Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you build a DVD player into the Prius onboard system?

Does anybody know if you can add a DVD player to your existing DVD GPS system? Would be cool to watch DVD movies on your LCD screen. Not sure if it's save to drive and watch a movie at the same time.

If not possible has any one added a DVD player to their car?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Re: Can you build a DVD player into the Prius onboard system

PriusownerCAL said:
Not sure if it's save to drive and watch a movie at the same time.
Errr, I bet you are sure it isn't!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think coastal tech has a mod for this however, be careful with this as some states it is illegal to show a movie on a DVD that can be in the viewing area of the driver while driving. They will ticket you if you are driving and the movie is on.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: Can you build a DVD player into the Prius onboard system

Astrowoman said:
PriusownerCAL said:
Not sure if it's save to drive and watch a movie at the same time.
Errr, I bet you are sure it isn't!!
Not only is it not safe, but in many states (including California,) it's illegal to have a 'video entertainment' screen within view of the driver. So playing a DVD on the built-in screen could get you a ticket.

That said, yes, Coastal Tech has a kit that will let you hook any video source up to the internal screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think that's worth the ticked and having to go to traffic school. Just so that you can watch a movie. I think that I will build on in the back seat.

I already have on of those displays that you can hang on the back of a seat, is there a way or a place to custum make a seat to put the screen in?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I want to buy 2 headrest monitor for my 05 prius with the BC option. My question is, can i install a dvd player and if so, where will it get power source and will I be able to connect the audio so the sound comes out of the stock speaker?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why? Other than the geek-exhibitionist factor... Why?

Are we so addicted to the media that we can't do without it for the trip to the corner grocery?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yes, but what about long trips? Kids get bored easy. Just don't bring a collection of week-long mini-series like my dad did on tape when I was a late teen. The stories were great, but you couldn't sit through them all in one sitting.

Power could probably be taken from the console or dash outlet, or even from behind the header. You can get an aux-in adapter and send the DVD audio to the sound system through that.
If you have JBL, then you can intercept the audio going to the amp from the header and insert the DVD audio using a DPDT switch to change between the two. You will stil have audio control as the amp does this.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Yes, but what about long trips? Kids get bored easy.
Kids? Why take the kids on vacation? If the kids come, it's HARDLY a vacation, is it? :p

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, I don't have kids, but I have observed famlies with kids, so I suppose you are right.

But in fairness, some kids are a delight to be around.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
DanMan32 said:
That's the argument I expected to hear... But farl too often the TV is the baby-sitter. First it was TV at home, now TV in the car, and even TV in the classroom.

And so the trend continues. TV because it's easier than discipline. TV because it's easier than communication. TV because it doesn't require imagination.

And for the next generation it will be TV because that's the way their parents did it, and they won't know any better.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
melgish said:
DanMan32 said:
That's the argument I expected to hear... But farl too often the TV is the baby-sitter. First it was TV at home, now TV in the car, and even TV in the classroom.

And so the trend continues. TV because it's easier than discipline. TV because it's easier than communication. TV because it doesn't require imagination.

And for the next generation it will be TV because that's the way their parents did it, and they won't know any better.
Struck a pet peeve? I agree with you completely! I have (very biased opinion coming) two of the nicest, smartest kids I have ever met. TV was very limited in their growing years, and video games were a Nintendo rental for one week at Christmas vacation. We still don't have cable in the house. TV is primarily for watching movie rentals. (and Desperate Housewives :oops: ) Monday night was library night where they could pick out the next weeks entertainment. Colleges scholarships are now one of many paybacks.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We used to play license plate bingo on long trips in the car, or alphabets with sightseeing stuff (A is for Appalachian mountains, B is for the bear over there!). In summer, Mom would have a summer reading project - she'd put a new segment on my bookworm for each book I read, and we'd see how long the bookworm got by the end of summer. Trips to the library once a week!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Not exactly a peeve... Just an observation. Hell for my first two I'm guity too. But why repeat..and compound upon...mistakes when there's a better option.

Maybe I'm just griping in general because the powers that be scheduled the annual company beach party right in the middle of what would otherwise have been a glorious three day weekend.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
melgish said:
Not exactly a peeve... Just an observation. Hell for my first two I'm guity too. But why repeat..and compound upon...mistakes when there's a better option.

Maybe I'm just griping in general because the powers that be scheduled the annual company beach party right in the middle of what would otherwise have been a glorious three day weekend.
Yeah, those company beach parties are a pain, aren't they? Up here we go ice fishing. In June.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Sanny said:
We used to play license plate bingo on long trips in the car, or alphabets with sightseeing stuff (A is for Appalachian mountains, B is for the bear over there!). In summer, Mom would have a summer reading project - she'd put a new segment on my bookworm for each book I read, and we'd see how long the bookworm got by the end of summer. Trips to the library once a week!
Lucky - you could read in the car. Reading in the car still gives me horrible motion-sickness headaches. Didn't stop my parents from taking me on 2 week driving vacations as a kid (MA through most states east of the Mississippi). I napped a lot (got rid of the headaches), or as I could I would try and "collect" seeing a license plate from every state, a full list of DOT placards on trucks, and different types of service signs. Best part was that I was in charge of the cooler and snack bag. ;-)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Shoot, I didn't say I read! I did that out the window. You kidding? I can look at a boat or a bus and get motion sick. Once my father gave me a "treat" of a limo trip to NYC to shop and see a show. Thought I would DIE!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Well, I don't have kids... [clip]
But in fairness, some kids are a delight to be around.
After the second sentence, the first becomes obvious... :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts