Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Everyone,

I decided to take advantage of the tax credit for 2006 and went to my local dealership and bought a 06 Prius, Package 7.

I got them to deduct the $619 for the "toyoguard protection package". So I didn't pay for that.

Total drive out price was 30,956.68 (TTT) and that's including the 100,000 mile extended warranty that has $0 deductible.

Only thing that I wasn't happy about was having to pay $589.50 for the documentary fee. I have a feeling if I complained enough and threatened to walk out, they might have taken it off.

Car should be here on the 10th of Jan!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Warranty good, maintenance bad. Did you calculate how much you'd spend on the work Toyota lists in the Prius scheduled maintenance? All it really amounts to is oil change and oil filter every 5K, and air filters (ICE/Cabin) every 30K.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe bad, maybe not. I figure I paid $1,000 for the maintenance. Ten oil changes (always seem to run about $70) is $700. The 30K and 50K inspection and filters could be cheap, but could be more. I figure I'm in the range on this and I don't have to spend any money on this car for five years. Not bad, maybe not the cheapest, but not bad.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi folks. I've just registered after lurking while deciding if I really wanted one of these funny looking things. Decided I did, so ordered one in late September and took delivery of 2006 #7 on Monday.

So far it's a blast and exceeding my expectations. It'll be my wife's daily driver. She's jazzed.

Thanks to all for the good info in the past. I look forward to participating.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Congratulations! I'm not a jealous person, but I feel myself turning a bit green with envy as I read about these 2006 new cars with extra options. Enjoy and drive safely. :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stay left said:
That sounds really cheap to me. That's what I walked out paying for my #6. I got the "platinum" 3 year extended warranty and the pre-paid maintenance. Did you pay MSRP?
Yeah, I paid msrp for the car. It was pretty much MSRP + package 7 + toyoguard + carpets. I said that I refuse to pay for toyoguard so they took off $619. If I worked a little harder, I am 90% sure they would have thrown in the floor mats for free (which was 219). The extended warranty was for 100,000 miles and I haggled it down to 950. The guy said it was almost "at cost" but I don't believe him.

The car is suppose to be here already but I guess i'll hear from the dealer by the end of the week.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
stay left said:
Ten oil changes (always seem to run about $70) is $700.
$70? Where are you getting your oil changed? My dealer charges about $40 for the oil change only, and with the 5K mini (for the tire rotation) it is $55. I probably could do less elsewhere, but I am bucking for the free tires.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oil, filter, gasket, fluid top-offs, and tire rotation cost me $39.60 at my Toyota dealership. I strongly suggest you find another dealership. That's ridiculous. You are getting ripped off.

·
Registered
457 Posts
" I wasn't happy about was having to pay $589.50 for the documentary fee."
That's way over the top. How do they possibly justify that..? They must not care about referrals or return customers. My documentary fee (what ever that is ..?) was $45.
I pay $37.50 for Oil change/filter and tire rotate at San Diego Toyota. I presume they're making a profit.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Some dealers have a "free tires for life" package that they offer to car buyers. Bascily it's an umbrella under which they over-charge you for regular scheduled maintenance, because if you go somewhere else... you lose the benefit.

I got roped in to an alignment at 15,000 before I opted out of the 'free tires' program. Now, at roughly 53,000 I figure I've saved about $450 or so over what the 'free tires for life scheduled maintenance plan' costs over what the '2004 Prius scheduled maintenence guide' costs.

I'm still on my OEM tires... I can't imagine new ones costing me more than that...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
stay left said:
Maybe bad, maybe not. I figure I paid $1,000 for the maintenance. Ten oil changes (always seem to run about $70) is $700. The 30K and 50K inspection and filters could be cheap, but could be more. I figure I'm in the range on this and I don't have to spend any money on this car for five years. Not bad, maybe not the cheapest, but not bad.
I agree with Stay Left on this one and agree to disagree with Danman on this. You get 11 scheduled services. Oil changes at 5k intervals, tire rotations at each 5k, Alignments no matter how many time you hit the "Curb" and miss-align the wheel-steering-suspension. each prescribed maintanance at; 15k, 30k, 45k, at less than $1000 as paid by Satay Left
will beat $ wise: the pay at the time as you go route. I have this plan on all my Toyotas. I have calculated that even with my Toyota employees discount the Pre-Paid will pay me back by itself ! Also to note, it is not a 5 year maintanance. It is a: 4/55.000 miles but if you do not drive your vehicle enough. Then will be till you reach 55.000 miles thus could be 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Rickey, now that you own a Prius, I suggest you look at that required maintenance list you got with your car. Oh wait, you got it used. You can get it from Toyota's site. There isn't much needed at even 30/60K.

·
Registered
24 Posts
stay left said:
Where are all you getting your oil changed?? I had mine done in November and it cost me 9.95! I didn't have the tires rotated because I had snow tires and rims put on the week before!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
gasma said:
stay left said:
Where are all you getting your oil changed?? I had mine done in November and it cost me 9.95! I didn't have the tires rotated because I had snow tires and rims put on the week before!!
Well we know that you are in a nasty weather area if you have snow tires so that may be why you can get a $9.95 oil change. I am not too sure about the quality of work you are getting done. $35045 seems to be the norm. SD Toyota is a bit lower than Carlsbad but I get a carwash and I can go shopping in Carlsbad....

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
To the last 2 posters,

I'd be really nervous about the quality of the $9.95 oil chg.(does it also include a good oil filter for that price?) that gasma is getting. But if I were paying the $35045(Hee Hee) that salsawonder thinks is the norm, well I would just order a new Prius each time instead of getting that expensive oil chg. done. It would be cheaper. #1 Order 1st Prius, #2 Take delivery, #3 Immediately order next Prius, #4 When "maintenance required" light starts blink'g, run down & take delivery of the next Prius( it should be ready by then), #5 Immediately order another Prius, #6 Then when that one's "maintenance required" light starts blink'g just keep repeat'g steps 4 & 5. Just think, you could build your own clutch or pod of Prii, each time changing color combo's or option pkg's all for a price cheaper than salsawonder's oil chg cost. I would enjoy doing that. Just having fun at your expense, salsawonder. Take it lightly. Thanks. Bye!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ct. Ken V said:
To the last 2 posters,

I'd be really nervous about the quality of the $9.95 oil chg.(does it also include a good oil filter for that price?) that gasma is getting. But if I were paying the $35045(Hee Hee) that salsawonder thinks is the norm, well I would just order a new Prius each time instead of getting that expensive oil chg. done. It would be cheaper. #1 Order 1st Prius, #2 Take delivery, #3 Immediately order next Prius, #4 When "maintenance required" light starts blink'g, run down & take delivery of the next Prius( it should be ready by then), #5 Immediately order another Prius, #6 Then when that one's "maintenance required" light starts blink'g just keep repeat'g steps 4 & 5. Just think, you could build your own clutch or pod of Prii, each time changing color combo's or option pkg's all for a price cheaper than salsawonder's oil chg cost. I would enjoy doing that. Just having fun at your expense, salsawonder. Take it lightly. Thanks. Bye!

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)
Now that sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I'm not sure how this compares to other areas but I did a lot of homework over 3 months, looked on the net to find dealers with inventory, talked to the sales folks to get a feel for their attitude, then picked a dealer I liked.

I walked in on Saturday, introduced myself, told the sales person which one I wanted to drive (yes they had multiples of option 7), did the test drive and then made an offer of MSRP out the door with ext. warr.

No discussion just an introduction to the owner (Ken Ganley of Akron, Ohio) and a thank you for my business. 2 hours later I was done with the paper work, overview of owners manual, full tank of gas and on the road.

Green took me by surprise since I am a red fan but the red for 06 has changed and my wife liked the green (as shown on 06 brochure).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.