Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is one option the US Prius is really missing. If you turn the headlights on and leave them on all the time, during the day you either have to turn up the dimmer switch, or set the Nav unit to day mode. Then when it becomes night, you have to fiddle with it again. this gets old day after day when the auto headlight option would remedy this. The Prius appears to have the day light sensor already installed by on the dash by the windshield. Can the car be retrofitted with the Canadian auto head light feature?

I really don't care about the running ligths as I have heard that dimmed HID headlights will reduce the life of the headlight elements.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The sensor on the dash is used to aid the climate control system; the hole next to it is blank, and is where the DRL sensor would reside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
KTPhil said:
The sensor on the dash is used to aid the climate control system; the hole next to it is blank, and is where the DRL sensor would reside.
I agree that this car should have the Auto-On headlights, a small but real disapointment. My wife had them on her van (traded in for our Prius) and has forgotten to turn on the headlights every time she starts out at night. She now recognizes the little headlight symbol on the dash is missing until she does turn them on. We have taken to just leaving them on all the time as ours is mostly lighted city driving and the dash lights aren't dimmed that much.

KTPhil,

Do you happen to know what the 2 blanks next to the dash dimmer switch are for? Apparently we have 3 items missing in the US version.

Ed

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I haven't seen any specific use, but it allows for future additions without cutting the dash.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Anyone in Canada willing to send us USA people the auto sensor module so we can try retrofitting? Best if a Toyota tech tries, as I am sure some manipulation with the THHT is needed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
here is a link to a module that would give you day time running lights:
warning: this cannot be used in a prius with HID's

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10101

Note: There are 2 units shown in the link:
#1 High voltage (I think this means full voltage) and will light the headlights normal intensity.

#2 reduced voltage which reduces the intensity which is what is done in factory installed running lights. but since I don't see a light sensing device with it that means you must remember to turn your lights on when it gets dark or you will be driving with reduced intensity in the headlights.
(for this reason I would choose the full voltage unit)

I agree it would be best to install the toyota module because that second light sensor that you would install in the dashboard senses the dusk time and would readjust the headlight voltage for night time driving.

Anyone have wiring info on the prius headlights.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It doesn't adjust voltage, but rather what filaments are used. At first it would operate the filaments in series, but I now don't think that is the case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Automatic headlights in owners manual

The RUNNING lights defeats the purpose. I still would have to turn on the headlights at night in order to get the tail lights working. Also, I don't want to dim the NAV unit during the daytime. I was just wondering if a person could purchase the Canadian auto headlight apparatus and retrofit the US Prius?

To me, something like this should be made into a dealer installed option. I can't believe a top of the line, teckie car, is missing something so simple!!! It wouldn't be bad, but leaving the headlights on all the time dims the NAV and if you set the NAV to daymode, then it blinds you at night, so you have to reset the daymode to off. GEE, its easier just to turn on the headlights!!!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I personally would be willing to try the retrofit, but I would need access to 2 things I don't find likely that I will:
The sensor module, and the THHT. All the rest, I probably could work somthing out, including possibly extra relays, and an extra switch to enable the AUTO function that's currently not on the stalk.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No, Canada.

Well, I can't speak for Japan, but the NA owner's manual has it in there because of Canada. The reason we don't have it, is because it isn't compatable with HID, which is an option for us. Canada doesn't have HID, because DRL is required there, and DRL is not compatable with HID.

Could Toyota have worked something out? Probably. But then, there's lots of stuff Toyota could have worked out for us but chose not to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Prius headlights and wiper controls are the same as my 1987 4-Runner. The seats were more advanced in the 1987 truck. Captain's seat, lumbar support, etc. For all the bells and whistles of the Prius, Toyota seemed to skimp a lot on the basics. Lastly, I wish the seat went back two inches further. There seems to be a lot of unnecessary room for the back seat passengers. [end rant]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts