1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sticker tally (as of 06-Dec):

. apps received: 40,033
. apps approved: 36,481
. apps filed: 1,320 (incomplete but reserved, add to approved tally)

Ric

(sorry about the formatting - just playing around :))

·
Registered
54 Posts
Someone checked for me this morning and the number was 36,485, so that is consistent with your numbers.

Do you know if the number received counts every envelope delivered, or if there is some initial processing? Any idea on the number coming in each week? I heard a while back it was 700.

Also, heard inconsistent stories if they will pause and evaluate at 50,000 or continue on to 75,000. Any clarification?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello ric and jsf,

Who can I contact to find out the status of my stickers? I mailed my app on 11-7-05, the $8 check was cashed on 11-21-05, and I'm still waiting.

I have read on these Prius boards of people getting them as soon as two weeks from the day they mail there paperwork.

·
Registered
54 Posts
NewE,

The actual office that processes them does not take phone calls, and the office that takes calls for them cannot give you status of your specific application. From what I understand, the cashing of your check is a good sign, and you should receive your stickers very soon within a matter of days.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jsf:

daily submissions average about 200; low around 100/day and highs of 300+ (after the weekend).

CALRANS has the option to review after 50k stickers issued. At that time, they could stop the program or let it go to the legislated 75k limit. Note, Feds, who control the highway money, could influence CALTRANS decision if they don't like the way the program is working. Nobody knows for sure if anything will happen after the 50k mark. In my opinion, I doubt CALTRANS will act quickly - they're a State agency; it's not in their nature.

NewExplorer: From a previous thread here, it seems the turnaround for stickers is usually about 2 weeks. Given that your check was cached before the Thanksgiving break, it may take a little longer for your stickers to arrive.

Ric

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nee clarification

I heard elsewhere from this thread that you need to wait 3 weeks before you send in your application form. I did buy my vehicle as of last week and so far I didn't receive the number plates yet. Should I send in my application after I receive the number plates for the vehicle or should I wait for some more time. Also I am planning to apply for a custom plates and will that delay the process some more? Can some of you please clarify as when I should submit this HOV application.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks ric for your info.

As far as when to send in the HOV application:

I suggest you don't send the HOV application in yet. Here's the situation:

The dealer has several days (up to either 20 or 30, I think) to send the paperwork to DMV. They must validate information such as any lienholder before sending the paperwork in. Most large dealers have one or more DMV clerks who handle this. Suggest you contact the DMV clerk at the dealer to find out exactly when it was or will be mailed. Once it is mailed to a DMV office, that office can take 7 to 10 work days to enter into the system. If that office is backed up, they can send to another office or Sacramento to enter the information, and that increases the time.

In a parallel path, when you send the HOV application in, it goes to the Special Processing Unit. I have been told it takes roughly 2 weeks for them to start the processing of your application. If they get to your application and your VIN is not already in the system, they will reject your application and send it back to you. If the VIN is already in the system, they will process it even though your application did not have a plate number written in.

The safest thing for you to do is first verify exactly when the dealer sends your paperwork into DMV, wait a few days and call DMV daily to see if the VIN is in the system. You will lose a bit of time this way, but otherwise, you are taking a chance that the application will be rejected.

The only other consideration that may cause you to gamble a bit is anticipating when the DMV will reach the 50,000 mark when they will stop and evaluate the HOV usage and decide if they will continue to the 75,000 limit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Best time for posting DMV application

Thanks for your post.
But here is the question. I called my insurance company and when I gave this information for getting new policy for my Prius they some how identified by VIN number that this is a package 8 Prius etc., So they must have got this information from some other database??
Also I suppose the dealer from where you brought the car will send the paper work to DMV office already and once I receive the number plates from DMV office can I mail my HOV application at that time? This indicates that the dealer did submit the paper work right?
Also regarding fast filling up of 50000 application is that HOV sticker valid for life time in California or will that expire once a year and you have to keep on renewing it like a car registration. Please clarify.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know what database your insurance company was able to access. I don't believe the DMV database tracks vehicle options. Might be wrong but I don't think so. Best way to find if the VIN is in the database is to call the DMV toll free number Monday and give them the VIN and see if it shows up.

You can certainly mail the HOV application in when you receive the plates, and that would indicate the dealer mailed in the paperwork and the VIN was in the system. But there is no need to wait that long. As soon as DMV tells you they have the VIN, you can send in the application. There are others who have not even waited that long and received the stickers sooner, but they were taking a chance that the VIN would be in the system by the time the Special Processing Unit got to their HOV application.

The actual sticker does not expire, but the law granting its use is good only for a couple of years. It may be extended, but no one knows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Too anxious?

I purhased a new Prius last Monday and mailed in the HOV application on Tuesday. Any thoughts on what to do. Will the the DMV just toss the application if the VIN my is not in the system yet?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Too anxious?

scdebaun said:
I purhased a new Prius last Monday and mailed in the HOV application on Tuesday. Any thoughts on what to do. Will the the DMV just toss the application if the VIN my is not in the system yet?
I have been told they will return it to you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I bought my Prius, I called my insurance company and gave them the VIN and the woman told me the color and the option package. To say I was surprised was an understatement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
jsf said:
Best way to find if the VIN is in the database is to call the DMV toll free number Monday and give them the VIN and see if it shows up.
The actual sticker does not expire, but the law granting its use is good only for a couple of years. It may be extended, but no one knows.
Thanks JSF for the info that you know but can you tell us the phone 800 number for DMV office? How will you find out that information in the area that you are living?
Is there a URL to findout?

·
Registered
54 Posts
mchinta said:
jsf said:
Best way to find if the VIN is in the database is to call the DMV toll free number Monday and give them the VIN and see if it shows up.
Thanks JSF for the info that you know but can you tell us the phone 800 number for DMV office? How will you find out that information in the area that you are living?
Is there a URL to findout?
1-800-777-0133 Options 1-3-2-0

http://www.dmv.ca.gov

1 - 15 of 15 Posts