Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just bought a BC package and has been having a lot of fun with the NAV system and screen functions. Problem is, his wife has sensitive ears and really does NOT like the series of high-pitched beeps that come out of the screen every time you try to change the function.

So my question is, is there a way to turn off those annoying beeps that come from the screen whenever you press a button, the way you can turn off the reverse beeping and seat belt alerts?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Not without disabling sound coming out of your radio.
The MFD sends a command to the amplifier (whether the separate JBL amp, or the amp built-in to the head unit), which then produces the beep throught the required speakers.
If you find a way to intercept the beep command on the AVC network, then you won't have beeps.

I have been able to verify this. Last week, my amplifier let out a brief loud, high pitched screech, then went silent. MFD was then silent too.
Fortunately the amp returned to normal when I cycled power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seeking Beep-Free Display Input for new 05

Today I began driving my new 05 (pkg 5) and I also have "sensitive ears" and I noticed right off the bat that any finger press on the MFD caused that annoying "BEEP". After calling Toyota several times to defeat/control this totally abnoxious audio assault, to absolutely no avail., I accidentally discovered when I enter any UP/DOWN volume command via the steering wheel that THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO BEEP TONE eminating from any speaker/piezo transducer or the ilk ... so Oh Great Ones, how can entering a command via the steering wheel bypass that obnoxious (unattenuatable (sp?)) beep tone yet any press of the MFD causes that nasty beeping to ensue. There's got to be a way to disable, lower, mute this nasty irritant. Toyota is calling the local dealer so they can call me to discuss this irritating, non-choice WAL-MART style incursion into my private space. Let's see, I can mute my cell/cordless/PalmPilot/calculator key press sound, WHY NOT MY FREAKIN' $25,000 21'st Century CARS'??? Just asking!

Any, all input (beeps & expletives excluded) on how to defeat THE SYSTEM greatly and 'soundly' appreciated.

Silent (but just not in my car in Oregon, I remain,

Ken

P.S. Where is the JBL separate amp (I have the 'upgraded sound' and want to add some custom low pass filters to attenuate the low freq's under 150hz in the front mid-bass speakers (like I did in my 02 Highlander) so I can tap off and run a separate Infnity (JBL) Basslink self powered sub box? Is it the silver box under the front passenger seat? Please Advise!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
unfortunately, no one has found a way to disable the screen beep on the 2004-? Prius. I think I saw some talk about cutting a wire going to the center speaker (the one behind the MFD), but...

as for the JBL amp, IIRC it's under the passenger seat (or the front seat that doesn't have the Navigation unit...)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Re: Seeking Beep-Free Display Input for new 05

kenkneeb said:
P.S. Where is the JBL separate amp (I have the 'upgraded sound' and want to add some custom low pass filters to attenuate the low freq's under 150hz in the front mid-bass speakers (like I did in my 02 Highlander) so I can tap off and run a separate Infnity (JBL) Basslink self powered sub box? Is it the silver box under the front passenger seat? Please Advise!
Under the passenger seat, you'll find the amp. I tapped into the rear speaker signals to attach a Kenwood powered subwoofer. I didn't add any filters, but I dodn't think it's necessary. The sound is simply amazing. Any Prius owner that loves music needs to add a sub.

If you want to go this route and have any questions (such as what color the rear speaker wires are), I'd be happy to help.

PS - I went with the Kenwood over the Infinity because the KW fits into the storage space under the rear deck.

DGStan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
OK, some technical specs AGAIN!

The actual beeps are generated by the power amp. In the JBL, the tone generator is in the separate amp under the passenger seat. In the non-JBL, the tone generator is in the head unit.
The tone is created when the MFD sends a tone request to the amp (external or built-in) via the AVC lan. The audio and NAV steering controls go to the JU. I suppose the reason the steering wheel function, at least the audio function, doesn't create a beep is because the command to do that function comes from the HU, not the MFD.

If you can find a way to filter the beep command, or alter the packet so the beep length is 0 without causing an AVC DTC or crippling other normal communications on the AVC, we'd love to see it. I am sure it is technically possible, but would require a lot of work. You are basically creating an IEBus layer 3 switch with stateful packet filtering.

Or, you can try and find the schematic for the amp/HU and find the circuit creating the beep. From what I read in a thread or two in PriusChat with regards to the JBL amp, all sound control comes from a highly integrated sound processing circuit, so reprogramming it may be required, if it is not locked down at the factory, thus requiring chip replacement. If you manage that route, you can also reprogram the active crossover functions as well.

The beeps do not come from just one speaker. For JBL, it comes through all tweeters, not just the center channel. For non-JBL it comes out of the front tweeters.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
The beeps do not come from just one speaker. For JBL, it comes through all tweeters, not just the center channel. For non-JBL it comes out of the front tweeters.
Well, to my untrained ears it certainly _sounds_ like it comes from that center speaker. Thanks for the correction! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts