Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster here... I recently (2 days ago) recieved my new prius with b package woo woo. I noticed imediatley that there was no bluetooth or navigation options on the lcd! Confused i called toyota and then i learned the HORRIBLE truth. There is no navigation or bluetooth in the canadian version of the Prius!?! She didnt have much understanding about these cars though she mentioned that she thinks there is a navigation package i can add on ... but she also though i should have it already if it was availible in canada ... very confusing.

She had no explanation for me as to why canadians are kept out of the nav/bluetooth club but took my complaint stoically. She then told me that she thinks my prius is an "American" prius (??), and perhaps the feature is disabled and maybe a service guy could turn it on?

So my questions are:
1) Does anyone have any idea how to turn the possibly disabled nav/bluetooth on is a same price yet cirppled prius? If not is there a way to install said features aftermarket i want to integrate this stuff with my car not have seperate devices. "Service Guys" Are not so forthcoming as i would have imagined.

2) Has anyone here heard of anyone making mod's to the OS? how would one interface with it and is it customizable?

Love the Prius ... hate where i live with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't quite understand why you are confused, you ordered the car with the B option, but you didn't know that the B package does not have nav and bluetooth?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm fairly sure that your prius doesn't have a hidden navigation system or anything. The obvious check would be to look for the DVD drive for the navigation data disks (I think it's usually located under the seat). I have a thread going on the topic of Canada and the navigation system, you might want to read it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
up here the "b" package is the deluxe package it should include all features prius has to offer (costs the same as the fully loaded us version)... including Bluetooth and the navigation options. I just didnt figure toyota would purposly remove features from a car in virtually the same market. I asked the sales guy about gps coverage up here in regards to the prius and he said yeah sure theres alternate companies for the prius (i didnt know at the time how the prius nav worked)

When i boot up my prius i only get three options "trip info", "display settings" and ... "audio" i think. Features that are disabled for certain markets ... are a common enough idea in other technologies.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, the Toyota Canada website clearly shows the detail of the B option, no mention of bluetooth or nav. It pays to research.

May be you can buy a U.S. Prius and take it back to Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok vegas ...

Other than this VERY helpful advice, Sell my brand new car (lose money) which i waited forever for ... go to the states buy another one (if i can find one (can i even get on a waiting list ... i dont think so) and pay oodles of cash again to import the car. I would have bought the prius anyways regardless, it's just a little frustrating to not have the features.

NE else have any thoughts on how to hookup an integrated Nav system? Im Very certain the computer isnt different than the one in the American version, so perhaps I simply need the hardware under the hood and a software update?

Toyota canada thinks i HAVE the american version of the car... the person i spoke to looked me up via VIN number... the thing is mechanical it should be alterable im only wondering if anyone here has tried/succeded/heard of/has thoughts on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We expect our Prius 2005 to arrive in Oct. We ordered the B package which does not include a Nav system. Today we picked up a 2005 brochure and it shows quite clearly that the B package does not include Nav unless you specify the "Navigation Package" which is the same as the "B" but includes the Nav. We didn't want the built-in Nav and are getting the Garmin 2620 with the V6 software which has improved Canadian content. No mention of Bluetooth anywhere in the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gps in 2004 Prius

I have also been searching in vain for the gps system on my new Prius with the B package. The US 2004 model has the option, but we Canadians get cheated by Toyota Canada. I heard that the 05 will have it as an option. No mention of Bluetooth. Toyota Canada is of no help of course, so we're screwed. Once you buy the car, they can't be bothered with you - it's not an option they say and give no explanation why not. Not even as an ad-on. I think all Prius 04 owners should organize and loby and threaten Toyota not to buy their cars anymore.

My other major beefs:
1. no MP3 CD play or input on the stereo for ipod and such, 6 CD changer is an expensive dinosaur these days, who uses casettes anymore?
2. Toyota dealer service told me that if I rust proof the car elsewhere, they may spray some sensors, which will stop working and they refused to tell me what NOT to spray; the customer service of Toyota Canada was equally unhelpful. Their idea is the only way to rust proof the car is to pay them about $500, I don't think so. So I am in limbo right now with the rust proofing. I feel ripped off by Toyota Canada and the joy of having a very nice car is ruined.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Package "C" for the 2005 Prius includes DVD-based Navigation System and Bluetooth Wireless Capability...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Package "C" for the 2005 Prius includes DVD-based Navigation System and Bluetooth Wireless Capability...
My dealer told me, and Toyota Canada led me to believe, that the '05 C package DOES include the DVD-based Nav system, but DOES NOT include the Bluetooth connectivity option available in the States with the top packages.

Now that I've just received an '04, I really, really hope that's true, because lack of Bluetooth was kinda the game-breaker for me against Package C.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My dealer told me, and Toyota Canada led me to believe, that the '05 C package DOES include the DVD-based Nav system, but DOES NOT include the Bluetooth connectivity option available in the States with the top packages.

Now that I've just received an '04, I really, really hope that's true, because lack of Bluetooth was kinda the game-breaker for me against Package C.
okok.. the dealers say this cause they're basing their information on the stuff that's available on the website. You must go directly to the source i.e. Toyota Canada.. here's the quote from which I came to my conclusion

"A new C option package includes all the equipment listed above, and adds the new voice-activated DVD Navigation System with Bluetooth connectivity. For a Prius equipped with these options, the MSRP is $37,715"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
"A new C option package includes all the equipment listed above, and adds the new voice-activated DVD Navigation System with Bluetooth connectivity. For a Prius equipped with these options, the MSRP is $37,715"
Rats. When I sent an e-mail to Toyota Canada asking about Bluetooth, I got the standard form-letter talking about how market research indicates what features they bring to the market, but nevertheless, they are forwarding my comments to the product management team and they will be used in evaluating future products," yada yada.

Oh well... Bluetooth built in would have been very nice to have, but I don't think I'll lose too much sleep over not having it in my '04.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
ah yes, that seems to be their standard return letter.

well it is nice to have but not necessary at the moment. I'm picking up my Prius today!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts