Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you all been following this? Most (70%) of the people in Massachusetts are for it but it appears that our esteemed Senator Ted Kennedy got an amendment into a coast guard bill in order to stop the wind farm. I've read the arguments on both sides, and the opposition appears to me to boil down to NIMBY by some of the the rich and powerful with mansions on cape cod.

Maybe they are afraid their property values will go down, but the irony is that the sea level is rising...

Anyway, here is a link: http://www.capewind.org/

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you are afflicted with similar opponents talking out of empty heads. Here's a May 3 quote i saw in the Star-Ledger:

"I think it would detract from the property values of the oceanfront people," said William Rickars, a councilman in Ship Bottom. "Beyond that, it'll disrupt the fishing, it'll disrupt the pleasure craft, it will destroy the tourist business immensely."
I am amused by the "destroy immensely" part but the reaction by better spoken opponents is often that they are in favor of putting in wind farms... in someone else's back yard.

Study indicating wind farms not reducing property values: http://www.awea.org/news/news030520prp.html

One excerpt:
for the great majority of projects the property values actually rose more quickly in the view shed than they did in the comparable community. Moreover, values increased faster in the view shed after the projects came on-line than they did before.
Survey indicating wind farms don't hurt (and may actually help) tourism: http://www.bwea.com/media/news/tourism.html

I don't think we should line the coast with them, but most people like seeing light houses along the coast. Aesthetically similar, aren't they?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I was talking to my dad about the wind powered generator that can sit on the roof of a house. He told me he researched getting one several years back, but state or local laws prohibit it. From what he could tell, it was because of power company lobbying.

"yes, we should reduce our dependence on oil, but you're not allowed to stop paying us for it."

·
Registered
95 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I was talking to my dad about the wind powered generator that can sit on the roof of a house. He told me he researched getting one several years back, but state or local laws prohibit it. From what he could tell, it was because of power company lobbying.

"yes, we should reduce our dependence on oil, but you're not allowed to stop paying us for it."
When I was in high school, one of my friends' families lived near a river (that they owned the property of a portion...). The guy's dad wanted to set up a hydro-electric station to power his home and come off of the grid. The county had an ordinance that all homes with residents had to maintain electrical connection to the grid with an active account. Talk about powerful lobby...And wrong-minded local governments!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Oh, I am sure my dad would have stayed on the grid. After all, the generator can't supply power all the time! And the power company buys power from other companies as well, so what would be the problem of buying back power from its end users on occasion?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Oh, I am sure my dad would have stayed on the grid. After all, the generator can't supply power all the time! And the power company buys power from other companies as well, so what would be the problem of buying back power from its end users on occasion?
I seem to remember old 1970ish tv commercials about windmills mentioning that there's a federal law in place that the util companies *must* pay if you manage to give back more than you take.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
melgish said:
DanMan32 said:
I seem to remember old 1970ish tv commercials about windmills mentioning that there's a federal law in place that the util companies *must* pay if you manage to give back more than you take.
Yes, but utils can lobby the state/local legislatures to prevent you from having the windmill in the first place. If you aren't allowed to have it, the utils aren't forced to buy from you.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
melgish said:
Based on what I read here: http://www.awea.org/pubs/factsheets/netmetfin_fs.PDF
the supposed nationa law may not actually exist. It may be to their benefit to do so though, as the administrative cost to do otherwise makes it impractical for them.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Now that Cape Wind still has it's foot in the door in Nantucket sound, another conglomerate with lots of bucks is proposing three more wind farms that will be located on state owned water in Buzzards bay. They too want to get into some of this government moneys. Along with this is another separate company that wishes to use the tidal flow in Buzzards bay to operate a half dozen turbines sunk in forty feet of water. The potential is limited by politics only.
The potential for what can be done with a complete change in administrations is "mind boggling."

·
Registered
111 Posts
Buzzards Bay (update)

I am a strong proponent of wind generated power as alternative energy but lately I am wondering if this is wise, and here is my reason.
This spring Patriot Renewables, a subsidiary of Jay Cashman, Inc. installed a wind generator at the Mass Maritime Academy. These are the same concerns who want to construct a wind tower farm down below Cleveland Ledge Light on either side of the bay.
As of today, they have been unable to make the darned thing work, so it sits on the MMA property like a huge lawn ornament paid for with taxpayer money.
I am now thinking that if they cannot fix a new unit on dry land, how the heck do they think they can manage a whole wind farm on the waters of Buzzards Bay?
AS OF 6/12/06 THIS GENERATOR IS FACING THE WIND AND TURNING.
6/20/07 The wind turbine has a nice website one can access to get info on its output. Go to http://www.maritime.edu/l2.cfm?page=160 to check it out...

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Buzzard's bay wind farm proposal was just announced. Cape Wind has been in the works for 4 or 5 years. From what I understand, Buzzard's bay has a lot more shipping traffic. Also, wind maps show that Cape Wind has more wind. Also, the turbines would be further from shore at Cape Wind, which by all rights should mean less to gripe about aesthetically. From all those perspectives, Cape Wind seems better. In fact, it seems like the ideal location anywhere along the Massachusetts coast. There's no reason we have to just pick one or the other though. I say let the Buzzards Bay proposal start the process (gauntlet?), and build Cape Wind already.

I'd be very surprised if they don't get the turbine at MMA working. Also, it should actually save the taxpayers a bunch of money. All I was able to dig up was that it was installed at the end of April and was supposed to be working in May after the utility approved the interconnection. It would not be surprising if there was some technical, beaurocratic, or political delay. Maybe the FAA delayed it because of the Warner amendment.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
If they don't think they work, have them take a look at the windfarms outside of Palm Springs, and outside of Hayward Cal. They've been operating for years I believe.
Guess politicians will keep all these projects under study committees until the oil is gone.
The shipping channels in Buzzards bay are very narrow due to depth and miles from the proposed new farms. Wind is just as strong continuously. That's one of the reasons this is one of the best sailing areas in the States.
Only time the wind ever drops off is when they attempt to have the twelve meter yacht races.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I think that all along the developers of "Cape Wind,"have been waiting for Kennedy to "pass on" and Kerry to be voted out of office for any real chance to get this project started. It looks like it won't be long now.
The only thing that disappoints me is Obama's complete lack of interest in atomic power which the Europeans still safely use for 90% of their power demands. Their wind farms are just adding more power to their nuclear grid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts