Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm on the email list for Toyota's Hybrid newsletter. In today's is the following info on the Hybrid Camry

And how's this for detailed, but vague:
Most of Camry Hybrid's electrical powertrain components will be imported from Japan, but the 4-cylinder engine will be assembled in Georgetown, Kentucky. As with all other Toyota vehicles featuring Hybrid Synergy Drive®, the Camry Hybrid powertrain will be engineered to achieve the model's specific performance specifications and to exceed buyer expectations.
So it will be a 4-cylinder. But it looks like it will be a little more tuned for power than the Prius. It does say that they will 'produce' the Camry Hybrid in 2006. This could easily mean production in mid-to-late 2006 for a 2007 model year car. Or it could be a 2006 model year car introduced early in the year. My money would be on the 2007 though.

It also mentions that Toyota plans to produce 300,000 hybrids annually starting this year. And that the Camry sells 425,000 units per year, making it 'America's most popular car'. (Their words, not mine.) So if they were to abandon the Prius, and split hybrid production 50/50 between the Camry and Highlander, that would be almost 1/3 of Camry production for the year as hybrid. (I assume they will keep the Prius though, as it is their distinctive 'hi-tech' hybrid car.)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
sweeet. I will predict it'll be based on the current 2.4 litre 2AZ-FE engine. This setup is already used in the Alphard Hybrid so I don't see why not in the Camry. Hmm, a 200hp Camry hybrid maybe? and leave the 230hp 3.3 litre 3MZ-FE engines to fill in the V6 models.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts