Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to be towed. Flashing lights and warnings galore. 18K miles on my '02 classic. Dealer Service dept. says "they got a code" but he could not tell me which code or what the problem is. I was informed that they have to contact Toyots HQ before they can do anything. Does this sound about right? Thank goodness for warrantees! :cry:
:D
follow-up: Saturday they knew the code and probably ordered the parts. Monday afternoon I was called that the car was repaired. The problem was as follows:
code P3191 The ECU and circuit relays were replaced as per a technical service bulletin EG011-03
The repair was quick and under warrantee. It leaves me wondering, though, if there was a TSB out on the model, why wasn't I contacted about the problem? I have not moved or changed tele#s since I bought the car, but I was unaware that there was this TSB out on the car. It is a very good thing it did not break down on my 1100 mile trip two weeks ago. I guess if you have an '02, you might want to contact the dealer and find out if it can be repaired as a deterent to unexpected troubles.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Probably better luck with regular staff; my own local dealer has 3 "Prius certified" techs, but they only work Mon-Fri.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
danke

Thanks for the moral support. I can't wait to get back my little blue moon pearl. They loaned a Matrix and I don't like it one bit!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
follow-up

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:14 am Post subject: boo-hoo for my '02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had to be towed. Flashing lights and warnings galore. 18K miles on my '02 classic. Dealer Service dept. says "they got a code" but he could not tell me which code or what the problem is. I was informed that they have to contact Toyots HQ before they can do anything. Does this sound about right? Thank goodness for warrantees!

follow-up: Saturday they knew the code and probably ordered the parts. Monday afternoon I was called that the car was repaired. The problem was as follows:
code P3191 The ECU and circuit relays were replaced as per a technical service bulletin EG011-03
The repair was quick and under warrantee. It leaves me wondering, though, if there was a TSB out on the model, why wasn't I contacted about the problem? I have not moved or changed tele#s since I bought the car, but I was unaware that there was this TSB out on the car. It is a very good thing it did not break down on my 1100 mile trip two weeks ago. I guess if you have an '02, you might want to contact the dealer and find out if it can be repaired as a deterent to unexpected troubles.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
a TSB is just a Technical Service Bulletin. They are put out to help the service techs with new data. Sometimes they're put out just to note a repair manual supplement. Often they'll be put out outlining common problems that other techs have seen with a particular vehicle, and how to fix this common problem. Typically the warranty period listed on the TSBs just clarifies that the individual component is covered by which existing warranty. Nothing really new, and they're not usually sent out to customers.

However, a LSC or SSC (Limited/Special Service Campaign) will be sent out to Toyota customers. That's usually an extended warranty for a known bad part, or some preventative fix that they want you to have before it causes you trouble.

If it's a safety-related problem, or an emissions-related problem, then you'll get a recall notice in the mail. again, extended warranties on known bad parts.

when I can get ahold of them, I've been posting TSBs over here:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius-sat1/
in the Files > TSBs section, or in the Message Archives if all I can get is a text writeup. I am still missing most issued in 2004...

I may have posted the TSB EG011-03 previously on this site, but I don't recall. You can read it here:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 011-03.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts