Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did at least, say wow that is, when I finished doing the attached mod. The final result impresses the idea of being "electric" to say the least.

For those of you in California that might be considering it legality shouldn't be an issue. Check it out @: "http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25400.htm

Convinced me!

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
You know, that just looks awesome. Maybe it's the Hot Rodder in me, or as the kids say, Tuner, but I think it looks great.

Tell me, are those rims heavy? Do they affect your MPG? And did you light up the cabin as well?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... Driving it at night now gets my heart pumping a bit faster. A "side" benefit is lighting up the white Prius decals in front of each rear wheel.

Ah yes, speaking of wheels. These rims are 17" and weight about twice what the OEM's weigh. Rolling resistance? Don't mention it. It handles just beautifully now. Stopped the wandering immediately. MPG hit is about 5 mpg but I thought it was worth it until gas prices hit $3+. I'm actually contemplating going to a set of 18" sold at http://centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals.php. They are alloy of course and only weigh about 16" a piece - a lot closeer to OEM's. And with 205/40R18's on them they'll be 24.5" OD (including tires). Exactly the same diameter as OEM's.

These 17's are 205/40R17's = 23.5". Speedo registers 4.1% faster than actual. If the speedo says you're doing 55 mph it's more like 53. That of course means my mileage on the odo are adding up faster than they should.

I've attempting to get the low down on the "footwell lighting" FOR the Prius at sigma and japanparts.com but they appear to be green in their ads. JP is apparently on summer vacation and haven't answered my messages - yet. I may just have to settle for the blue heat resistant "gel" bulb covers on the dome lights - done that already.

·
Registered
68 Posts
looks cool. that stuff only looks good when it's done very precisely.

usually around here, people just slap on some silly leds on their 87 buick and it just looks cheap and goofy...

·
Registered
393 Posts
BMcGraw said:
Thanks... Driving it at night now gets my heart pumping a bit faster. A "side" benefit is lighting up the white Prius decals in front of each rear wheel.

Ah yes, speaking of wheels. These rims are 17" and weight about twice what the OEM's weigh. Rolling resistance? Don't mention it. It handles just beautifully now. Stopped the wandering immediately. MPG hit is about 5 mpg but I thought it was worth it until gas prices hit $3+. I'm actually contemplating going to a set of 18" sold at http://centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals.php. They are alloy of course and only weigh about 16" a piece - a lot closeer to OEM's. And with 205/40R18's on them they'll be 24.5" OD (including tires). Exactly the same diameter as OEM's.

These 17's are 204/40R17's = 23.5". Speedo registers 4.1% faster than actual. If the speedo says you're doing 55 mph it's more like 53. That of course means my mileage on the odo are adding up faster than they should.

I've attempting to get the low down on the "footwell lighting" FOR the Prius at sigma and japanparts.com but they appear to be green in their ads. JP is apparently on summer vacation and haven't answered my messages - yet. I may just have to settle for the blue heat resistant "gel" bulb covers on the dome lights - done that already.
Thanks for the reply!

I may, MAY I say, may get some rims. I do like what I have on the car right now. And if I do get rims, I think I will stay with the stock size.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Looks extremely cool; but not all states allow this. For example, if you head up to my neck of the woods (Oregon,) you'll have to leave them off. Blue lights of ANY kind are reserved solely for emergency vehicle use in Oregon.

But, if it were red on a 'Salsa' Prius, it would look hot, and be legal here. (Too bad, I'd want blue if I did it to my Seaside.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
BMcGraw posted "These 17's are 204/40R17's = 23.5". "

I think you meant 205/40-R17 - no one makes tires in 204. You should have gone with a 205/45-R17 tires because it's spot on the same size as the stock tire height. Although I will admit tires in this size tend to cost a bit more than the 40 profile.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joel said:
BMcGraw posted "These 17's are 204/40R17's = 23.5". "

I think you meant 205/40-R17 - no one makes tires in 204. You should have gone with a 205/45-R17 tires because it's spot on the same size as the stock tire height. Although I will admit tires in this size tend to cost a bit more than the 40 profile.
"You are correct Sir!" Thanks for noticing... It was definitely a typo. At least posts can be edited. Consider it edited.

When I purchased the tires and wheels the "dealer" told me that "they" were the same diameter as the OEM's - he lied! If I don't swap these rims out for lighter ones and wear out the '40's', I will be going to '45's'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts