Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Prius package 9. My headlights were brutally stolen for the second time in a year a couple of nights ago. Is it possible to install non HID lights in their place? I can't risk this happenng again.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Since you have fog lights, the thiefs believe you have HIDs. Even if you replace the HIDs with halogens, they won't know it, and will still vandalize your car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? The guy working on my car said he researched it and found that he had to replace them with HID's - something to do with the computer. Is he BS'ing me??? I am at the point of wanting to sell my beloved Prius for a lesser model just to get rid of the HID's. Your advice is so so appreciated! :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Really? The guy working on my car said he researched it and found that he had to replace them with HID's - something to do with the computer. Is he BS'ing me??? I am at the point of wanting to sell my beloved Prius for a lesser model just to get rid of the HID's. Your advice is so so appreciated! :(
Why not just trade it in on a 2006 that doesn't have the HIDs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I'm thining - atrade-in. I'm very attached to the NAV system. Can I get the NAV system package without the HID's??

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If the headlamp assembly is compatable, then switching shouldn't be a problem.

Then again, the wiring is a bit different. With halogens, there are 2 filaments, but with HID, there's only one, but a servo changes the shutter. The HID leveler could simply be removed or disconnected.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts

....Sorry if you took it the wrong way. If you had mentioned that you had already been told it was impossible, I would have skipped the post.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I did several searches on HID theft, and here is what I found:

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Prius. I found basically no examples of Prius lamp theft, except the one here.

It was a problem a couple years ago for Nissan and some others mostly in the NE parts of the country.

According to some people, Nissan and other manufacturers have now redesigned HID lamps to make them more difficult to steal. Nissan also issued retension brackets for thier lights which could previously be taken out easilly.

The most hits I got on HID theft were for car alarm sites. They seem to hype this issue (and every car theft issue) way out of proportion obviously to sell more alarms.

So, I'm going to look into the mechanical feasability of stealing the HID from the 2006. If it looks possible I'll probably take some preventative action. Otherwise, not worrying about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hid

The headlight assemblies are different. They are not compatiable The NON HID assemblies are about 150 ea if I remember right. The nonhid assemblies don't have the adjuster. It should be a wiring issue and I think can be done but not sure. I have also found a cheap source for the modules and bulbs. If you need the contact let me know and I will look it up for you, but it is substantially cheaper than the vendor on this site and dealers cost. I have repaired some HID prius'es and used this method and modules have worked perfectly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts