Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Prius today and one of the first things I noticed is that the RDS does not show messages while the car is in Drive. It tells you that this is for safety, but did they not consider that there might be a passenger who wants to read the song title or find out the weather forecast? We do this all the time in my wife's Venture.

Has anyone figured out a why to get the messages to display while the car is moving?

I was also disappointed to see that they do not have an "Any" category to just find any type. And that the clock can not be set via RDS. (Although I did that last week using a station that had their clock set to GMT instead of local time and I could not find another station broadcasting the time until I got home. :( )

Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
I for one think that Toyota has gone over the top on this no nothing while moving thing. No Nav, No phone, no nothing while moving. I think that there should be some way to opt out of this and take responsibility for our own actions and choices. I dislike being protected from myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
hdrygas said:
I for one think that Toyota has gone over the top on this no nothing while moving thing. No Nav, No phone, no nothing while moving. I think that there should be some way to opt out of this and take responsibility for our own actions and choices. I dislike being protected from myself.
The real issue is that *someone else* may end up paying for your actions and choices; I won't care if you total your Prius, unless of course you run into me while doing it. And considering traffic wrecks can cause permament injury or death, you may never be able to "take responsibility," as you phrase it.

Thanks,
Shawn
PS Please don't come back with the "I've never caused an wreck, I'm too careful, blah, blah, blah." It's not a valid argument.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
What I think is odd is that you can read the RDS info while moving, you just need to read it as it slowly scrolls by in the top of the 'Audio' screen and in the preset station's button (if it's a preset.) If anything, this is *LESS* safe than just showing a full-screen display of the text, as you have to stare at it for longer than if you could just glance over and read the whole thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
How is using you phone using hands free via the car different from dialing the phone directly and using it hand free. How is using Nav features different from the Emergency menu. Just for a test I tried it out yesterday evening to see if it would send me to the hospital. It sent me to a "urgent care office" not good if you need a hospital in a area you are not familiar with. I know for a fact that the particular office the computer was sending me to is just a doctors office that takes walk ins. Open 9 to 5. Monday through Friday. A group of new family doc's trying to build their practice. Not even a adequate urgent care facility. Other GPS systems and all hands free systems I have used allow access while moving. I restrain my self using my iQue system while moving but all I get is the opening warning, which by the way goes away in a minute or two if not acknowledged. As for taking responsibility the trial lawyers have you more than covered. I am just feeling a little libitarian this week because my garage door opener stopped working because the IR beam thing at the base of the door was broken. I did not even want the feature. As far as I was concerned it was just one more thing that could break and it did.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
ehurtley said:
What I think is odd is that you can read the RDS info while moving, you just need to read it as it slowly scrolls by in the top of the 'Audio' screen and in the preset station's button (if it's a preset.) If anything, this is *LESS* safe than just showing a full-screen display of the text, as you have to stare at it for longer than if you could just glance over and read the whole thing.
That's an individual station's idea of RDS. The station decides what to broadcast in the station ID area, and what to put in the MSG area. I have yet to see this scrolling thing on any stations in my broadcast area.

If the greyed out stuff really bothers you, you can always cut the speed sensor wire that's going to the display... However, note that the Navigation may not be as accurate, as the Nav uses your speed to help with your positioning when it doesn't have good satellite signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
I agree with Shawn on this one. Even hands-free talking on the phone (not just dialling) has been shown to be a distraction, and a factor in accidents. Even with both hands on the wheel, your mind is not 100% on your driving. And it's your mind more than your hands that contributes to accidents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
mrv said:
ehurtley said:
What I think is odd is that you can read the RDS info while moving, you just need to read it as it slowly scrolls by in the top of the 'Audio' screen and in the preset station's button (if it's a preset.) If anything, this is *LESS* safe than just showing a full-screen display of the text, as you have to stare at it for longer than if you could just glance over and read the whole thing.
That's an individual station's idea of RDS. The station decides what to broadcast in the station ID area, and what to put in the MSG area. I have yet to see this scrolling thing on any stations in my broadcast area.

If the greyed out stuff really bothers you, you can always cut the speed sensor wire that's going to the display... However, note that the Navigation may not be as accurate, as the Nav uses your speed to help with your positioning when it doesn't have good satellite signal.
Odd, about 3/4 of the stations in my area that use RDS have the same data displayed 'scrolling' on their button as in the MSG area. I always assumed that it was the Prius doing the scrolling. The only ones that don't have the same data are ones that only give their station name, so it doesn't scroll.

What I'd like to see is traffic or weather reports in the MSG area.

As for cutting the speed sensor? I don't have a NAV system, so that's not an issue. I just don't really want to be cutting anything. If there was a way to disable it without cutting a wire, maybe. (If the wire could be completely REPLACED with a wire that has a switch in the middle, and I could swap it for the old wire without it being obvious, then fine.) Basically, I don't want to modify my Prius in any way that Toyota could claim violates the warranty unless I can restore it to 'original' shape without them knowing about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Odd, about 3/4 of the stations in my area that use RDS have the same data displayed 'scrolling' on their button as in the MSG area. I always assumed that it was the Prius doing the scrolling. The only ones that don't have the same data are ones that only give their station name, so it doesn't scroll.

What I'd like to see is traffic or weather reports in the MSG area.
There are several stations around me that broadcast weather and major traffic events in the Toronto (Ontario, Canada) area. I have only noticed one station that modifies their station name to show information about the current song, but that was in my wife's car, not the Prius so I have not seen how the Prius handles that.

At minimum the car should check to see if there is any weight in the passenger seat and show the RDS information if there is a passenger to read it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
pweaver said:
There are several stations around me that broadcast weather and major traffic events in the Toronto (Ontario, Canada) area. I have only noticed one station that modifies their station name to show information about the current song, but that was in my wife's car, not the Prius so I have not seen how the Prius handles that.

At minimum the car should check to see if there is any weight in the passenger seat and show the RDS information if there is a passenger to read it.
Maybe I just haven't had the patience to wait for a traffic/weather report on a station that broadcasts long RDS. I like the passenger idea, though. (I can't wait for Coastal Tech's video passthrough, so I can spit my notebook computer's video to the screen to have really good GPS. I hope their mod has audio, too. Then I just need to figure out how to make the touchscreen a USB input device on my notebook. :p )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Anyone figure out if it's just a U.S. Prius that has the movement limitation?

Also, I don't have a bluetooth phone yet, so I don't know exactly how it's functionality is limited by moving, (I'm sure you can fill me in) but common sense say this is a completely dumb-arse idea. The PHONE doesn't know when it's in a car, and continues to function. Disabling handsfree while the car is moving, only means my hands are on the phone, and not the steering wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
bluetooth handsfree

melgish said:
Also, I don't have a bluetooth phone yet, so I don't know exactly how it's functionality is limited by moving, (I'm sure you can fill me in) but common sense say this is a completely dumb-arse idea. The PHONE doesn't know when it's in a car, and continues to function. Disabling handsfree while the car is moving, only means my hands are on the phone, and not the steering wheel.
Hi melgish,

Yup, your phone continues to function. You can still make & receive calls.

What's disabled is your ability to use the touchscreen to dial anything but your one-touch entries. (I haven't tried calling a POI entry yet.) However, the handsfree system does kick in after the call is picked up when you dial from your cell.

Louie

P.S. No, I haven't test everything out yet. I've only had the car since last Thursday. Gimme a break. Sheesh! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
ehurtley said:
As for cutting the speed sensor? I don't have a NAV system, so that's not an issue. I just don't really want to be cutting anything. If there was a way to disable it without cutting a wire, maybe. (If the wire could be completely REPLACED with a wire that has a switch in the middle, and I could swap it for the old wire without it being obvious, then fine.) Basically, I don't want to modify my Prius in any way that Toyota could claim violates the warranty unless I can restore it to 'original' shape without them knowing about it.
How about making an extension cable, from thexisting plug to socket and just leaving out the speed sensor wire (or including a switch in it.)?

Then unplug the existing cable and place your extension between the plus and socket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
ehurtley said:
mrv said:
ehurtley said:
What I think is odd is that you can read the RDS info while moving, you just need to read it as it slowly scrolls by in the top of the 'Audio' screen and in the preset station's button (if it's a preset.) If anything, this is *LESS* safe than just showing a full-screen display of the text, as you have to stare at it for longer than if you could just glance over and read the whole thing.
That's an individual station's idea of RDS. The station decides what to broadcast in the station ID area, and what to put in the MSG area. I have yet to see this scrolling thing on any stations in my broadcast area.

If the greyed out stuff really bothers you, you can always cut the speed sensor wire that's going to the display... However, note that the Navigation may not be as accurate, as the Nav uses your speed to help with your positioning when it doesn't have good satellite signal.
Odd, about 3/4 of the stations in my area that use RDS have the same data displayed 'scrolling' on their button as in the MSG area. I always assumed that it was the Prius doing the scrolling. The only ones that don't have the same data are ones that only give their station name, so it doesn't scroll.

What I'd like to see is traffic or weather reports in the MSG area.

As for cutting the speed sensor? I don't have a NAV system, so that's not an issue. I just don't really want to be cutting anything. If there was a way to disable it without cutting a wire, maybe. (If the wire could be completely REPLACED with a wire that has a switch in the middle, and I could swap it for the old wire without it being obvious, then fine.) Basically, I don't want to modify my Prius in any way that Toyota could claim violates the warranty unless I can restore it to 'original' shape without them knowing about it.
There is a mod for that it requires 2 switches check out the Priuschat board there was a thread a few weeks ago. More than I would be willing to take on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
RDS 'MSG' test.

So I had an hour break for lunch yesterday, and decided to spend it eating in the car. During that time, I played with the radio. Here's what I have determined: (At least, it's true for stations in Portland, Oregon, on a 2004 #7 Prius.)

1. Stations that only broadcast their call letters or name on RDS do not trigger the 'MSG' button. They just list their name in the button (if I have it saved,) and in the station ID at the top of the screen.

2. Stations that broadcast more data have it appear exactly the same in the message screen and 'scrolling' in their button (again, if I have it saved,) and on the station ID at the top of the screen. Furthermore, the 'MSG' button only becomes available after the entire message has scrolled by at least once in the station ID field at the top of the screen.

This leads me to believe that the RDS only broadcasts a single 'channel' of data. This channel appears to be able to transmit quite a bit (I counted one message that had more than 40 characters.) As the Prius gets the data, it shows it in the station ID field as it receives it, 'scrolling' it as it goes. Once it has received the entire message, it makes the 'MSG' button available to tap, which then just shows the whole message, rather than scrolling it.

I have yet to see a single station that has different data on the station ID field as in the message screen. (Except where the data is so short that it all fits in the station ID field, so it doesn't even make the message screen available.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: RDS 'MSG' test.

ehurtley said:
So I had an hour break for lunch yesterday, and decided to spend it eating in the car. During that time, I played with the radio. Here's what I have determined: (At least, it's true for stations in Portland, Oregon, on a 2004 #7 Prius.)

1. Stations that only broadcast their call letters or name on RDS do not trigger the 'MSG' button. They just list their name in the button (if I have it saved,) and in the station ID at the top of the screen.

2. Stations that broadcast more data have it appear exactly the same in the message screen and 'scrolling' in their button (again, if I have it saved,) and on the station ID at the top of the screen. Furthermore, the 'MSG' button only becomes available after the entire message has scrolled by at least once in the station ID field at the top of the screen.

This leads me to believe that the RDS only broadcasts a single 'channel' of data. This channel appears to be able to transmit quite a bit (I counted one message that had more than 40 characters.) As the Prius gets the data, it shows it in the station ID field as it receives it, 'scrolling' it as it goes. Once it has received the entire message, it makes the 'MSG' button available to tap, which then just shows the whole message, rather than scrolling it.

I have yet to see a single station that has different data on the station ID field as in the message screen. (Except where the data is so short that it all fits in the station ID field, so it doesn't even make the message screen available.)
I have only seen one station in this area that was broadcasting from somewhere in New York that does what you describe. The majority of the stations use RDS the way it is supposed to be used. For the best description I have found of RDS see http://murray.newcastle.edu.au/users/st ... ts/Hopper/, the SERVICES part would probably be the most interesting to the casual reader.

Did you try testing the Traffic button? In some cars the traffic information will stop your CD player when it comes on. I do not know if the Prius will do this or if the Prius will only do this when stopped?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
The traffic button just scans for the next station that plays traffic info 'regularly'. It does not guarantee getting traffic info 'right now'. (And some stations that it chooses may not be having traffic info for a long time, for example, if I hit it at noon, it might take me to a station that only does traffic during the morning and afternoon rush hours.)

Thanks for the link, by the way. Very informative. Looking at the 'Features' page, what I can deduce is that the Prius displays the following in my area:

Primary Feature 2: Program Service Name (PS). This appears to be where call letters or a short 'name' are transmitted. All of my stored stations seem to transmit this. This is the 8-letter 'name' that appears in the button or ID field.

Primary Feature 4a: Travel Program Identification (TP). This is what I am assuming is 'on' on the channels that tune when I use the 'TRAF' button.

No other primary features seem to be in use. Secondary features in use in my area are:

1. Program Type (PTY). This is what lets you use the 'genre' button to change types of music, and have it find that type of station for you. (Although in my area, some are very loosely defined. I have a country station listed as 'Pop', and a R&B/Rap station listed as 'Easy Listening'.)

2. Decoder Information (DI). This simply tells if it's in stereo or not. Although the Prius might just show what it is actually playing, not what the sender is sending.

7. Radiotext (RT). This appears to be the 48-character data that I see local channels using to display song information. This appears to be what triggers the 'MSG' button and the 'message' screen. I have only seen this in use by music stations, and now that I think about it, only stations owned by a single conglomerate. (Entercom.) Although I haven't paid too much attention to other stations, since the only two commercial stations I listen to on a regular basis are both Entercom. This field appears to load slowly, and 'overwrite' the button and ID field as it receives it. Once a complete message has been received, it makes the 'MSG' button available, and will then display the entire message in the message screen. But even if I'm driving, or when I'm not in the message screen, this data 'scrolls' in the station button and the station ID field.

Here's a short video clip of what I mean. http://homepage.mac.com/ehurtley/rds.mpg (1.3MB 160x120 MPEG-1 file recorded on my digital still camera.) When it first starts, it's a closeup of just the buttons. All six have 'names' associated with them, apparently from 'primary feature 2'. Button 4 is 'scrolling' the name of a song (but not the song that's playing,) as is the 'station ID' field at the top left. When I go into the message screen, the same message is shown there as is scrolling (still) in the 'station ID' field. I then leave the message field, and switch stations. Data starts 'scrolling' in both the button and station ID field, which, when I then go to the message screen, shows up there.

Is this not how it works for the rest of you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Hey, cool... another Mac (and .Mac) user. 8)
ehurtley said:
Is this not how it works for the rest of you?
Not sure; I don't use the radio that much. Will be "out and about" this weekend and see what I get from local stations. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I'm currently too lazy to remember exactly who has written what, so I'm justing putting down what I know.
The station "name" that appears on the button is NOT the same thing as the message. In fact, I have seen some stations that have different "button" names and different messages that they send. However, most stations will make the two portions identical because on most cars, there is only one line for displaying RDS data that is in the dash. Therefore, the station sends out snippets of the message in its "name" field, so that someone can read the text and therefore it looks like it's scrolling. I know that this is not something that the Prius does on its own because a) a friend with an Audi reports the same behavior, and b) sometimes, when we have bad reception, the snippets get lost and the scrolling is not continuous.
And a final note on info that's not shown while driving: actually, it's shown, as long as your speed is under 5 mph. Try it some time - open up the message screen, and then come to a stop. The message will appear. Then accelerate slowly, keeping an eye on the spedometer. As soon as your speed goes above 4 mph, the message will disappear. This is also true for Bluetooth phone dialing. [taken from Toyota's own "Installation Quick Reference Guide", Toyota Integrated Bluetooth Mobile System, used to be available online but no longer is]
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top