Toyota Prius Forum banner

can alarm systems (aftermarket) be linked to your smartkey?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ScubaX 
#1 ·
does the prius (package 4) come with a car alarm? as i understand it, it does not.

what i wondered was can an aftermarket car alarm be set to work with your smart-key? I'd hate to have to carry around 2 fobs...

#2 ·
Forgive me, experts, if I get this wrong. There is a car alarm in the car's brain, it's just not turned on in some packages. Having the dealer install a glass breakage sensor will turn it on, or find a kind and generous dealer who will tweak the system by using the magic tweaking tool.

This question has been discussed frequently - do a search on "GBS" (glass breakage sensor) and you'll probably find it.

#3 ·
I have a package #4 and the dealer turned on the alarm for free, it's just a setting with the scan tool. Glass breakage sensor is not required and actually makes the job more dificult. GBS requires additional parts to be installed and you will have to pay for this, around $160 as I recall.

#4 ·
Re: can alarm systems (aftermarket) be linked to your smartk

idealflaw said:
what i wondered was can an aftermarket car alarm be set to work with your smart-key? I'd hate to have to carry around 2 fobs...
So far, the Viper people have never replied to any of my requests about this. I suggested that they had a growing market of 'smart' cars that knew when their owner was near, and allowing the existing mechanism to disarm a better alarm would probably sell well. Dead silence followed...

#5 ·
OverTork said:
I have a package #4 and the dealer turned on the alarm for free, it's just a setting with the scan tool. Glass breakage sensor is not required and actually makes the job more dificult. GBS requires additional parts to be installed and you will have to pay for this, around $160 as I recall.

how do i get my dealer to do this for me? this seems like the way to go, if it's just software...

#6 ·
Ask nicely, the website lists it as a $250 option. I paid well above MSRP so that may be why they were nice about it. I also let them know that I knew it was there and that it was only a two minute job to turn it on, kinda hard to justify charging someone $250 for that. I did have to show the techs how to do it though.

#11 ·
idealflaw said:
cool..

is the 'scanner' a dealership tool? or is that just something you can do on your own... i'll print this out and show it to them!
Yep, dealer only tool. My local dealer quoted me $288 to install GBS and turn on the alarm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.