Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you be willing to SELL your Prius NOW--at current demand and gas prices--at the price you PAID for it? :idea:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
littleboy said:
Would you be willing to SELL your Prius NOW--at current demand and gas prices--at the price you PAID for it? :idea:
Absolutely..........................................NOT!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have to say, the thought entered my mind when I heard about the color change, rear camera, and adjustable seat options for the 2006 model. I even shyly suggested that I could sell my car to my husband, he'd sell his Saturn for cash (I haven't been impressed with the Saturn), and I'd get a spanking new, RED (hopefully a truer red) Prius. However, the Prius god may give me a lemon while my perfect Tideland goes to my husband. Still.........

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Only if I could get a 2006 at MSRP in less than a month. (I paid over MSRP over a year ago, when the waiting lists were 9 months, and the claimed waiting list was 12-18 months.)

If I could get what I paid (over MSRP) for a now-14 month old, almost-25,000 mile car, I'd happily sell it to the sucker.

(I would love to have the extra options for 2006 (leather, camera; and heck, adding the bluetooth and nav I did without,) and for what I paid over MSRP in July '04, I could probably afford them now at MSRP.)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Only if I could get a 2006 at MSRP in less than a month. (I paid over MSRP over a year ago, when the waiting lists were 9 months, and the claimed waiting list was 12-18 months.)

If I could get what I paid (over MSRP) for a now-14 month old, almost-25,000 mile car, I'd happily sell it to the sucker.

(I would love to have the extra options for 2006 (leather, camera; and heck, adding the bluetooth and nav I did without,) and for what I paid over MSRP in July '04, I could probably afford them now at MSRP.)

·
Registered
269 Posts
If I could basically sell mine to an individual (or dealer) for my outlay then order a new 06 loaded and only have to wait a couple of months...I would do it.

I will have to give the thing a bath and drive the H1 in the meantime.......ha

Ill have to post the sticker on the H1 that reads

"my other car is also an H1..
HYBRID1!"

Oh...does that get attention....I'm thinking of sticking one on the Prius that reads "My other car is an Hummer H1!".....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Buying/Selling Your Prius...."

I think you might write off a dealer. The outfit I bought mine from would hit me with a 3,000 dollar loss even on a trade in for a standard Highlander.
My car has 9,000 miles on it, is pristine and never out of the garage overnight.
Something they dreamed up like a "blue-book"
When was the LAST time a dealer didn't try to screw you--and everyone else--on trades for new vehicles?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've run a buy/sell program since 11/2003. My inbound 2006, due early 11/2005, will be the fifth Prius I've owned. Counting Oregon and Federal tax incentives, cheap TT&L here (~$65/yr.), and selling below market (but for more than paid), I've made enough net profit on the other four to pay cash for the 2006. It's a plan I laid out in detail two years ago on PriusChat. Search there for the nuts and bolts. A free Craigslist ad and the "old" Prius is down the road in an hour. I'm getting addicted to the new Prius smell. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
amped said:
I've run a buy/sell program since 11/2003. My inbound 2006, due early 11/2005, will be the fifth Prius I've owned. Counting Oregon and Federal tax incentives, cheap TT&L here (~$65/yr.), and selling below market (but for more than paid), I've made enough net profit on the other four to pay cash for the 2006. It's a plan I laid out in detail two years ago on PriusChat. Search there for the nuts and bolts. A free Craigslist ad and the "old" Prius is down the road in an hour. I'm getting addicted to the new Prius smell. :)
Um..... The Oregon credit must be repaid if you sell your Prius within 3 years of buying it. Meaning you can't be claiming the credit on those 5 Priuses; only on the one you keep.

And the federal deduction is similar. (At least with Oregon's credit, it's easy, you repay $1500. With the fed deduction, you have to recalculate your taxes without the deduction, and pay the difference.) In fact, it is a violation of tax law to take the federal deduction on a car that you only intended to resell. (PDF.)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I may have had the chance to do just that today. A man I've never met before came into the restaurant where I was eating lunch today and asked who owned the Prius in the parking lot.
My first thought was to run outside to comfort Phoebe if some dastardly pickup truck had dented her.

When I said it was mine he proceeded to come over and sit down across from me at the table and ask me if I'd like to sell her.
He said he makes it a policy never to buy a new car, but to buy one with a few thousand miles on it from a private party. And, get this... He offered me $1,000 MORE than I paid for her brand, spanking new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Um..... The Oregon credit must be repaid if you sell your Prius within 3 years of buying it. Meaning you can't be claiming the credit on those 5 Priuses; only on the one you keep.

And the federal deduction is similar. (At least with Oregon's credit, it's easy, you repay $1500. With the fed deduction, you have to recalculate your taxes without the deduction, and pay the difference.) In fact, it is a violation of tax law to take the federal deduction on a car that you only intended to resell. (PDF.)
That would be news to my tax attorney, an enrolled agent. He's advised that my holding period meets that envisioned by the "intent to sell" clause. Mind linking the chapter, title, verse you're referencing with those specific holding periods? Here's a few links to the law with no mention of those time frames. This isn't meant as legal advice, I'm not an attorney.

http://egov.oregon.gov/ENERGY/CONS/RES/ ... r-retc.pdf

http://egov.oregon.gov/ENERGY/CONS/RES/ ... etcbro.pdf

http://egov.oregon.gov/ENERGY/CONS/RES/ ... idForm.pdf

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The wording of the tax law for the federal deduction is unclear, but does tend to lean on intent. The 3 year requirement appears to be for businesses, and/or the car's qualification of being considered a hybrid. That latter clause is for vehicles that were converted/modified to be clean-fuel certified. A prius would be extremely difficult to re-modify and lose its certification, though it would be quite feasable for a Honda hybrid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts