Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh, I've been trying for weeks to get a test drive at my local (and only) Toyota dealer. The problem is, they're selling Prius's as fast as they get them on the lot, leaving no room for a test drive.

I've heard of some dealers being required to keep one Prius on the lot for test drives, but my dealer seems to not care or not know about this. I gave them my name and number to call me when they had one on the lot, but I've gotten to call backs. I guess I'll just keep calling them, asking if they have one available.

There are so many Prius's on the streets here (Arcata, CA)! I've been tempted to just walk up to someone and ask them if they'll let me try out their Prius.....I don't think that would have very good results though:

[twitch twitch] "Heh heh.....can I try your car out? [twitch] I just love [twitch] the fuel economy....."[twitch twitch]

The next nearest dealer is more than 200 miles away. I just don't have the time to go and drive there and back just for a test drive. Oh, what to do.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I will be happy to take you for a spin. Any time. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're a littel far away, distance might be an issue there.

Minnesota----->California

Lots of gas, even in my 2002 Civic.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just tell them you want to buy one, test drive it when it comes in, and if you don't like it then tell them you've changed your mind. I don't see how the dealer could possibly be upset if you tell them you don't want it;if they are selling them as fast as they are coming, I'm sure another customer would be absolutely delighted to have an opportunity to get one early.

Thats of course, if you decide not to buy it after its test drive...;)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I'm not sure that dealers have to keep one on the lot. Find another dealer that has some on the lot. Not all dealers have the same demand. If you are working with a dealer in an urban metro area the idea of finding a Prius on the lot is a long shot. However, if you find a suburban or rural Toyota dealer there is a good chance you can find one on the lot to test drive.

However others have had much better luck finding a TRAC (Toyota Rent A Car dealer that keeps a fleet of Toyotas for rental only) and then renting the car for a weekend. You will get the best test drive of your life because you will be able to put the car through a normal day or driving and you won't have the dealer sitting next to you talking about the radio (and getting the facts about that wrong also).

In short, find a rural dealer with units on the lot or find a TRAC dealer and rent the car for the weekend.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Hi Sethd85

Suggestion: It's always a good idea to include your location in your "Signature" (Click "Profile" - scroll down to "Signature" and create it.) Then put a checkmark at the bottom of your message-writing window in the "Attach Signature") box. You can also include your location in the same Profile area a few lines above the Signature area.

This way responders will know where you are. Perhaps there's a Prius owner in your area who would let you take a ride and drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some tips

Like others say on this board, don't worry about the test drive right now.

1) Get on the wait list, if there is one
2) See if a rental company nearby offers the Prius for rental
3) Talk to the service dept. and see if they have a spare Prius to rent
4) If all else fails, test drive when the car arrives (you can always back out before you sign on the dotted line).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ChasSuitt said:

Suggestion: It's always a good idea to include your location in your "Signature" (Click "Profile" - scroll down to "Signature" and create it.) Then put a checkmark at the bottom of your message-writing window in the "Attach Signature") box. You can also include your location in the same Profile area a few lines above the Signature area.

This way responders will know where you are. Perhaps there's a Prius owner in your area who would let you take a ride and drive.
Actually, if you read my original post, you'd see that I did in fact post my location. It's Arcata, CA. I'll go ahead and put it under my forum name, just to make you happy. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeromep said:
I'm not sure that dealers have to keep one on the lot. Find another dealer that has some on the lot. Not all dealers have the same demand. If you are working with a dealer in an urban metro area the idea of finding a Prius on the lot is a long shot. However, if you find a suburban or rural Toyota dealer there is a good chance you can find one on the lot to test drive.

However others have had much better luck finding a TRAC (Toyota Rent A Car dealer that keeps a fleet of Toyotas for rental only) and then renting the car for a weekend. You will get the best test drive of your life because you will be able to put the car through a normal day or driving and you won't have the dealer sitting next to you talking about the radio (and getting the facts about that wrong also).

In short, find a rural dealer with units on the lot or find a TRAC dealer and rent the car for the weekend.
I wish that this were the case, but I do live in a "rural" community. The entire county has 125,000 residents in it, and the Toyota dealership is not even in one of the major city areas.

Also, there is no TRAC dealer anywhere near me.

If there is a Prius owner near me, speak up! If you're willing, I'd love to meet a fellow Prius lover and go for a drive.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Seth, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. The first time I actually saw a 2004 Prius was the morning I picked up the one I had ordered and the first time I drove one was when I took it from the dealer down the street to a gas station to fill the tank. I had looked at a "classic" previously and ruled it out as more of a toy than a car for my family needs but had spent over six months researching the 04.. There was an awfull lot out there and especially on "E" bay where one investment I made was a dealers kit for about fifty bucks with an encyclopedia of info and foldouts along with a "neat" ballpoint pen flashlight.
I agree with most of the "critiques" that I have seen published since my purchase and although some are a pain, the cars systems more than make up for them. The seats are critiqued in just about every article and by a goodly number of owners similar in the one posted in this mornings Boston Globe. (adequate, but strangely placed) You can get used to them. The lack of a telescoptic wheel makes driving comfort awkward. You can get used to it. The lack of rear visibility. You can get used to that and the hatchback more than makes up for it.
There has been more "nitpicking" stuff written but overall the "years ahead engineering" overcomes it all. As you learn more about the car the petty complaints dissappear. All in all, the "snyergy" drive system is something more than miraculous.
You will find things that you don't care for. (the screen for controlling the A/C system) which is more than made up for with the 110 volt air conditioner. The total lack of instruments (other than the speedo and fuel guage) This was my biggest shock driving my car home and I had seen nary a word about this in six months of research or I might have "passed". That was my largest complaint but as of this year that can be corrected if it is important to you with a simple "plug-in" scan guage.
The OEM tires a lot of purchasers dislike. I have found mine "perfect" and will relace them with an identical set at about 44,000 miles.
The Prius performance is as good as any other midsize sedan on the road and for "dessert" scores with high milage figures.
If you are planning on replaciong you present car in a few months, I say, "bite the bullet" give a salesman your VISA for a five hunfred dollar "hit" and get on someones list. Then hit "google" and start your research. You'll find it fun and intriguing. Ask any questions that you get here and you will get a dozen answers and you will find a dozen "different" opinions. There are a lot of guesses made about how things work in the Prius. The only thing I have found disturbing were those made by my dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can't get a test drive

ChasSuitt said:

What a waste of broadband! :evil:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: Can't get a test drive

GeneralTojo said:
What a waste of broadband! :evil:
Hey, that answers my question! The waistband gets broader...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sethd85 said:
Sigh, I've been trying for weeks to get a test drive at my local (and only) Toyota dealer.
Hi Seth!

In Austria 550 Prius II have been sold since sale started, about Prius I - maybe 100 or more. It is almost impossible to find a Prius at a Toyota dealer unless you order it.

I ordered my Prius without even having sit in one but I did never regret it. I collected lots of information before (actually almost all) and just "guessed".

However, I profited from the Prius in one way. Since dealers still have no Priuses to show to customers (and I work just 2 minutes from my dealer) we made an agreement. He can use my Prius to show to other people, sometimes I even allow a testdrive. In return I get free accessories, service, and we keep talking on other things.

Walter

·
Registered
13 Posts
We were lucky that our friends have a Prius and let us take an extended test drive one night before we bought ours. We fell in love within 500 feet.

I have heard of many forum members renting Prius' before buying them. Unfortunetly, you'll never find a Prius on a dealer lot to test drive. They are selling them too quick and can sell them to people without test driving them. I have heard that dealers are supposed to have a tester on the lot, as mandated by Toyota Motor. Perhaps you can contact Toyota and tell them of your situation, letting them know that you're local dealer does not have a tester available.

I do suggest test driving before buying. Never buy blindly! Without a test drive you'll never truly know if the vehicle is the best fit for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know where Arcata is, but at our local dealer in Victorville, CA, we lucked out and went to the dealership the morning after they had just received their monthly allottment of 6 Priuses (Priui?). Anyway, we test drove a Prius, and a Camry. We went home to think it iver, and the next morning decided to buy the Prius. When we went back to the dealer, out of the 6, only 2 were left, and they were both option 6 (loaded). We bit the bullet and bought ours last March. My wife loves it! If you are ever in the Victorville area, come on by for a drive!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Take a nice scenic drive to San Diego. You can drive mine all you like plus I'll take you to a dealer who has a demo and will sell you a car at MSRP. NO BS.... I don't know what the waiting time is now. ~JD~

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone who invited me to come and drive your Prius's! That's really nice. If I'm in your area, I'll send you a message.

:)

I feel the love!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts