in the previous sixteen years. I am sure they all got "honked" at least once a year by the inspector when they went in for their annual inspection stickers but "maybe not."
..................(if I get out this afternoon, I think I will give that "sucker" a try!)

·
Registered
420 Posts
The the horn in our old Dodge Colt - the car we drove to the junkyard after getting the Prius - truly sounded like a bicycle horn. And the horn on our current #2 car - a 1981 Tercel - is only good for one honk a day. (I am not making this up. For some reason, it will only honk once every eight hours or so.) So I'm very grateful, period, to have a functioning, audible horn.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
With A/C, gigawatt steroes and cell phones, a horn is needed sometimes. The Prius is no better than my '89 Corolla, whose horn I supplemented with a $10 PepBoys special: a low-tone horn installed in parallel with the high-tone factory horn. The combo is far "larger" sounding due to the off-key pitch combination. Sounded like my Buick! Destined for the Prius soon...

BTW, I never honk while waiting for someone. It's extremely rude and those who do it deserve a brick tossed their way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure they weren't personally directed at me, but I felt like i needed a rebuttal to all of the comments about honking while waiting for someone. Know that i am one of the most polite people you'll ever meet, not to toot my own horn or anything (pun intended). I am driving a Prius after all, the automotive poster child for politeness. Number one, I rarely, rarely honk to pick someone up (but i have done it, otherwise i wouldn't have mentioned it to begin with). When I do do it, i am not "that guy" who sounds like he fell asleep on the steering wheel or is using his horn to express his absolute rage that it's been more than 2 seconds and the person has not come out of the house spewing apologies for the delay.

Please excuse me while I attempt to ingratiate myself to all those who have been bothered by those who honk unnecessarily.

It's not like i own a leaf blower or anything, those people rank just below Hitler and the Devil on my list of people I don'tlike.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Some kids were walking down the street of a development where I was dropping my friend off. The car was running electric (on its own decision). They seemed oblivious to my approaching presence and blocked my path completely. Since my lights were on, I blinked my brights. That got their attention and they moved out of the way so I could pass.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"I never had to use my horn until cell phones became more fashionable than paying attention to where you were going on the road. Now, I have use it every day or else get creamed by somebody who drifts into my lane."

When you are about to get hit by some brain dead bozo talking on a cell phone and switching lanes without looking in heavy traffic, your horn can be the only protection you have and it had better be be loud enough to get their attention.

·
Registered
92 Posts
dogtag said:
I've got one of these on my hot rod. I'ts loud enough to peal the paint off the car in front of you.
I've got to admit that 2500 bucks for a horn is a little excessive but it sure gets the point across. Oh, I still have the regular horn for polite traffic.

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/category.php?id=8
:eek: If I wasn't afraid the extra weight would hurt my mileage I would definitely buy one of those. Be sure to see the video at the end.

·
Registered
181 Posts
dogtag said:
I've got one of these on my hot rod. I'ts loud enough to peal the paint off the car in front of you.
I've got to admit that 2500 bucks for a horn is a little excessive but it sure gets the point across. Oh, I still have the regular horn for polite traffic.

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/category.php?id=8
Imagine sneaking up on someone in EV mode and firing these puppies off!!! I would pay money to see that! :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.