Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sandynseattle said:
Can anyone explain, clearly in layman's terms, just what 50wh Regenerated means?
No, not just anyone can explain it that way.

1 wh = 1 watt hour ... 1 watt of electricity consumed for a period of 1 hour. When you pay your electric bill you are paying for some quantity of KWH or killowat-hours ... 1000 watts of electricity consumed for a period of 1 hour.

For instance, since I have one in front of me... last month we used a total of 586 kwh... So we were using about 20 kwh per day.... A bit less than 1 kwh per hour. ...

So, on average 50 wh is the amount of electricity required to run my home for 1/50th of an hour or about 1.1 minutes.

Less time than it took to write this message :)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok well I guess it's way more complicated than I'd imagined but I knew it was a good thing to have yellow stars but wasn't really sure how to create them (what driving pattern/conditions etc) and I suppose I still really know that.

thanks all for your feedack

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sandynseattle said:
Ok well I guess it's way more complicated than I'd imagined but I knew it was a good thing to have yellow stars but wasn't really sure how to create them (what driving pattern/conditions etc) and I suppose I still really know that.

thanks all for your feedack
Well, it's not quite that simple either. Depending on driving conditions, the yellow stars are often good. But changing your driving pattern to create more yellow stars is almost always bad (that is, it will generally result in lower mileage than your previous behavior).

Driving smoothly and planning far ahead to reduce the amount of braking you do (and avoiding B mode) will generally improve your mileage, but you won't get many yellow stars that way.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) 50wh = The energy necessary to power a 50 watt light bulb for one hour. A measure of the energy generated by your Prius when you are coasting or coming to a stop. In some measure, this indicates that you are helping "re-charge" your Traction Battery (the BIG one) and thus to a degree reducing the time your ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) will need to run.

Just another view of the "little green cars" on your graph.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yellow stars?

I only see them when I bang my head on the overhead cabinet doors in the kitchen which *someone* has left open. Well, overhead might be a misnomer. AT-head is more descriptive.

So where do YOU see these yellow stars?

Susan

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Susan5s said:
Yellow stars?

I only see them when I bang my head on the overhead cabinet doors in the kitchen which *someone* has left open. Well, overhead might be a misnomer. AT-head is more descriptive.

So where do YOU see these yellow stars?

Susan
Take a look at the Consumption Screen under the Multi-Display Screen heading for the Prius Info sheets:
http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-infosheet_classic.htm
http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-infosheet.htm

The regeneration icons are yellow diamonds/star icons on the Classic Prius, and are car/leaf shaped icons on the 2004+ Prius (color seems to depend on your display color choice).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
More to the point, one green car is roughly 1/3 the energy needed to accelerate a Prius from zero to 60 MPH. For best overall fuel economy you need to avoid the losses incurred during regeneration, by coasting (no arrows into or out of the wheels on the display) as much as possible.

·
Registered
669 Posts
A simple answer is that it is energy recaptured to charge the battery. The rest is details. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts