Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone from California tried to apply for the sticker that allows Prii in the HOV lane? I know the law doesn't take effect until January, but I went by the DMV today and they had no idea what I was talking about. Looking for some guidance.

Thanks
Mr. No-longer-a-wannabe

·
Registered
53 Posts
From the DMV website you can download the previously approved vehicles application form, but we are not on it yet. The Feds have to approve the bill, and the early tea leaves are that Ford Motor Company will be successful in blocking the implementation. Because their 'hybrid' based on license bought Toyota technology, will not qualify because the EPA rating for their 'hybrid' is only 32 MPG.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford showing their ignorance

Wouldn't that be just like Ford, putting money into blocking good legislation instead of putting it into developing better technology. No wonder we are losing our industrial base. Is this something that Prius owners should organize and contact our congressmen about? Thanks for the info and please keep me informed if you hear more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
California HOV lane

HeHe-and Ford thinks their Hybrid is doing well with 32mp!

The HOV lane stickers have not come out in part because the CHP needs to have some sort of sticker they can readily see to indicate your car is a hybrid. I suggest a gasoline pump with a slash across it!

And it is correct, Ford is going to fight the bill on HOV lanes. Since only Toyota and Honda get the 45 mpg required to consider a car a hybrid, Ford just refuses to match that. I find that interesting since Ford borrowed part of the technology to build their hybrid from Toyota.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually JD, Ford PURCHASED the license to build the Toyota Hybrid system. They are installing a larger engine on it to power the Escape and eventualy some of the other models in the Ford line.

And the stickers already exist for the HOV lanes. You'll see them on the back right quarters of the CNG and electric vehicles that qualify as freeway capable in California.

The Federal Government is the hangup at the moment. They paid for the HOV lanes and before California can amend the agreement with the Feds for the access to those lanes, they need approval from Big Daddy. A Big Daddy that listens to Big Detroit.

The California governator really was in a win-win with this very public aproval of the bill. If the Feds (after being VERY heavily lobbied by GM and Ford) overuled the bill (which the smart money is on) he can say Big Government is stifling business here in the Golden State. If the bill is approved, he can say he started and pushed it thru passage.

What he REALLY wants, is for everyone to forget his pledge to Hydrogenate his Hummers. Found out it can't be done. He was shown in the press last week (supposedly) filling a Hydrogen Hummer at LAX. The Hummer was an experimental hydrogen BURNING Hummer from GM. Only one of it's kind in the world. Not a Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, like he promised, but a burner. Dirtier than if he 'converted' one to CNG. The fueling station at LAX was a mockup. Will never be available to the public. Was put in for a photo op to promote it in Mayor Hahn's billion dollar revamping of LAX.

Don't forget to ask questions, boys and girls. Not everything you see in the photos is real.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Minor quibble - the Feds did not pay for our HoV lanes - we did in
Federal Taxes. The Federal government has never done anything for
us in the way of infrastructure, other than give us back a bit
of the taxes we pay.

Keep that in mind when you vote.

Robert

·
Registered
24 Posts
if Ford wanted 45+MPG, why an SUV first?

They could have bolted on the Hybrid System from Toyota onto some other model than the Escape if they really wanted to push gas mileage which they never have. Why not put the hybrid system on the Mustang or the Taurus -- or even create a new product line (although the over-priced T-Bird would have been pretty interesting!)? They had to spec it out on the Escape first to keep their lead over the SUV segment. It'll be interesting to see how well the Toyota Highlander and Lexus RS300 does in upcoming hybrid SUV segment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts