Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just become a proud owner of a seaside pearl 2006. Everything in options possible except leather, so I guess thats a package 7 in the U.S.
But I do have the cool park assist feature......

Ok, when I connected my SonyEricsson Z800 to the car and tried it, the sending volume was way too low wich I adjusted with the help of the excellent instruction found on this friendly site. The mic sending volume was able to change between -5 to +5. It was set at 0 at delivery and I changed it in steps all the way up to +5 to get an acceptable volume, according to my somewhat halfdeaf wife. I haven´t tried it yet while driving, maybe the high setting will make it to sensitive to function while driving.

Anyway, my real question, in the same menu as the send volume is a setting for "voice qaulity" that can be changed in steps from 0 to 33 (or 44) or something like that. What is it and what difference does it do? I´ve seen this being asked before here but haven´t seen an answer. It can´t possible be that noone here know this, or....

I also thought of posting some pictures of my car, mainly showing the differences between the us version and the european version, any interest for that?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi, Sprett,

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you because I've had the same question for 2 years with my 04. The sound quality is terrible and sometimes it's very difficult to understand the person I'm speaking with. Anyone have a suggestion? Is it just the phone? I have Motorola 815.

Susan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no problem with the incoming transmission, it has excellent sound quality. But the outgoing is real bad, according to my wife it sounds like i´m trapped in a trashcan...

What puzzles me the most is the fact that a lot of people in this forum has downloaded the full set of repair manuals for the prius and still haven´t posted how this works. It has to be covered in the repair manuals, right?

And no, I can´t download the manuals myself since i´m not an american citizen and the swedish Toyota site does not offer this possibility.

Come on guys, show me some rare knowledge to prove this Prius site to be the most competent in the world 8)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
sprett said:
And no, I can´t download the manuals myself since i´m not an american citizen and the swedish Toyota site does not offer this possibility.
Are you looking at the right place? http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/ covers Sweden, but the manuals for the EU NHW20 are only available in English, Spanish, French, and German.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
sprett said:
What puzzles me the most is the fact that a lot of people in this forum has downloaded the full set of repair manuals for the prius and still haven´t posted how this works. It has to be covered in the repair manuals, right?
No, the repair manuals don't cover those settings at all. Actually there's a lot of settings hidden in the display that are probably meant for engineering than repair.

But the European and Asian based manuals sometimes contain info we don't get, so you might want to search for manuals specific for your market, rather than be possibly steered wrong with US/Canada manuals.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks Michelle for finding the downloadable repair manuals for me. I will get a 1-day subscription some day while i´m free and download as much as possible to see if I can find out some more about these menus and settings.

The everlasting quest for knowledge continues... 8)

·
Registered
59 Posts
sprett said:
The everlasting quest for knowledge continues... 8)
Much knowledge can be gained by experimentation. So you have accessed the voice quality settings but haven't adjusted them to see what happens? If you have adjusted them and didn't notice any differences, then I'd say they have no noticeable benefit....

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
From various talks (chats), I theorize that the 'voice quality' setting adjusts when the system switches from full duplex (both parties can hear each other at the same time) to half duplex (only the loudest person can be heard), which is done to prevent feedback.

But that's just a theory.

·
Registered
86 Posts
DanMan, please could you elaborate..... I have been playing with the settings, but not really had any notable results.

I find the quality great, but when there is noise at the remote end, it seems to cause the car to stop transmitting... I reackon it is the noise being so loud that the half duplex thing comes in.

How can we make it either full duplex or much less sensitive to noise at the remote end (not the car end!)

Thanks

S

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't have a bluetooth phone, so I can only speculate from what I understand about speakerphones (the car is one giant speakerphone adapter), and posts people have made.

Even from your experience, there comes a point when one party can't hear the other. Bidirectional communications, where communications can only occur in one direction at a time, is called half-duplex. Consider the walkie-talkie as an example.

I believe the quality setting sets the sensitivity where it will go from full duplex to half duplex. Now I don't know if it is adjusting the sensitivity of you, or of the other party. If I ever get a bluetooth phone, I'll be able to experiment and let you know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.