Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of placing an order with a local dealer for the 2006 Prius. I have read some of the threads on this site. I have some questions for the group. Your response and feedback is appreciated

I have seen some mixed reviews about Prius's MPG at various speeds. Has anyone does an analysis of MPG at high speeds? I usually drive around 70-74 miles per hour. What would be the MPG at such speeds?

Is this car exempt from state emissions tests? I think I saw a comments about "50 State Emissions" exemption, but I am not sure what it means. Is PA included in any such exemption?

How does this car drive in wintery weather. I drive around 500 miles each week in Central PA. It gets pretty ugly in the winter on the highways. I guess snow tires should help. Any other feedback or suggestions?

Finally how is the torque and pickup on an uphill drive. Is it different when the car runs on the battery vs gas?

Thanks again!

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just returned from a driving trip in my 2004 prius. i drove from colorado to canada and back plus.. at highway speads of 80mph most of the time. my overall mpg was 47mpg for the complete trip. some
@ 53mpg and down to, one tank [fill up 8 gals.] at 42mpg. it is a great car, i have 21,500 on it with just oil changes. you will love it!!
:D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
When driving 70MPH, I read 45MPG, though that's with AC.

The car has excellent torque, especially at low speeds. The problem you may have is with the tires. Like a cross-country hiker, you have to have the right shoes for the job. The car's traction control is quite sensitive, and so if the tires slip even a little, the car will stop the wheels to protect itself. Some say it stops the car dead, but honestly, I believe they let go of the accelerator instead of just easing off a bit but being persistent.
Use appropriate tires for the driving conditions that prevent slip, and you will probably do better than SUVs, especially if you have VSC.

Emissions requirements vary from state to state and municipalities, but generally Hybrids are exempt. Check with your DMV to be sure. Those that do inspections often simply check for trouble codes only, as the cars continuously do their own inspections. You'll get an error simply for having the gas cap loose.

EDIT: the 50 state emmissions is not an exemption. It means that the car meets the requirements to be sold in states that have higher standards, such as CA and NY. Some models from different makes have a special version for those states. Usually they take a mileage hit. This higher standerd does not exempt inspection though. If anything, it makes it more of a requirement for inspection for those states to be sure they comply with the higher standards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DanMan32

how come yer so smart? >;

Good info!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
DanMan32

Good info!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
DanMan32

Good info!!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Mike_Kaim said:
Is this car exempt from state emissions tests? I think I saw a comments about "50 State Emissions" exemption, but I am not sure what it means. Is PA included in any such exemption?
Mike, when I bought my Prius in May 2004, the car didn't need an emissions sticker. When I went to get it inspected this year I was told it did need a sticker. I called PennDOT and they said the EPA changed the rules and that the Prius does have to have an emissions test and sticker. However, the emissions test is done differently. The Prius computer is connected to the test computer. There is no tailpipe check as with a conventional car. To me it is just a way to get more money from the public.

As for driving in the snow, I had no trouble last winter. You just have to remember that you don't have the ground clearance of an SUV.

I've been very pleased with the car and it's a joy to drive. It's great on long trips. I've gone to Florida and to Maine with it several times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any car purchased in PA as new does not need emission inspection for the first year on the road. There were some counties that did not require the Prius to get emission inspection and some counties that did require it. I think firepa63 is right in that all counties require it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts