Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? We currently have a 2002 Camry. We really like the car. It is mainly my wife's car. She drives to work and the trip is about 60 miles round trip. She drives approximately 3 days a week to work. The Camry has about 50,000 miles on it. I figure she puts on about 25,000 miles per year. We are interested in the Prius for the obvious gas savings. We figure we get about 28-29 mpg with the Camry. From the posts I have read it looks like most people get about 45 mpg on their Pruis. The road she takes is an interstate so it is mostly freeway miles. We are thinking of selling the Camry because of the miles and realize that we will be in the same boat in another 2 years with the Prius. Our problem is trying to decide if we should really take the plunge and buy the Prius this year. A couple of other motivators are the tax credits. The fed. is fazing theirs out after this year which I think is $2,000 this year and maybe $600 next. We also can get a State tax credit as well. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
US federal taxes

Assuming that there isn't another change in the tax code... For the US Federal Clean Fueled Vehicle deduction:
NEW Purchase in calendar/tax year 2005 is a $2000 deduction (reduction of gross income)
NEW Purchase in calendar/tax year 2006 is a $500 deduction (reduction of gross income)

so, the amount you get back depends on your tax bracket...

What state are you in? Best to check the filing info for the individual state, and see if any of those are being phased out or if you must apply before taking delivery... (For example, the MA state deduction ended at the end of 2004...)

of course, I always suggest an extended test drive. as much as you may like the car on paper, actually being in it, taking it on your usual driving route, it may not "fit" your body shape or your personality. (For example, maybe you don't like a hatchback and prefer the sedan, or you're all legs and don't fit the driver's seat... Then again, you may fall in love with it.)

another thought is to wait and see if there are any color or feature changes that you would prefer in a 2006, compared to a 2005 Prius or Camry...

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Prius has roughly the same footprint as the Camry. We parked next to a new Camry at the grocery store and were shocked to notice that the lengths were about the same. It feels like the Prius is smaller and easier to maneuver, mainly (I think) because the front end is so small. There is also a lot more passenger and cargo room and the car overall feels bigger than a Camry. nice if you're trying to haul lots of stuff around on occasion (we're trail bikers and fit both bikes in back)

But, there are plenty of people who aren't going to like a Prius, like MRV said. I would drive one around a bit, have your wife drive it... and if it's possible maybe rent one for a few days.

The tax credit made it worth purchasing this year for us, but I'm a student and he's just getting his career off the ground so we're by no means in a high tax bracket.

We're planning on putting 150,000 miles on the Prius, when you trade a car is really your preference above all else. But the Prius can go for a loong time without having major problems.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
We have an 02 Camry with roughly the same mileage as you (77,290km). The Camry is my dad's/family car and the Prius is for myself and my bro. Here's a couple of differences

- there's way more room to stretch out in the front in the Camry
- the steering wheel in the Camry feels skinny and oversized after driving the Prius
- I like the soft-touch 'grain-like' plastics on the Camry's dash and door cappings.
- there's more room to stretch out in the back in the Prius
- the Prius' rear seats fold flatter than the Camry's
- the Prius' front seats can fully recline making a make-shift bed or "ottoman"/legrest if you sit in the back seat
- there's more headroom in the Prius (we have a moonroof in the Camry)
- no height adjustable front seats in the Prius

or you could wait for a Camry Hybrid

Here's some sneak peeks
http://hybridscoop.com/image/tid/6

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
If you are happy with the Camry and your Toyota dealer, I would suggest you check the price difference bottom line. If the list price is the same I'de say you might like the Prius because it is "different." If there is a several thousand dollar difference I would suggest you check out the new Camry. I'm sure it would take years to make up fuel cost savings. Taxwise if you make 75 thousand annnually the dollar saving the one year would probably be a little less than $500.00
The Camry hybrid supposedly available this fall will probably bottom line list around $28,000. The Highlander H available now about $37,000.
All in all, at the present time you get a lot more "bang from your buck " with the Camry unless you really want something your neighbor doesn't have.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
camry to prius

I went from 1999 Camry (87k miles) to 2005 Prius. My commute is 75 miles a day (r/t). The Camry was wonderfully comfortable, leather seats, moon roof (!!!), adjustable seat (aahh), lots of front leg room, and a pleasure to drive. It got 27 mpg on average with my mostly-highway driving.

I'm not making up the price difference between Camry and Prius on mpg, at the present cost per gallon. The front seat is not as comfy, although I don't mind the Prius seat. I miss the moon roof. And I do think the Camry is a traditionally handsome car. The Prius is a little goofy (in a good way). I'd not have put flowers or stars on the nose of my Camry.

That said, I knew I probably wouldn't make up the price difference. It was more about emissions and envt for me. I made the conscious choice. I would have enjoyed the Camry for another few years, I'm sure - I gave it to friends, who just love it, and will keep it for a long while.

Weigh more than the cost, I think, before you decide.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Another thing to consider is that this is a rapidly developing technology. Compared to the 2001 Prius, the 2004 model was larger, had better performance, more standard features and better fuel economy for the same price (which Toyota has increased a bit over the past two years). Whenever the next major "upgrade" occurs - probably the 2007 model - it will probably be a significant technological step forward.

As for fuel economy, the Prius has no meaningful average mpg. You can improve/hurt your mpg through your driving style, but certain factors - such as the average length of your trip and the average temperature where you live - have an enormous effect. For instance, your wife's long commute could make for excellent for mileage, providing she doesn't drive too fast. (On highway trips in Colorado's thin air, we routinely average 50-60 mpg at 55-65 mph.) If you drive a lot in a North Dakota winter, well, goodbye 50 mpg.

I'm with Sanny that this shouldn't be an entirely economic decision - and the fact that you're considering buying a new car at all suggests you're aware of that. If cars were just a matter of dollars and cents, we'd all be driving around in used Echos. :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sell the Camry. Buy a Prius. Join the intelligent, peaceful revolution.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Camry vs Prius

Oh how "old" Prius owners have forgotten the thrill of leaving their old cars, having to use a key to enter the car and again to put it into the ignition, crank it up and have the engine run endlessly.

They've forgotten how it feels to drive their old car and feel the transmission shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and back down again. They've taken for granted the voice activation system?? They couldn't have forgotten that the power steering and a/c do not run off the engine?!! Did they forget what the Prius is all about??

The speedometer is close to a "heads up" display making it not necessary to look down to see the gauges.

Presently the Prius is the highest technology vehicle (still) on the road today. The gas mileage is only a part of the Prius.

Camry vs. Prius??? The Camry is a really good car!!! But he Prius is years ahead of the Camry.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I wouldn't do it. Enough people are worried about voiding their warranty with the EV switch. I can only imagine the ramifications of a Camry to Prius switch.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thomme said:
I wouldn't do it. Enough people are worried about voiding their warranty with the EV switch. I can only imagine the ramifications of a Camry to Prius switch.
You'd have to drive into a phone booth to use it, though. All changes from mild mannered sedan to environmental superhero should take place in a phone booth. :wink:

·
Registered
84 Posts
We went from a 2001 Camery to the Pri. Ours had 51000 on it when we traded it in and we test drove the Pri before we bought it . As big as I am (6'4" and 250 lbs) I agree there is a little less legroom in the drivers seat and more head rooom. We got the leather seats so we don't notice a big difference in the seating but we do miss the power seats.

I do keep hitting my knee in the shift lever when in cruise and I move around so I wish they had gone with buttons like the old Edsel instead of the lever. The other things are much nicer the the Camery however and if you get gas above $3 per gal then the price differance will disappear.

G

·
We went from a 1992 Camray (248,000 mi) to our 2005 pkg 6. I feel that the Prius is more comrortable than the Camray, it has a longer wheelbase than the Camray. We have had no regrets, love the Pri.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sanny said:
Thomme said:
You'd have to drive into a phone booth to use it, though. All changes from mild mannered sedan to environmental superhero should take place in a phone booth. :wink:
Why would anybody want to make a Canary to Prius switch ?

I got a Prius. I use to have a Canary. :cry:

Can anyone help me find my Canary ? :( I want them both !

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
An04Prius said:
I got a Prius. I use to have a Canary. :cry:

Can anyone help me find my Canary ? :( I want them both !
Now you're just being greedy. As for where's the canary...I'd ask ChasSuitt. He and that white cat have been awfully silent about this. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Astrowoman said:
I dunno, the bear's been cooking people, I think he's just being coy about the canary!
And I'll bet you think we leave Granma on an ice flow when she is too old, too. How can we ever overcome these stereotypes. ?

·
Registered
928 Posts
An04Prius said:
Astrowoman said:
I dunno, the bear's been cooking people, I think he's just being coy about the canary!
And I'll bet you think we leave Granma on an ice flow when she is too old, too. How can we ever overcome these stereotypes. ?
Just eat anyone who uses them!

Flees.

Arctic rule number 1. You don't have to be faster than the Polar Bear, just faster than the guy next to you.

·
Registered
669 Posts
RSnyder said:
Arctic rule number 1. You don't have to be faster than the Polar Bear, just faster than the guy next to you.
Uh oh... :shock:

I'm sorry bear. Really. I bet you even get Gran one of those nice heated beds like my 19-year-old kitty has.

My stereo-type is the upgraded one? What's yours?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts