Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the end of this thread, a little light went on in my head:

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=5378

Usually, I average 47-48 MPG (actual, not MFD numbers). This is consistent over the last 6 months. I am somewhat of an MPG junkie, so I am confident in these figures. However, I don't scrimp on the AC and go about 70 MPH on the freeway. I also am obsessive about keeping the tires inflated at 42/40.

On this last tank, on the exact same daily commute, I am at 51 MPG and the last bar has just started blinking. The ONLY thing I'm different on this tank is I have left the fan on the entire time, usually on it's lowest setting. If it gets too hot, I will manually turn on the AC.

Based upon the info presented in the above thread, I believe that the keeping the fan on creates a constant air flow through the battery compartment and in doing so, allows the battery to run more efficiently.

I have close to 12,000 miles on the car now, and while I understand the MPG is expected to increase as the car "breaks-in", I wouldn't expect an overnight increase (~7-8%) like this. I will continue to monitor the situation, but was wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or experiences with this.

DGStan

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DanMan32 said:
Your differences in MPG sounds typical for AC use.
Except I'm still using the A/C as needed. It's been hot around here.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Possible additional variables:
- air temperature
- relative humidity
- traffic
- driving style
- gasoline

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You said the only thing different was that you had the fan on low, and turning on AC as needed. That is a reduction on AC demand than before.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DanMan32 said:
You said the only thing different was that you had the fan on low, and turning on AC as needed. That is a reduction on AC demand than before.
Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm not foregoing A/C use. Having the fan on isn't replacing the A/C. I have the fan on all the time whether I need it or not. If it's hot outside, I turn on the A/C.

Before:
No fan
Occasional A/C use (w/fan)

Now:
Fan on low
Occasional A/C use (w/fan)

It has, however, been more humid here (Orange County). Traffic and driving style has been the same. I get my gas exclusively at Costco. I don't know how much their gas quality varies.

I'm still thinking that increased airflow would lower the temp in and around the batteries. Would this result in improved battery performance?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Forget about it again...

Like I said to another question like yours:

"My friend you will never know your Prius's MPG. You will be guessing or expeculating about it.
The Prius designers acomodated all the readers-indicators in such a way of variables that is impossible to know an accurate number of MPG.
The Prius's MPG up today is secret mistery that everybody knows and resists to accept in the real world of the streets.
Please, do yourself a favor and forget about it.
Instead, measure the driving time that get per tank and you will amazing results that you can compare against the Prius itself in different readings and against other normal cars.
The famous bladder is the key of the inconsistencies for all the excuses as per a lot of posts in this forum. Do not loose your time finding out."

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Guess I was thrown off on the comment "I don't skimp on the AC use". If it is off, you're skimping. Nothing wrong with that, mind you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts