Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as we like getting ungodly mileage on these things, they do need to be parked occasionally. I'm afraid of parking lots full of jerks who don't give a damn about their own, or anybody else's cars. Has anybody thought about, researched or actually done it? That is, adding some side molding to the doors to protect those big unprotected expanses of sheetmetal. I saw an ad in a Motorweek magazine about a year ago and have been unable to find it again or anywhere on the net. They were selling side molding with a magnetic backing. Just slap it on in a parking lot and snatch it off to drive. Or leave it on while driving. And it looked like real molding, not those big, ugly, obivous vinyl pads with a magnetic strip they sell on e-bay and on the auto accessory web sites. It came in different sizes and colors to match the car. Who knows where to buy that stuff? Please e-mail me directly if you know a source. [email protected]

·
Registered
190 Posts
http://www.dingguard.com/

Personally, I'm not sold - I just try to use the technique that seems to work best for me (so far) - park far away and try to have one side near the curb if possible. The idea is that most people who do the dinging are lazy so they try to park close.

Mike N. said:
As much as we like getting ungodly mileage on these things, they do need to be parked occasionally. I'm afraid of parking lots full of jerks who don't give a damn about their own, or anybody else's cars. Has anybody thought about, researched or actually done it? That is, adding some side molding to the doors to protect those big unprotected expanses of sheetmetal. I saw an ad in a Motorweek magazine about a year ago and have been unable to find it again or anywhere on the net. They were selling side molding with a magnetic backing. Just slap it on in a parking lot and snatch it off to drive. Or leave it on while driving. And it looked like real molding, not those big, ugly, obivous vinyl pads with a magnetic strip they sell on e-bay and on the auto accessory web sites. It came in different sizes and colors to match the car. Who knows where to buy that stuff? Please e-mail me directly if you know a source. [email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use that techinque also. But at some parking lots, Costco and the like, every space is full so you have to take what you can find. And it never fails, some 300 pound ******* in a 1985 Cadillac with huge 300 pound doors parks right next to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too am afraid some jerk will dent my baby. I always park at the end of the lot away from the store. But even then sometimes I find someone parked next to me at the end of the lot. Hard to avoid jerks I guess.
I saw those stick-on bumper protectors in car matching colors at the dealer, but never saw the magnetic door protectors. I too would be interested. I am thinking about the 3M coating sheets to protect the entire car, but the kits are expensive.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mike N. said:
Has anybody thought about, researched or actually done it? That is, adding some side molding to the doors to protect those big unprotected expanses of sheetmetal. I saw an ad in a Motorweek magazine about a year ago and have been unable to find it again or anywhere on the net. They were selling side molding with a magnetic backing. It came in different sizes and colors to match the car. Who knows where to buy that stuff? Please e-mail me directly if you know a source. [email protected]
-
It would be nice if they posted the info here so that all would have the info, not just Mike!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I always find that when I park way out in the middle of nowhere, literally, like 200 yards from the store, I find someone right next to me when I get out there. I really get mad, then I have to inspect the side that they parked by.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't found the exact stuff I saw in the Motorweek ad yet, but I have purchsed some bulk flexable magnetic material. It's the kind of stuff your refrigerator magnets are made out of. I plan to try cutting it into strips and glueing (flexible glue) regular (glue on type) body molding onto it. I'll let you know the results and post pictures and descriptions of the process when done.

Mike

·
Registered
884 Posts
Parking lot dents

I have a 2002, but have avoided dents by parking next to side curbs, like landscaping strips, or next to handicapped spots where you only have to contend with one other car. So far, I have been lucky.

In regular lots, don't use the "compact car only" slots, which are narrower, and never park next to a 4x4 or a Hummer. They are wider and their drivers don't care about denting economy cars (or trees and rocks).

At concerts and events where you have to park with the masses, park next to another small car. The Prius is narrow and you'll have plenty of clearance. Also, other new cars with temporary plates usually will try to avoid denting your car (because they don't want to damage THEIR paint).

Use caution in applying temporary coverings or coatings to your paint as some can trap moisture and cause the paint to delaminate or rust underneath.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts