Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the theft kind, the first miles kind!

I have scoured Prius boards in anticipation of our new Prius later this week. Surprised to find nothing on a break in period.

The dealer salesperson (there 6 months) said to "Dont use the cruise control more than 15 minutes at a time for the first month"

True?
Other suggestions for the initiation?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've never heard the cruise control story...Of course, in my experience (YMMV), cruise is quite aggressive and leads to lower mileage.

The typical break-in is about 10,000 miles. You shouldn't floor the Prius within the first 1,000 and should also avoid the 'slam the breaks' stops.

I've only The Rhino for two months, so I may have missed something...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
KY_Prius said:
Not the theft kind, the first miles kind!

I have scoured Prius boards in anticipation of our new Prius later this week. Surprised to find nothing on a break in period.

The dealer salesperson (there 6 months) said to "Dont use the cruise control more than 15 minutes at a time for the first month"

True?
Other suggestions for the initiation?

Many thanks!
The CC thing shows lack of understanding of how the Prius works...ignore him.

The ICE on the Prius will constantly adjust the RPMs based on the driving conditions, SOC of the battery etc.

Other than that, just drive the car normally. If you have to, slam on the brakes...I'm sure that's not something you do normally, but if your choice is slam or crash...slam!

I probably wouldn't floor the accelrator for a sustained time, either, but your ICE RPMs will get quite high and they're computer limited to 5000RPM (some tell me if that number's not exactly right...might be 6000, but 5 sticks in my head) so you can't over rev it really, and if you have to go up a steep hill you'll approach that RPM speed anyway.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
according to the owner's manual

no cruise control for the first 300km
avoid cruising at a single speed (fast or slow) for the first 1,600km
avoid jackrabbit starts and hard braking for the first 1,600km
avoid towing for the first... I can't remember how long.

The only thing that's missing that's on other Toyotas is the "avoid going above 88km/h" I assume because the Prius has a CVT, it'll be revving up anyway so speed won't matter as much.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"I have scoured Prius boards in anticipation of our new Prius later this week. Surprised to find nothing on a break in period.

Quoting from the 04 Prius manual:
"Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in period."
"For the first 1000 miles:"
1. "Avoid full throttle acceleration."
2. "Avoid racing the hybrid engine."
"Avoid hard stops for the first 200 miles."

OTOH: I know racing people who believe, "Break it in fast and it'll be fast."
With a CV transmission the engine wanders lightly around it's computer-set rpm range at will and is not always directly responsive to your throttle foot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.