Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GPS related question:

My mother in law got a '06 Prius, and I noticed that there seems to be little red 'bread crumbs' on the paths she has been. What is that? And is it anywhere to be found on a '05 Prius/'07 Camry Hybrid?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DanMan32 said:
It is only on the 2006. I believe someone mentioned that it is marking travel that it is memorizing. I think there's a setting where it can learn about new roads?
Really? I need to read her manual, is what I need to do. She is 57 and admits to being a bit behind when it comes to 'tech' cars like the Prius.

But she did buy one, and that is a start, right?

So, DAN, any other things I should look out for between the '05 Prius I have, and her '06?

(you is da man who knows all...you know, I have no idea why you know so much about these cars, but I am glad you do...)

:D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Honestly, I only know the differences in the 2006 electronics that others have posted. I've seen it once in person at our meet in march I think it was, but it was a brief look. I never got around to purchasing time and download any technical info for the 2006.

I tried to look for the post regarding the 'bread crumbs'. Come to think of it, I think that was the other poster's description.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The "bread crumb" thing has been used for several years by Garmin GPS' as well. I have an old GPS III+ that does that. You can also set the length of the trail. It's good for when you travel gravel roads such as forestry roads. Lets you make sure you take the right turns when returning to the highway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
DanMan32 said:
David Beale said:
Lets you make sure you take the right turns when returning to the highway.
Of course that assumes you drove into the forestry making the left turns. :wink:
In my 2006, I have found three major differences in the Multi-Function Display:

1. Beep: There is a setting in where you can turn the beep OFF! (Hurray!!!) Press INFO, lower right button, once. "Beep" is a toggle you can press to turn it ON then OFF, etc.

2. Color: You can choose between only Green and Orange, now. The beautiful Blue, the default in the 2005s, is no longer available, at least with the Bisque interior color. I don't know if this color set changes with the Gray interior.

3. Languages: Spanish has been added as a third language choice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
will it attract ants?

DanMan32 said:
It is only on the 2006. I believe someone mentioned that it is marking travel that it is memorizing. I think there's a setting where it can learn about new roads?
On my 2005, I used the navigation system only once to find a resturant. When we got there, we discovered the place went out of business and was closed.

And ever since that night, the navigation map displays a little red bread crumb there. So I guess it's not a "2006 only" thing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: will it attract ants?

RealAle said:
DanMan32 said:
On my 2005, I used the navigation system only once to find a resturant. When we got there, we discovered the place went out of business and was closed.

And ever since that night, the navigation map displays a little red bread crumb there. So I guess it's not a "2006 only" thing.
Yeah, mine will do that, but what I am talking about here is a trail of bread crumbs...as in, along the path your car has been. Not just one where you once were.

I would think, after a time, it would be confusing to follow, unless it resets every time you start the car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have a 2006 Package #7 and don't have a trail of bread crumbs (nor a dot to places I have been.. but there are blue flags on places that are in my GPS' memory). Although, I do know there is a way for it to record routes, as previously mentioned.. so I would find it safe to think that is what the "red bread crumb" trail is..

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phish Phood said:
I have a 2006 Package #7 and don't have a trail of bread crumbs (nor a dot to places I have been.. but there are blue flags on places that are in my GPS' memory). Although, I do know there is a way for it to record routes, as previously mentioned.. so I would find it safe to think that is what the "red bread crumb" trail is..
If that is the case, then my mother in laws is set to record the trail. Someone drove the car from Miami to where she bought it, I assume another dealer, since we found a Blackberry phone had been left in the phone settings.

I wonder, then, how do you turn off the trail?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: will it attract ants?

RealAle said:
DanMan32 said:

That's simply a location added to your memory points, or you never cleared your destination. Check your memory under the NAV menu for unused or obsolete locations. Previous points may have a factor in this too, though I didn't think they would leave markers in the map, but simply be available to be recalled as a destination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.