Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put over 3000 miles on our Salsa Red package 5. Everything went great! Plenty of power for passing, great cruising at 75, around 45 mpg overall. I know lots of people report much better milage, but this ain't too shabby! My only complaint is the tremendous amount of bug splatter on the front. I'm seriously considering a front bra. Any suggestions as to brand and price? My dealer wants $185 for one. I don't really want to spend that much, but I do want quality and fit.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope you arent planning on one of those uggggly black bras on that spiffy salsa! We got the invisible one. IMHO it works great and looks good. Had the guy do the top of the back bumper with the same material. The one from Toyota had that Prius logo stamped on it which I didnt like. I think you would be happier with it, though the cost is a bit more. Here in Denver it was 299 for 18" on the hood and back of both mirrors.

·
Registered
344 Posts
the toyota brand fits after a while. at first toe top part is kinda loose. takes awhile to "break in" and match the contour of the car.

however i highly recommend it, i put one on my 05 black 2 weeks after i got it.

dealer prices are high, i admit. we got it at 20% off because my husband works there. we still paid in the 110-120 range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got a Toyota front end protector from Coastal Tech last November and I am very happy with it. It seems that about 90 percent of the bugs hit the car at the areas protected by the bra. Most of the rest are on the side mirrors. The bugs that hit the bra clean up very easily.

The bra is a challange to put on the first time. The key to installing the vertical tabs on the headlight assembly sides is to insert it at the bottom and pull it up. The rest is easy. After a half-dozen removals and reinstalls I can now do it easily in about ten minutes.

Roger

·
Registered
25 Posts
Invisible Bra for 2005 Prius

markincolorado said:
I hope you arent planning on one of those uggggly black bras on that spiffy salsa! We got the invisible one. IMHO it works great and looks good. Had the guy do the top of the back bumper with the same material. The one from Toyota had that Prius logo stamped on it which I didnt like. I think you would be happier with it, though the cost is a bit more. Here in Denver it was 299 for 18" on the hood and back of both mirrors.
Where can I get info (brand, model #, etc) so that I can try to locate one in Portland, Oregon

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Well, it's an aftermarket product. Most of the various installers use a 3M clear adhesive plastic film, specifically cut for the Prius.

Try calling your dealer, and see what area installers they offer or can recommend. Try also calling various auto detailing shops (like where you'd get window tinting done).

You can get a list from 3M, but the URL may not work... http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!ut/ ... 00vZW5fVVM!
Or try: http://www.3M.com/us , go to "Products and Services", then the "Automotive" link under "Transportation Industry", then "Paint Protection Film", then "For the Consumer"
(There you can get product information, and links to find a local installer)

There are also some companies on the web:
http://www.clearbra.net/ (warning - flash-only site)
http://www.cleartechpro.com/
http://www.xpel.com/
http://www.invinca-shield.com/
http://www.ultratuffshield.com/
among many others...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here is a dilema you may want to consider. A car finish might possibly change color slightly as it is exposed to the elements. By using a bra, you "protect" a small portion of a horizontal surface from the elements, and might end up over time with faded & non-faded sections.

Worth considering, if it might not be better to put up with the bugs, washing & waxing them off more often. Of course, everyone has to make up their own mind.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have one not just for bugs, but for the dozens of little rocks that chip the hood. Most of them hit the bra, or are deflected up by the little lip at the rear edge. I must have dabbed 20 hits in four months before getting the bra. Only one in the last two months with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Read my post on Priuschat- I've had a bra on my old Corolla pretty much continuously for 14 years and there's no noticable paint fade (there is a definite difference in finish- the protected portion is smooth and shiny, but the exposed portion has swirls and scratches, but the paint color is identical to my eyes.. My previous Tercel did show yellowing *under the bra*, but I attribute that to the cheap Ziebart paint job (it was a repaired salvage vehicle, but it was certified roadworthy, it was cheap, and it was my very first car (not counting the parent's car))..

Anyways, to me, even the possibility of paint fade was totally unimportant compared to the consequences of paint damage due to flying rocks and debris.. Besides, even if the paint does fade, who really cares? Leave the bra on and nobody can tell..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
KTPhil said:
I have one not just for bugs, but for the dozens of little rocks that chip the hood. Most of them hit the bra, or are deflected up by the little lip at the rear edge. I must have dabbed 20 hits in four months before getting the bra. Only one in the last two months with it.
I can agree with that. The rock chips are definitely a more convincing reason for a bra.

·
Registered
105 Posts
tomandbecky said:
My only complaint is the tremendous amount of bug splatter on the front. I'm seriously considering a front bra.

My advice - don't buy one. A bra is *way* uglier than some bug splatter.

Plus it will discolor the paint. The rest of the car will fade, but underneath the bra the paint will stay dark, and you're left with a strange-looking paint job.

troy

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I don't appreciate the whole concept of bras, and seat covers. It seems you are trying to maintain the nice appearance of the new car by hiding it. If you are maintaining a car to show, this makes sense, but if you are just trying to enjoy the prisitine appearance of your new car, don't cover it up!
Keep in mind that this comes from a guy who's car looks like a bachelor's apartment on the inside.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
$250 for seat covers beats $2000 for complete recovering of the interior any day. I have kids, and kids spill. In six months the car would look six years old if I didn't have seat covers that can be cleaned or replaced. Those from GT fit so well and match closely--most people don't even know they are seat covers and not the original material, even after they've ridden in the car.

I don't drive a show car, but I don't like a pitted hood, either. I could care less about bug splats, it's the pitting. The bra keeps it smooth. I didn't have one for the first few months, and when I went to polish it, it was "the pits." Very few new pits since putting the bra on. Paint fade with a bra on seems to be a thing of the past, judging from posts here.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
For me...No bra, no seat covers, no mpg junkie, no extreme measures, just enjoying a great car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm seriously considering getting a bra because I've had a few rock pits.

For those of you who have a leather bra on your Prius, what do you need to do to wash the car?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The leather bra is only available in certain parts of San Francisco. It isn't available in the rest of the country.

You might try stormyleather.com for online ordering.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i wash the car weekly, and in the spring i pull off the hood cover and clean underneath about once a month. lately it's been pretty dry so nothing's getting underneath.

the bottom half is very snug and when i've removed it i only found a little bit of dust.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts