Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted the same topic on PriusChat.com, but just in case some folks don't read both, I'd like to ensure I gather as many points of view as possible, so here it goes . . . how much do you miss your truck???

I need some help!!! . . I'm driving my wife crazy analyzing this situation to death so she recommended that I ask you experts:

I currently own/drive a 2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew. I've been reading both Prius Chat and Prius Online for months now and I'm seriously considering placing an order for a 2006 Prius, but while I know I will love the gas mileage and all the gadgets of the Prius, I'm concerned over whether or not I'll miss the room and functionality I have in my truck.

Here's what I've figured out so far:

- The gas savings alone will be approximately $1,845 a year. I came up with this figure using approx. 15,000 miles a year at $2.50 per gallon, and using 45 MPG for the Prius and 14 MPG for the truck. (I know I might be able to get a little better in the Prius.)

- We're moving to Los Angeles next year and being able to drive in the HOV lanes will make a much better commute in the Prius.

- I owe about $16,000 on the truck and figure the Prius will cost me about $30,000 out the door with all the little extras I would want to add. It'll take some time to even out, but in the long run the financially smart bet is the Prius because in five years I'll end up saving approximatley $4,000.

------------------------------------------------------

Here are the pros and cons of each vehicle (as I see it):

- Gain of the navigation system in the Prius. A big plus!!!

- The Prius is better for the environment, comes with tax breaks, etc.

- Loss of room/seating capacity in the Prius. I can fit six in the truck (five comfortably) vs. four comfortably in the Prius. But, I'm normally the only one in my truck!!!

- Loss of towing and hauling ability. I don't haul a lot, but I do have to pick up gas for the lawn mower, take the dogs (two Jack Russells) to the vet, etc. (I know I can put the dogs in the Prius, but I'm a neat freak and don't like gas fumes and dog hair all inside my vehicles.

- Another big question is which is really safer for my kids? I believe that if I was in a wreck with the other, my preference would be to be in the truck.

Any opinions on this are/will be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: Calling all current & former full-size pick up drive

First off - I do not own a Prius.

Stranger said:
Here are the pros and cons of each vehicle (as I see it):

- Gain of the navigation system in the Prius. A big plus!!!
I have a Nav system, and while it is a neat toy, I coud easily live without it.

- The Prius is better for the environment, comes with tax breaks, etc.
Huge advantage

- Loss of room/seating capacity in the Prius. I can fit six in the truck (five comfortably) vs. four comfortably in the Prius. But, I'm normally the only one in my truck!!!
think you answered your own question there

- Loss of towing and hauling ability. I don't haul a lot, but I do have to pick up gas for the lawn mower, take the dogs (two Jack Russells) to the vet, etc. (I know I can put the dogs in the Prius, but I'm a neat freak and don't like gas fumes and dog hair all inside my vehicles.
Just hope you have a friend you can borrow there truck when need be.

- Another big question is which is really safer for my kids? I believe that if I was in a wreck with the other, my preference would be to be in the truck.
The size of the truck is a big advantage, my wife has been hit twice in our suburban with the kids in the truck, both times the other person fault, both times at the driver and left rear passenger doors, both times no one was luckily hurt - I can't imagine that would be the same in a compact car. the impact in both accidents was at the bottom of the door and body, had they been in a compact, the impact would have been mid to upper part of the vehicle.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Option #3:

Keep the truck; the trade in will kill you.

Buy an older Prius for all of your other 'normal' tasks.

Option #4:

Buy a used Honda Insight; one person commuter with even higher numbers, but not so cargo friendly; keep the truck for chores and kids' safety would seem to be a better compromise.

I could not wait to trade my TransAm in on a Dodge Dakota, but found out that in reality the savings for hauling and towing were a myth for me. Traded the Dakota for a Venture van (better for me) I had a VW New Beetle at the same time so commuting was ehh..traded the van for a Honda Civic Hybrid (80% solution) and sold the VW outright. Traded the HCH for the 2005 Prius (what I wanted before I got the HCH :wink: :wink: but did not want to wait :cry: )

I found now that I can rent a truck from Home Depot for the 2-3 time a year that I 'need' a truck; other things can be delivered :lol:

But everyone has a different view on what is necessary and feasible.

·
Registered
736 Posts
former truck owners

I used to own a pickup truck, which I sold to a friend when I bought my Prius two years ago. I still sometimes miss the truck, like when I have to haul gardening supplies, etc. I have a cargo mat in my Prius, but of course I can't haul as much as the truck with a 4x8.5 foot bed did. I can't haul a big Christmas tree, either. Thinking of going artificial this year, which is better environmentaly, anyway.
I sure like the gas mileage I get now, nearly 54mpg lifetime average. My truck was a regular cab, so I actually gained seating. Prius has airbags, including side airbags, truck was a '93 model, so had none.
All things considered, I am better off, but I do miss the truck. One thing I have noticed, however, is that my son never borrows my Prius!
Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the simple question that you have to ask yourself is: do you "NEED" the truck?

If you live in a suburbia with little property then you may not need the pickup...however, if you own any significant property that requires maintenance then the truck becomes a necessity. If you are constantly hauling things around you should keep your truck and buy an older Prius maybe. A lot of your decision is based upon your finances obviously. If you can make two car payments then have your spouse buy it under her name and keep both vehicles.

We own two trucks, one Taco 4x4 and one Dodge turbo diesel dually. We are considering dumping the Dodge due to diesel prices however, the Taco can't pull what the diesel can (trailers and what not) But when you factor in the frequency of use it doesn't justify having it. Yes its paid for but you still have that years worth of insurance on it.

The wife drives the Taco back and forth being she has the shorter distance and she likes riding "higher" than a car. Then on the weekends we use it for the Home Depot runs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am a former Ford F250 extended cab owner, but I've been recovered now for almost six months. I just hope my newfound recovery hasn't resulted in me writing too long of a reply.

I too was in Stranger's situation, and I analyzed everything too. But I could live without the NAV system, and the big stereo system, which saves extra thousands of dollars. And now with the tax CREDIT after 1/1/06, it swings everything even more towards the Prius.

My wife hated the ride and the rear seat in the F250. It was an extended cab, so I don't know if the F150 would be any better.

It had a V10, but would have done better with a boat anchor. The engine was worthless. One time I pulled a trailer for a 10 mile round trip several times. Months later when I was analyzing gas records I thought somebody was stealing gas from the truck, because it was only getting 8 mpg, instead of the usual 12 mpg. That is a disgrace. I had a '91 F250 with a 460 engine in it, and it would get 15 mpg towing, and I could get over 18 driving nice.

Then there is the trade-in value. I wanted every penny out of the truck so I tried to sell it myself, but still for a fair value. Nobody would even come and make an offer. So I traded it in, which still worked out OK because what I lost on the sale I gained on the sales tax savings. But once gas was over $3/gallon I would have been out thousands of dollars more. Now that the gas price has dropped back a bit, my advice is jump at the opportunity, get rid of the truck, and buy either a Prius or another hybrid. But I definitely wouldn't pay over MSRP, with a bit of work you should be able to get it.

I too figured 44 mpg with the Prius. That has not been the case. I've been averaging about 51 mpg. So that's even more savings for you than you might have been initially calculating.

I think the dogs will also be able to drive in the Prius without any problems. If you're worried about cleaning the interior, from what I've read and seen myself it is very easy to keep clean. We had the car for about a week before my daughter got sick when we were driving. Now, we have an advantage because we're Towel People, who cover every possible area with a towel (as opposed to Plastic People), so it wasn't too bad, but we still had to do a bit of washing and it came back 100%.

I've also gotten 30 gallons of gas in cans in the Prius. That's fun times at the gas station. But then I don't have to go back for a long time. If you keep the cans in boxes and don't leave them in the car for days there won't be any problems. I also put them in plastic bags for additional protection. And yes, my wife is saying the entire time, "It's not safe to have gas in the car."

The last question is really the big one. I believe you just can't be safer than in a big F250. That's really one big reason I got it in the first place. But the Prius is supposed to be surprisingly safe. There have been some discussions on that topic. You can and should also get the Vehicle Stability Control, which is supposed to be a big help in certain situation.

The guy working on building my kitchen was sitting at a light minding his own business in his little pickup truck when he was rearended by a semi and killed. Would he have been better off in an F250? Maybe, or maybe not. But the odds of such a crash are relatively low, and if you try to maximize your safe driving that's about as good as you can do. It is always a trade-off, safety and massive amounts of steel for a bit less safety in those extreme accidents but also a great deal of savings. Of course as more and more people switch to the Prius there will be fewer and fewer Hummer/VW bug crashes.

If my wife was enthusiastic about the Prius I think it becomes obvious that is the right choice. Hasn't Stranger learned the two most important words to save his marriage? "Yes dear," or the alternative, "You're right."

·
Registered
736 Posts
former truck owners

Forgot about the gas for the lawn mower issue. For about three years, I have been using a rechargable Black and Decker mower. Prior to that, I used a cord type electric. No need to haul gas.
I have two Yorkies who love riding in the car. They are not shedders, however, so their hair isn't a problem.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Add up all the loss you would take by having to dump the truck and then figure the weekly distance you will be travelling and then the fuel savings will come into play. Then check out the difference you could still save on gas milage with another and much less expensive compact sedan. Then figure out how easy your move to California will be with the Truck and what you can do with one when you are there. Furniture, new house maintanence, ect: Then consider just how convenient the truck has been and why you bought it in the first place. The Prius has quite a bunch of toys in it but it also lacks a complete instrument package. The Nav Pak is pretty expensive compared to a similar $750.00 Garmin that talks to you and unless you are a salesman you have to ask yourself if the toy is worth it.
The Prius is a tech marvel but aside from the synergy drive system it is still just a mid size compact sedan.
My Prius is my primary mode of transportation but I've gone through five cars since 82 and I still have my 82 Chevy pick-up. Couldn't live comfortably without it. Last big trip with it was our "final" move from Texas in 98, back to New England for retirement, when I flew back for it and brought it north with my motorcycle tucked in the back.
And of course gas prices are still dropping everywhere but in California.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Statistically trucks are not actually safer than small cars. True, if you are in an accident with a pickup and a compact, there will be more damage to the compact. Pickups and SUVs, however, are involved in more rollovers and other single vehicle accidents. The number of passenger fatalities per million miles is not statistically different for the two classes of vehicles. On the other hand, the number of fatalities for non passengers (pedestrians or passengers in other vehicles) who are involved in pickup or SUV accidents is much higher. So the evidence is that by driving a bigger vehicle you don't actually make yourself any safer, but you put the rest of the population at more risk.

None of this takes into account the demographics of ownership. It may be that big vehicle drivers are more likely to take risks, which certainly wouldn't be true of anyone on this board.

The statistics are from a New Yorker article some time last year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just got my Prius this week and I still have my Ford F-150 extended cab, long bed truck with a cap.

I was using the truck as a commuter vehicle (35 miles each way) which was not really practical, but all that I had. The gas was costing me between $48 and $60 a week!! :cry:

I filled the Prius for the first time today and it was $18.25 :D

The truck will be semi-retired and used for picking up stuff or going camping. It is paid off and running very well at 8 years old. I had tried to sell it, but the only offer I got was less than 1/2 what I wanted for it - so I still have it - I can't see giving it away. :shock:

2005 Seaside #6
so far 49.9 mpg :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Traded an Explorer for the Prius. Kept a 1993 F150 extended cab PU. Plan on keeping the PU for hauling stuff from Home Depot or Lowes. It knows the route and big stuff fits. Use the Prius for all but hauling big, bulky, dirty, smelly stuff. Drive the truck less now but it sure is handy when I need it. Had to haul two dressers to our daughter in Colorado (we live in Washington State). Used the PU. It is a good, comfortable road vehicle but the cost of gas was sporty. Probably could have shipped the dressers but it was fun making the leisurely drive across country in the PU.

Had to pick up a big, heavy planer today. Let's go truck. Take a rest Prius.

Think I'll drive the wheels off. After all, it was fully paid off 9 yrs ago and is is damn good shape.

Only down side is the gas mileage. Been reading about he Chev Silverado "hybrid"! Maybe I'll make my F150 into a"manual" hybrid. I'll just turn the key off when I stop at a red light then start it again when the light turns green. Presto! a manual "hybrid" just like the Chevy! :wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
i say sell your truck, get the prius, and just buy a cheapo-beat-up truck for like $1500 out of the paper... keep it around for weekend tasks and stuff.

then you'll strike a perfect balance!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
You can check crash test results for vehicles:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ ... uction.php (no pickups listed)
http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/default.aspx (haven't tested the Prius yet.)

2005 Prius, no side air bags: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/3268.html
2004 Prius, RHD, with side air bags:
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ ... =3&id2=193
2003 Ford F150 Supercrew 4Dr: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2335.html
2003 Ford F150 Frontal crash results: http://www.hwysafety.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=7

If you don't need the towing/hauling capacity very often, have you considered either buying an old used pickup and only using it as needed? lower insurance for low miles and age, lower gasoline usage as you don't use it often. Or, renting a truck for the times that you need it?

(As for the dogs, make sure that they are properly restrained. You'd put your children in seat belts to prevent injury to them and to others (from becoming flying projectiles) in case of an accident, you should to the same for your pets. To keep the hair out, you might want to look into a portable kennel, or something like the Dog Bag: http://www.roofbox.co.uk/dog-bag/ )

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
The pick-up is being criticized and justly so for it's poor milage figures which were known by everyone who purchased one. However, they were still purchased for the convenience and everyday use. Most criticism comes from people who have never owned a relatively new one. Because of engineering the ride even in a 3/4 ton is equal to most standard cars. The visibility is excellent and the convenience isn't understandable unless you have owned one. After a year of ownership the truck is very hard to part with. Especially if you have a family and home of your own and are exchanging it for a midsize compact sedan
If it is your only set of "wheels" and your daily commute is over 50 miles, that's a horse of a different color.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Old, used pickup

MRV makes a good point on the old truck. I have one that was paid off about 20 years ago. Our family uses it to tow a big boat in the summer and an Airstream in the winter.

I was really tempted to get a new pickup when the rebates were hot this summer, but managed to resist the urge. Really glad I did. While our old Chevy 454 crew cab only gets about 5-7 mpg, you can buy a lot of gas for the cost of a new pickup.

I figure I am thousands of dollars ahead each year keeping our old truck, instead of buying a new one, just to save about 10 mpg.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We don't have a truck, but we do have a full-size van that we use. In addition to the hauling we do, my wife uses it as a family car when I have the Prius at work. But when my carpool partner drives, she uses the Prius for her errands. She also uses the Prius for her job since she works nights. So, the van doesn't get a ton of use, but is driven fairly regularly.

We hope to be able to afford a second Prius sometime that can be used as the family car, which will reduce the miles on the van even more. But (and this is my point) we'll never get rid of the van until it dies. Its just too convenient compared to trying to use the Prius. Hauling stuff, including the dogs (135 lb rott, and 70 lb Chow) isn't an option in the Prius. Picking up our kids' friends isn't an option in the Prius (especially since they're still at an age where they're in car seats, and have to be in the back seat). The van can hold 7 people comfortably when we need to drive for the schools' field trips, but our Prius can hold only our family. Our goal is to use the van as little as possible, but to have it available for when it is needed.

As for safety and comfort, I definitely would rather be in the van. But the gas mileage, and ease of parking the small Prius makes it the vehicle of choice whenever there is an option.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts