Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a Prius and have shopped around all of the Toyota dealerships in Kansas City. The problem is no one is willing to make any deal and they all seem to say the same thing when I ask, "Why should I give you my money instead of XYZ dealership?" Is there anything else I should be saying to make this a little more reasonable from one or the other, or am I just SOL?

Kix

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you're looking for less than MSRP, you may be SOL... there are a few reports of folks accomplishing this, but I felt happy to pay MSRP and get a reasonable concession on my trade-in. However, I wouldn't pay MORE than MSRP either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I find it ever so annoying that no one basically wants my business. I am ready to drop $25K for a car and no one can give me a reason why they should get my $25K. One more reason to hate buying a car. :(

Kix

·
Registered
919 Posts
I paid MSRP. My salesman bragged that nearby dealerships charged over MSRP. I had to really negotiate on my trade in though I still wasn't happy with that part of it. Even finance charges for the Prius were higher than other Toyota models. "It's supply and demand," he admitted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
here is what I did after bombing this messageboard with questions.
you can benefit from my findings!
I'm in the same situation..

Every car dealership i went to tried to upsell me to 10k more than MSRP. Didn't like that.

I came to several conclusions:
I have the money
I don't like haggling.

Your "internet departments" of the Toyota dealerships are going to give you less stress and pain than just walking in. They offered me 300 less than MSRP and waived some other charges (cheaper for leather option)..

Know your stuff. Make them an order-taker rather than a sales-person.

The downside? You will most likely have to wait.... for several months even.

it's not likely that you'll find exactly what you want on any lot...

They're being difficult because A)they're car salesmen and B)this car is the most in-demand vehicle at the moment. They think the cards are on their table...

at the end of the day, YOU have the money. The manufacturer says it should be 25k. if they want to bargain DOWN from that, that's fine. but don't pay above it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts