Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll:

Got my new Prius last Saturday. Now I am trying to figure out which bluetooth phone to get. Have read a few post talking about ones that won't work with Prius, not sure where to start. Any advice is welcome. I live in Pensacola, FL, so that may limit which cell phone service I can choose from

thanks

Georgia Leaver

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Georgia and Congratulations on your new Prius. You're very lucky.

I have heard that the Sony-Ericsson phones work best and I can agree that they do because I tested mine in my rental prius (My phone is a T616) and it worked flawlessly. Plus, the major advantage to having the sony besides it's compatability with the Prius is that it works great Syncing with your Mac or PC and the telephone is not expensive (under $100) when upgrading with Cingular anyhow.

Good Luck and enjoy!!! :) Im happy for you

-Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
If your not in a hurry. The Nokia 9500 is the phone for you.

You have totally awesome technology in your car, why not have awesome technology in your phone?

The 9500 is the undisputed best. The one its replacing, the 9290 doesn't have bluetooth because it came out 4 years ago. But even today that phone is still top of the line.

The 9500 should be out at the end of Sept. to Mid Oct.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The 2005's are out already??? I thought October was the release date for those.

As for cell phones, mine is OFF, stored in the little drawer of the center console, and comes out only when the car is parked and I need to make a call. It's off again, and stowed away, before the car goes back into Drive. Sometimes I don't make a call for weeks at a time. Once I found a voice message that was 2 weeks old. But my friends know that the cell phone is not the way to reach me. Talking on the phone while driving is a distraction, even if your hands are free, and causes lots of accidents.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree, talking and driving, on a phone or to a passenger or to yourself, is distracting.

I have a cell that is my only phone. I am looking forward to getting a bluetooth-upgrade so that I can see who is calling and choose to take only emergency calls.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Siemens S56 is pretty cool - works great with the Prius - actually allows you to move a call from the cell phone to the car's audio - haven't found another that does this (yet).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Here I go again starting a debate on the merits of Verizon's MotoV710...

I recently bought this phone, and couldn't be happier with it EXCEPT for the inability to push my phone book from the handset to the car. In terms of making or receiving calls from Kitt (my car...), the Bluetooth system works flawlessly.

I'm sticking with Verizon because in general, they have far and away the best service in L.A., imho. Almost no dropout areas, dropped calls, nothin'. Not the case when I'm talking to friends who have different carriers.

As for the phone itself, it gets even better reception than my recently-retired LG4400. One of the few places where I could never get calls was inside my neighborhood grocery store. With the V710, no problem.

Yesterday, I called Motorola's 800-number to ask about the double-secret firmware upgrade we've all been hearing about on phonescoop, slashdot, etc. She PROMISED me that although some Bluetooth file transfer functions would still be disabled per Verizon mandate, we WILL soon be able to push phonebook data to our cars.

Is it obnoxious of Verizon to lock out some BT features for "security" reasons, even though we all know it's to promote their pay services? Sure, but their overall network superiority makes them worth sticking with for me. YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts