Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a Prius this summer. In the past I've had good luck buying the current year's model when the next year's model comes out (usually in August) since everybody wants the new model. Do you think I will be able to get a better price on a 2005 after the 2006s come out? Or is this a pipe dream considering the demand for this car? I've heard Toyota has ramped up production so I'm hoping there will be a few 2005s sitting lonely and unwanted--I'm willing to travel to get a good deal. What do you think?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've already been offered "below MSRP" from one dealer on a 2005 #6.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The x-factor is oil prices, which closed at a new high Friday ($56/barrel). If gasoline hits $2.50 a gallon this summer, it could raise demand for the Prius back above supply. My instinct is that this will happen, though not as dramatically as last year.

Just playing devil's advocate. (Because I love this smiley: :twisted: )

·
Registered
319 Posts
The 2004 Prius was released in the United States on October 17, 2003. I don't know about the 2005 though.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My guesses are:

Prius will be even more popular with increase in gas prices AND now the "reluctant" buyers will have seen two years of very positive experience with the 04/05. More of them will come into the market.

(Consumer Reports survey said highest number of Prius owners would buy their car again & were completely satisied than ANY other vehicle...94% I believe.)

(Prius got highest reliability rating in CR 2005 auto issue.)

2006 will be virtually identical to 04/05, maybe some minor cosmetic differences

2006 will have price increase over 05

with 06 shipping, left over 05s will hold their MSRP price in most markets, as the 06 price increase will make them "cheaper" than the 06

an occassional 05 will be available less than MSRP depending on geography, dealer inventory costs, dealer volume, but this will be very spotty, not a national characteristic.

some high volume dealers in large metropolitan areas with a number of Toyota dealereships in close driving distance will offer token discounts off MSRP in $150-300 range for add on packages, but not on basic car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I don't think I'll wait for something that seems like a long shot. Besides, the sooner I get the car the sooner I can start driving it! (visions of a salsa red w/AM package in my head...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts