Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes time to buy, I'll probably be looking to purchase in fairly short order. While I'd rather do business locally, I don't know that I'm going to be willing or able to wait 3 to 4 months for my local dealership to get a car I want in. Does anyone have any experience with any of the folks who post in the dealer section and if so, would you be willing to share them?

Thanks,
Christopher

G

·
I recently had experience from buying from a dealer who posts in the dealer section. Through internet posting I discovered on June 15,2005 that a dealer 85 mile away had exactly what I wanted in-stock on the showroom floor for immediate delivery. Through e-mail and telephone calls with Mike Guenette, internet sales consultant, we worked out a negotiated
price and the next day I drove and took delivery of the new vehicle. Everything at this dealership exceeded my expectations: all the paperwork was complete for my signature and, after a brief introduction to the service department, sales manager, and general manager, I was happily on my way home. This was the most pleasant automotive buying experience I have had in 43 years of buying cars. No dealer gimmicks;no deceptive, last-minute surprises; no pressure to buy "vehicle protection packages; not "bait-and-switch". Mike Guenette ([email protected]) 1.800.688.8570 from Riverside Auto Mall made buying a new vehicle simply enjoyable: "Oh....what a feeling!" Another purchaser of Prius in-stock arranged a "fly-n-drive" package with Mike by telephone and email and will be picking up his new Prius at the Marquette, Michigan airport....courtesy of Mike!! What more can you ask for in a saleman and dealership? He also has additional Prius' in-stock NOW for immediate delivery!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hyperion said:
dzitlow, you failed to mention the magic word. ...MSRP?... or lower??
I haven't found a car yet that I'm willing to pay over MSRP for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Christopher said:
When it comes time to buy, I'll probably be looking to purchase in fairly short order. While I'd rather do business locally, I don't know that I'm going to be willing or able to wait 3 to 4 months for my local dealership to get a car I want in. Does anyone have any experience with any of the folks who post in the dealer section and if so, would you be willing to share them?

Thanks,
Christopher
Brought a new 05 Salsa Red Pearl #6 home yesterday. While the dealer actually did have one on the lot a month ago, I opted for an order so that I would get the options I wanted. He said that it would take "about a month." I was surprised at the relative shortness.

However, that was the case. He called about a week after I ordered and said that our vehicle was on "Ship #626" and delivery was expected at the Jacksonville Fla port on June 23 with about 3 days to reach the dealership in SC. The vehicle was delivered to him June 24 at about 5:00 pm. When he called, they had already started the Post Delvery checks. We picked it up yesterday morning.

Color us satisfied. I do not know where you are located, but we got ours from ToyotaCenter (http://www.toyotacenter.com) in Columbia SC. The salesman, Ted King, humored me a lot. I recommend them.

Bob :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in SE Michigan. I don't mind making a drive isn't out of the question, but it'd pretty much be limited to a weekend kind of thing. I did a weekend drive to Maryland to purchase my Turbo Z about 5 years ago.

G

·
hyperion said:
Just a suggestion but I believe it's a good idea to purchase any car locally at a dealership with a good reputation. Personally I would choose ownership of an H2 over a Prius if my only choice was between the dealer with a good rep and the one charging $5,000 over list cause "that's what the market will bear"
Good Points! But in a sparely populated area like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan there aren't many "local dealers" to select from and their reputations (word-of-mouth) are varied. It is fortunate to have a nearby dealer who's goal is customer satisfaction and that doesn't engage in deception, "bait-and-switch", compulsory "vehicle protection-appearance" packages the pick the pockets of buyers, and other misleading practices.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hyperion said:
Just a suggestion but I believe it's a good idea to purchase any car locally at a dealership with a good reputation. Personally I would choose ownership of an H2 over a Prius if my only choice was between the dealer with a good rep and the one charging $5,000 over list cause "that's what the market will bear"
I feel pretty much the same way about choice of a vehicle. I simply won't buy from a dealer who gouges the consumer in the interest of short term profits.

The dealers in the area I've talked to have told me it will be up to 4 months to get the car. I haven't heard of any mark up. I would like to purchase locally. But once I actually decide to purchase the car, I'm going to want to do then. Not in 3 or 4 months. I dont' really want to wait a month, either.

I could have put a deposit down and go a place in line, but two things have prevented that. One is lack of funds. I've been unemployed for the last 2 years while I have been in school and doing clinical work so tying up my limited money for a new car was not an option. The second, is, well, lack of funds. I didn't want a car I ordered to come in early before I had a job, and have no way to get financed or get payments. In the last month I have graduated and completed my clinical work. I start my new job tomorrow so if I can bear to part with my current car a new car is in my near future.

The car I drove to Maryland to get was a used car and bought directly from the owner. Dealers were unwilling to try to locate one for me, and I can't say that I blame them. I had spent a lot of time looking for that specific car (make, model, color, options) and that's where it was. A buddy and I took a weekend, drove down, had the car inspected and drove back that night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts