Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a break-in period for a new Prius? Is there a maximum speed a new Prius should be driven for a given period of time? Should the speed being driven vary while breaking the engine in? I am picking a new Prius up within the week and the lady I bought if from said she didn't know of any break-in period. Hopefully, this is the case as I'm going to have to drive the vehicle over 500 miles to get it home.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, there is break-in period. I don't have the manual in front of me, but it says don't go over 62 mph (100 kph) for the first 600 miles. Don't brake hard for the first 200 miles.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't remember the mention of the 62 mph limit, but my owner's manual says don't brake hard (unless it's an emergency) during the first 300 miles, and don't accelerate hard during the first 600 miles. Since the engine speed is not locked to the car speed, varying the speed may not be such an issue, but it can't hurt to vary the speed a bit if you need to take it on a long road trip during the first 600 miles.

My advice: read the owner's manual, and follow it. It's pretty simple though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts