Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to replace her car. We came across a used Prius today at a dealership -- it's an 04 with 47K miles on it. I'm assuming that the original warranty is completely over, right?

Also, it seemed like the navigation system was tuned to the southern states (we're in New England). Is there a way to change that? Will we have to purchase some other DVD or something?

And finally -- is there a registration or charge to use the navigation system? Does it expire or so?

We're also definitely interested in y'all's thoughts/advice on getting a used prius like that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
"We came across a used Prius today at a dealership -- it's an 04 with 47K miles on it. I'm assuming that the original warranty is completely over, right? "
Right. The basic factory warranty was for 3 yrs/36K mi. The Primary drive battery has an 8 yr/100K mi warranty. Even longer in some states. It's an expensive item but has a good reputation for longevity.

"Also, it seemed like the navigation system was tuned to the southern states (we're in New England). Is there a way to change that? Will we have to purchase some other DVD or something?"
The Nav System is "area selectable" You can select the New England area with a touch of a button.

"And finally -- is there a registration or charge to use the navigation system? Does it expire or so?"
No charge. No registration. Look at The Nav Sys as just another accessory like the radio.. (An expensive radio)
** The Dealer may offer you an extended Toyota warranty. Like up to 100K mi. It should cost around $1K +/-. At the right price it would be worth considering.
** In 04 a new Prius with Nav Sys had an MSRP around $26.5 K. The Kelly BB indicates they are holding their used prices better than most cars. On the plus side; There have been few changes in 05/06 models so you're not buying outdated technology. What is the asking price..?

·
Registered
150 Posts
go over it with a fine-toothed comb....make sure it isn't a flood car ...my father up north has been seeing tons of them hit the market up there. If all is well, I'd say go for it and enjoy the ride! Welcome to Prius.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the quick responses! So, according to carfax, there are no problems -- it's at least one owner. This jibes with what the salesman said to us: that the car was bought from an auction from Toyota -- it was a car that had been leased to someone. The asking price is 19995.

<Edit date="200603051152">
I guess it's implied above, but the dealer is actually a used car dealer not a Toyota place. Is there still a way t o get an extended warranty of some sort online or so?
</Edit>

Thoughts/opinions/criticisms?

Thanks!

Seemant

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Since you mentioned NAV, I assume it is a 2004 package 9 which was the fully equipped model. If it is in good shape, and is a package 9, $20K is a good price.

If you want to update the NAV DVD, they charge $250 for it, but you don't have to do this. Hopefully the car at least has version 4.2 for the DVD, as there was a limited time recall on getting the NAV upgrade which expired end if December.

Besides the basic 3yr/36K warranty and the hybrid 8 year/100K warranty, you also have the drivetrain warranty which is good for 5 years/60K, and the emissions warranty for 8 years/80K miles (or close to that). The emissions warranty includes the engine control module (ECM), and the hybrid warranty only includes the battery ECU, the HV battery, the HV ECU, and the inverter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
GPS on '04

The 2004 Prius packages 8 and 9 had GPS. My '04 had package 8 which did have GPS, but skipped side airbags and some other items. If I remember correctly, package 9 was about $2000 more.

·
Registered
209 Posts
extended warrantee

When I bought my 04, I was told one has to purchase the extended warranty before the original 3 year/36K miles expires. I don't know if a dealer/used car extended warranty is available.

Susan
04 silver BC
34500 miles
Still trying to decide about the extended warranty!!!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Toyota dealers can sell a Toyota backed used car warranty. In some ways that warranty is better than the new car extended warranty, but might cost more.

See if there isn't already an extended warranty on the car that is transferrable.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
trinityneo303 said:
My wife and I are looking to replace her car. We came across a used Prius today at a dealership -- it's an 04 with 47K miles on it. I'm assuming that the original warranty is completely over, right?
Original bumper-to-bumper new car vehicle warranty expired at 3 years/36,000 miles, as is the Federal Emissions Defect warranty, and also the complementary Toyota Roadside Assistance which included a tire/wheel road hazard warranty. The Federal Emissions Performance warranty expired at 2 years/24,000 miles.

However, the following warranties are still in effect:

Basic:
Hybrid Vehicle System: 96 months / 100,000 miles
Powertrain: 60 months / 60,000 miles
Corrosion Perforation: 60 months / unlimited miles
Restraint Systems: 60 months / 60,000 miles

Emissions:
Federal, Performance Specific Components: 96 months / 80,000 miles
Federal, Defect Specific Components: 96 months / 80,000 miles
California (t), Performance: 180 months / 150,000 miles
California (t), Defect: 180 months, 150,000 miles
California (t), Hybrid Battery Pack: 120 months / 150,000 miles
(t) = Also applies to Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont vehicles equipped with a California Certified Emission Control System. Vehicles covered by this warranty are also covered by the Federal Emission Control Warranty.

and yes, the warranties transfer to the new owner.

trinityneo303 said:
Also, it seemed like the navigation system was tuned to the southern states (we're in New England). Is there a way to change that? Will we have to purchase some other DVD or something?

And finally -- is there a registration or charge to use the navigation system? Does it expire or so?
The navigation system is DVD-based, and has 10 US regions and 1 all-Canada region. You would just have to reset the search/default region, which is a few button presses.

There is no further charge or registration to you for the Navigation system, beyond the cost folded into your Prius purchase and your usual federal income taxes (to pay the military for putting up the GPS satelites in the first place). This isn't GM's On-Star system. So, no expiration, but after a while you might want to purchase an updated DVD with newer road information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.