Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My closest dealer (and all others in So. NJ) had a 12-18 month waiting list a year ago. I refused to put a $500 deposit to wait that long. (This was a year ago. I followed the Pruis for a long time and just missed the gas price explosion before making my decision - it had little to do with gas prices, but I always seem to have that kind of bad luck.) Anyway, I had a great experience with a Morgantown dealership here and have my Prius.

As far as I know, all dealership service departments make the same profit on service. In another month I will need the 5,000 service. Why would a dealership treat a non-purchasing buyer differently from one who buys thhis car thereere car from them? I dread looking for service, though I would have bought the car anyway (and did).

Many years ago I heard my Maxda dealer service manager (I bought my car there) treat a service customer horriblely- he said out loud that the customer had not purchased from them - because he had not purchased his car there (this was the major NJ dealer in my area). I never considered a Mazda again because of this. Serveal years ago my sister purchased an A4 out of state and had horrible treatment from the local dealer's service department, too.

So, in dread anticipation, is there anything to say or do that would make the servicing dealership be nice so I don't have to travel a far distance for service (which still may not be nice)?

I'm posting here because I think many of us are going distances to find out Prius.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Before I had the Prius, I had a Toyota Celica. I live in PA, but bought it new from a dealer in New Jersey. That was the last time I was at that dealership, from then on I went to 1 or 2 dealerships in PA. And I never once had a problem, they treated me OK.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Do nothing. Don't mention where you bought it. He gets paid the same no matter where you bought it, and service is often a separate profit center from sales anyway. All 50 states must repair your car. If one doesn't, Toyota will want to know. You should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The service people have no way of knowing where you bought your car, unless you tell them. Like they'd care... It's nothing to worry about. Sales and service are two different things. One dealer may have wonderful sales, but horrible service, and vice-versa. Find a good salesperson, then find a good service location; they don't have to be the same place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, hope you're correct. I'd like to have the service at the dealership that is 5 miles away, but it is also where I was treated less than enthusiastically when I said I wanted a Prius, then frostily when I wouldn't put $500 down for a 12-18 month wait.

I heard the Mazda service manager yelling at the customer about how he was lucky to get any service from them since he didn't buy his car there... and several comments were made to my sister (not yelling) along the same lines at the Audi service. That's why I was wondering if/how ervice and sales was related, because service gets paid no matter what as far as I know (which isn't much).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If you mean the mazda place in Maple Shade, they're notorious for being nasty. Friend loved her mazda but would not buy another because of them.

As for dealer not knowing where you bought your car, they'll know if the selling dealer put its name on the car somewhere! ;) Rumor has it, tho never confirmed, that some of the service guys can read.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That doesn't make any sense...

I've moved cross state and cross country before. So have many others. How are they supposed to know where you lived when you bought the car? And then expect you to go back to the place hundreds or even thousands of miles away to get a stupid oil change? That's insane.

It shouldn't have any effect on your quality of service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sanny, that's the one. Used to be (maybe still is so) that the next nearest dealer for service in NJ was in Ocean County, 1 1/2 - 2 hours away. Or spend an hour getting to a PA dealership for service.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I waited 6 months plus at the dealership in the R town, and got tired of waiting. Got my deposit back and bought on line (through this forum) at a dealer in Idaho, had exactly what I wanted delivered to my door within a week. I've been joyful ever since.

I don't use a dealer for service. Conte's on Brace Rd. in Cherry Hill is certified to work on both the hatchback and notchback Prius. Of course, as folks here were quick to say, a certification isn't necessary to change oil and rotate tires. But it's nice to know they seem to know what they're doing. I used to have my Camry serviced there too.

Yes, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Jean said:
Or spend an hour getting to a PA dealership for service.
The Mazda in Phila Automall isn't far, and they were good people. Dad had a 929 in 1993, and he got it there.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
We in Toyota business, ( Sales and Service ) We do not care where
customer has purchased their cars !

If routine maintanance customers has to pay and each Dealer service
department should welcome extra service income !

Also all "warrantee work" is paid from Toyota USA to the dealer whom
performed the warrantee claim repair job no matter where vehicle has
been seviced and sent in for warrantee claim.

Does not matter where you buy your vehicle and you can service the vehicle at any Toyota service facility throughout the continantal USA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts