Toyota Prius Forum banner

Outside of an oil change, Have you done any maintenance on your 04 Prius?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Millennium 04 Package 9 last week. This is my first new car. (I am 32).I really love this car and think it is a technical marvel. According to the manual It does not appear that there is any special break in maintenance until the first 5,000 mile oil change and the caution to not accelerate quickly, break quickly or reach very high speeds for about the first 600 miles.

Would an oil change on a new car be beneficial before the first 5,000 miles to remove any break in wear from the engine? Is there anything else that one should pay attention to during a break in period that would help get the most life out of a new vehicle. Thanks for any Input.

·
Registered
884 Posts
First Oil Change

I had my first oil change at 3,000 miles and had to pay out of pocket. The dealer said that it wasn't necessary, but I'm from the old school that believes that debris from engine break-in should be flushed out ASAP. It just doesn't make sense to leave all of those metal shavings (and other debris that gets scraped or ground off) in the crankcase for any longer than necessary. $24.95 is cheap insurance towards long engine life, and it's a whole lot less than an early overhaul.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The poll needs some help. The regular maintenance is an oil/filter change AND a tire rotation. So, if someone is following the Prius Passport to Performance scheduled maintenance guide ( http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/sm ... &year=2004 ) than of course they've done maintenance than just an oil change...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Beside follow the regular every 5000 miles services, I will switch to synthetic engine oil and not to floor the gas pedal before 10000 miles.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Realistically, there is no such thing as break-in debris. As quickly as it shaves off, it gets caught by the filter. It barely has anytime to do anything.

The oil itself does breakdown rather quickly though. That doesn't cause any harm either, but the nasty thickness isn't helpful either.

I changed mine at 2,000 mile and felt it was well worth it. Waiting until 3,000 is fine too. I personally wouldn't go further than that though. But then again, my location encourages the first change sooner anyway. It was the dead of winter for me. So getting rid of the thick stuff and switching to synthetic was a good move.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have been told with modern manufacturing techniques this type of early oil change is no longer necessary, as it once was. My brother in law a Ford engineer (though is in management now) supports this view.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It's my understanding that because the Prius engine is smaller (only 76 horsepower), and because it only has an approximate 500rpm range between "idle" and "max", it should be allowed to run the full 5,000 miles to the first oil change.

Remember, it's still an ICE, and as such, it has piston rings. These are supposed to keep the motor oil from entering the combustion chamber and being burned off..a true waste of resources that will contribute at least a little bit to emissions. These rings need to "seat" in order to make a proper seal, and that's what the first several thousand miles will allow them to do. Putting a synthetic in too soon can actually cause some oil loss/burning due to improper/incomplete piston ring seating.

So go ahead and drive your car the 5,000 miles or so until its first official maintenance period. As John says, the oil filter will trap any supposed "metal shavings" (which I doubt there will be in any significant amount). Then change out the oil filter and, if you wish, put either Amsoil or Mobile-1 in it.

And as Michelle says, you're also due to have the tires rotated at that 5,000 miles. This is all in your service guide "Passport to Performance". It's easier to just consult that, and at 5,000 mile landmarks, it's easy to remember, too...otherwise, you'll be making twice the trips to your dealer/service department.

I don't know about you, but I dislike car dealers. The less I have to go to them, the less chance there will be that something will go wrong, thereby costing me money, time, trouble, and aggravation. By going there as little as possible (while yet doing my duty to keep my car well-serviced), I believe I will actually live longer and happier.

So I plan to stick to the 5,000 mile intervals.

It won't hurt it, and may in fact help with longevity. Of both of us!

·
Registered
515 Posts
By the way, the change at the 2,000-3,000 mile range is just a one-time event.

You'll want to get on the standard 5,000 mile (odometer reading) schedule afterward. So the next would be at 10,000... then 15,000... then 20,000... etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks For the Input and clarification.

This is a Great Forum... And john1701a
you are amazing dude!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts