Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Environmental Protection?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most Toyota dealers in Canada use a system called Access marketing. This means they set the price and there is no negotiating on the price. The price in Canadian dollars is $29,990. This also means there is no premium over the MSLP, as I have been reading in this group happens in the US. This system takes a lot of the stress out of purchasing a car because it leaves you free to focus on what is important to you, which isn't always money.

I ordered my Prius, a silver one with none of the extra option packages, in March and received it in late June, about two an a half month's wait. I was prepared to wait longer, so when it arrived, earlier than the salesman promised, I was pleasantly surprised.

In Canada the Prius comes with a display that shows mileage as Litres/100KM. For people like me who grew up in the MPG era, this is sort of annoying. I have to convert it to MPG to understand what it means. I have been getting 4.4 L/100 km on my latest tank over the past 150 miles. That works out to about 53 mpg in US gallons, or 63 in Canadian gallons.

US gallons have about 3.8 litres, Canadian gallons have 4.55 litres.

I love this car! Everything about it is so smart. A person might think that because the Prius' main focus is conservation that you would be limited in the way you can drive it. Maybe you would think you would be limited in acceleration or high speed or other wasteful driving styles. But the Prius lets you drive any way you want to. It's totally fun to drive. But it does have the mileage and energy screens, and when you look at them, you want to do the best you can on the mileage. So, Toyota persuades you to enjoy doing something that you would resent being forced to do. They are pretty smart.

On a trip through the mountains of British Columbia I got pretty good mileage 5.2l/100k (about 44/US gallon) even though I was driving it hard and fast. 70 - 80 mph most of the time. On an earlier part of the trip I tested the speed it would do, and it easily went 100 mph without discharging the battery, etc.

A few times when I was driving very aggesisively through the mountains, the battery went down to the last two bars, but it soon went back to the blue without any special treatment from me.

So, even though you can drive the Prius any way you want, and it will perform and handle extremely well, it is most pleasurable to drive it the way it was intended: as a quiet, conserving, light-footed machine. It is such a pleasure to glide along at 40 mph on the electric motor alone. It is great to power to just before the crest of a hill, let your momentum carry you over it, and coast down the other side, claiming back some of that energy you just spent.

In a world of people conditioned to be power-hungry, wasteful consumers, this car gives you hope that maybe there is some sanity in our collective future. Toyota deserves a lot of credit for doing this.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, but actually I was just offering some information about my experience with the Prius in Canada - I hadn't seen much in this group from Canada. This group seems to have a lot of information so I thought there would be an apetite for more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts