Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am set to pick up my new/first Prius in the next week. However, I have a 220 mile road trip planned this week also, and I am wondering if I should pick it up after the trip. Is there a recommended break-in period for a new Prius engine, during which they advise, for example, not to drive at a sustained highway speed for the first 500 or so miles:?:

I note that engine break-in recommendations seem to vary a lot from car to car (and from expert to expert).

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Dan has abbreveated the "break-in-period" described in the owners manual.
Quote:
Drive gently, and avoid high speeds.
Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 600 miles can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle.
+Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.
+Avoid racing the hybrid engine.
+Try to avoid hard stops during the first 200 miles.
.Most of this easily done after purchase with normal days driving but personally I would not use the car for an immediate trip on the interstate where you will find yourself trying to keep up with traffic travelling 70 mph plus.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps vary your speed some.
When they say excessive speed, I believe they mean EXCESSIVE SPEED!
70 should be fine, though slower might be better. Even so, no real harm should occur.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.